UK Customs - 20% VAT on records over £15 from US + handling fee

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by hammondjake, Apr 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gazebo

gazebo Active Member

As I pointed out earlier there's no pot of gold in taxing individuals, there is in stopping evasion by multinationals. I read somewhere that Ireland was pushing the UK hard to close the Channel Islands loophole.

2. imarcq

imarcq Men are from Mars, I'm from Bromley...

I worked for Ken :)

phil1db likes this.
  3. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

Agreed but they still could have closed the loophole without reducing the customs amount from £18 - £15 for the average guy on the street.

4. As if the VAT wasn't bad enough, the handling charge is just outrages. I didn't mind it on a big order but when you bought a single item it was just a total rip off. The guy at my local post office always apologised to me in embarrassment. In the end I basically stop buying abroad.

5. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

How much is the handling free?

6. hodgo

It depends on the Courier, as I said in an earlier post this can range between £8 - £25, with Royal Mail it's £8 but about three years ago I got stung for £25 from one courier whose name I can't remember, the thing is we as a customer have no control over which courier is used.

7. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Now thats total rip-off!
    I must have missed that earlier mention, thanks for the mention.

8. bibijeebies

bibijeebies vinyl hairline spotter

Yep, you are right and with the privatisation of the post in Europe we got even less control. You also have to be very careful with special premium services like express because the whole shipment will be handled by more than one carrier and the express part you pay for is only "guaranteed" by the first carrier and subsequently - when it enters the destination country for instance - it wil be handled by another carrier and like a standard shipment. Consumers and small companies are paying far too much this way for services they do not get!

hodgo likes this.
  9. phil1db

phil1db Senior Member

:righton:

imarcq likes this.
  10. Cousin It

Cousin It Senior Member

Bastards:realmad:

11. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

Caught twice now they have got much more dilligent since the Fees went up.

For the record i ahve no problem with paying the VAT, the only reason i buy from the US is because the stuff just is not available in the UK.

The problems i have are with fees which exceed the value of the TAX.

The govenement did reduce the low value shipment from £18 to £15 but i beleve its based on EU legislation. It was 20 or 25 Euros, of course theer are some European countries which are less dilligent about tax collection than others and as a consiquence they are moaning about the pain they are in now.

12. imarcq

imarcq Men are from Mars, I'm from Bromley...

I thought Leslie Philips WAS Horace in that Comic Strip Presents. I love Kate Bush :) Great song! Thanks for reminding me :)

13. Emberglow

Emberglow Senior Member

That wouldn't surprise me. A few years ago, the Irish government introduced a flat charge of €1 per item purchased from CDWow.com following complaints from retailers HMV, Virgin and Golden Discs. CDWow were exploiting some loophole and exporting CDs and DVDs from Honk Kong with the added fillip of free delivery! They were effectively flooding the Irish market with VAT-free produce that the Irish retailers couldn't possibly compete with. I'm sure the UK retailers must have been affected, too, and complained to the UK authorities.

14. hodgo

Yes they most certainly were/are affected by this, whilst I don't go to physical stores I do use many small online retailers regularly, speaking to them as I often do they run on very small profit margins and it's almost impossible for them to compete with the likes of Amazon, look at it this way take Amazon UK for example, they are using the loophole of importing from the Channel Islands, add to that due to them being based offshore they have further loopholes to exploit and as such pay virtually no income tax, the small stores just can't compete, they pay full UK income tax rates, VAT, are unable to use the Channel Islands loophole and also have to pay more for the items they sell, whilst the massive size of Amazon enables them to get a better wholesale deal on the prices they pay for any item, allowing them to basically walk over the small retailers.

15. With Royal Mail I always had to pay the GBP8 (orders from amazon US), but with private couriers I actually got lucky most of the time and paid nothing, e.g. orders from PopMarket or elusivedisc.

16. Claude

Claude Senior Member

In the EU, there is a tax-free limit of 22€ for regular sales and 45€ for gifts.

Customs can open the package to verify if the gift claim is plausible. German customs are known to sometimes do detective work, checking recent Ebay auctions on the items and so on (also to find out the real value). So there is always a risk involved in stating a lower value or marking it as a gift when it's in fact a sale.

17. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

In Switzerland it is 60 Chf or 50 Euros.

They are pretty strict here, and the customs/handling charges are pretty high, around 25 chf if you are just over the limit!

Of course with the increased postal costs from the US my purchases from there have cut down drastically, I've seen some sellers charging over $20 shipping for an lp to Europe now.

18. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

When I lived in the UK I experienced the opposite. Royal Mail delivered items tended to escape the charges but private couriers I usually got nailed.

The Royal Mail charges are a steal compared to what Fedex or UPS charge. They charge by value of shipment and there's a minimum fee.

19. QuestionMark?

QuestionMark? 4TH N' GOAL

I haven't read the whole thread here but the problem as I see it is insurance. I recently sold two expensive 45's to bidders from the UK. In order for me to insure the records for full price, you have to declare full price on the customs form. If I say it is a gift and the record gets lost or broken, too bad for me. That's not something I want to do. Both these 45's were 4 to 5 hundred dollars. They cost me over 40 dollars to ship. One of the buyers left no feedback and one left positive feedback with a little message about how it's a shame about the HMRC. I hate to stick buyers with that but what can I do?

Kkfan likes this.
  20. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

What I don't understand is the sending pays FedEx or UPs to deliver an item and the person receiving has to pay them again? How do they get away with that?

21. Satrus

Satrus Forum Resident

That would probably be right. What I cannot understand though is how our [Irish] Government can extend so much in the way of tax breaks to multinationals such as Google, PayPal and many others to set up business here by offering low corporation taxes etc. Britain, France, Germany etc. have been railing against this for a long time. I am surprised that the U.K. would even listen to us with complaints about the Channel Islands' loophole!

The example of Starbucks for instance and how they can avoid paying proper taxes in the U.K. is nothing short of a travesty, to my mind. I guess it's much easier to hit the small guy buying a few records/CDs than these sprawling multinationals.

sound chaser likes this.
  22. love4another

love4another Forum Resident

Yes and the answer is to fight it.

It is EXTORTION. SCREW customs.

It's merely a statute and not a real law. The real law of our land is COMMON LAW.

23. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

FedEx or UPS shipping cost does not include duty/tax payable in the country the goods are sent to, that's what the addressee has to pay when they receive the goods.

24. love4another

love4another Forum Resident

People need to stop complaining about everything and get POLITICALLY active.

We are being lied to and ripped off daily. Contact you MEPs, visit you MPs: I do myself.

We are the only ones who can change things.

25. Yup, catch 22. I always asked well known sellers to declare a lower amount with me assuming full responsibility.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.