Ultimate HQCD (UHQCD) - new CD format, King Crimson on UHQCD and more

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by toilet_doctor, Aug 10, 2016.

1. zappaien

zappaien Forum Resident

Ok, just ordered it, thanks

Any reviews on Moody blues one ?

2. Rigoberto

Rigoberto Forum Resident

The two stereo Beach Boys MQAs that were shipped out yesterday from Japan arrived today. Have played both several times. There is a live in concert version of In My Room (awful!!!!!), but other than that everything is great. The version of Be True To Your School does not have the cheerleaders, fortunately. And the version of Help Me Ronda is the long one with the volume variations near the end.

Both the these are the titled The Best Of The Beach Boys. The one with the green cover (and back) is a gatefold. The other one looks more plain.

I really enjoy Ten Little Indians.

3. Rigoberto

Rigoberto Forum Resident

Oh, woops, looks like one is called The Best Of The Beach Boys Vol. 2. Was hard to see the Vol. 2 part until I put on reading glasses. This is the one with the live recording on it.

One other thing the track Shut Down is not on here either. Another disappointment. It's the other Shut Down. Forget what's it is called at the moment.

In My Room being a live recording is not mentioned on the packaging either. So that's two errors.

swintonlion and Jagger69 like this.
  4. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Are they errors or what was on the original Japanese releases?

Shvartze Shabbos and Jagger69 like this.
  5. Rigoberto

Rigoberto Forum Resident

Good question. I don't have any Japan LPs from 1965.

6. Rigoberto

Rigoberto Forum Resident

Anyone noticed how there are only 3 upcoming MQA CDs. And two of them are classical. The other is that delayed Beach Boys title. Nothing upcoming after that.

Jagger69 likes this.
  7. swintonlion

swintonlion Forum Resident

Wouldn't be too concerned yet, japan news on its new releases is notoriously slow in January and only for a delay the Beach Boys cd would have been released in December, hopefully there will be more cds news coming in February or early March.

toilet_doctor and Jagger69 like this.
  8. toilet_doctor

toilet_doctor "Rockin' chair's got me" Thread Starter

The first two albums by alternative rock band The National, with a new remaster from Abbey Road Studios, received UHQ treatment in Japan by independent 4AD Records:

Feb. 26, 2021
    (UHQCD)
    The National S/T
    The National Sad Songs for Dirty Lovers
    (2CD)

[​IMG]

The National marks the start point for one of the best bands of their generation with its new master helping elevate it to new levels. A great primer to a great band.

[​IMG]

The National [UHQCD] / The National
    “A memorable self-titled debut album released in 2001. Released two years after the band was formed, this work sublimates the influence of predecessor alternative band Pavement, but already Matt Berninger's swaying withered dandyism, outstanding band arrangements and ensembles, very much. A masterpiece with a mature originality that does not seem to be a rookie band, as an introductory edition that suggests the current band image. At that time, Aaron Dessner was the bass, and Scott Devendorf was the guitarist, and Bryce Dessner, who later officially joined, participated as a guest musician. Produced by the band and Nick Lloyd, who is still indispensable to the Brooklyn music scene, the opener "Beautiful Head", "Cold Girl Fever" and "Cold Girl Fever" are suitable for the dawn of The National's history. Includes 12 songs including the unique ambient folk "29 Years" that is self-quoted in the 4th album "Boxer" with famous songs such as "Son". For this recurrence, we are using the latest remastered sound source performed at Abbey Road Studios.” [$19.27]

Review
    The National are amazing
    I have Sad Songs, Alligator, Boxer, and High Violet. I had put off getting this album and the Cherry Tree EP, just so I would have something to look forward to when I did eventually make the purchase.....Man, I wish I hadn't waited so long. This album is great. The first 6 songs are amazing straight through, if you haven't picked up this album or checked these guys out, you really need to. See them live if you ever have the opportunity. Great great band, great album. Catchy, beautiful guitar sounds, drums sound so crisp. Nothing bad to say here
    .” (Alex Dicicco, April 26, 2011)

To fully appreciate this band, necessary to get into the lyrics.

The National – Son

Pay for Me
    https://youtu.be/KLtaBf0pMZQ
    Anna Freud
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ir9E4iOI-Mo
    American Mary
    https://youtu.be/1s1uwrdMJDY
    Bitters & Absolut
    https://youtu.be/tOmgSbLM9d0

The National's second album, Sad Songs For Dirty Lovers (2003) proved a leap forward from 2001's eponymous debut, showing a band adept at delivering warm embraces and gut punches in equal measure.”

[​IMG]

Sad Songs for Dirty Lovers [UHQCD] / The National
    “The second album that Bryce Dessner officially joined and was recorded for the first time in the current five-member group. In addition to the leap from the debut work, Peter Katis, who brought out the potential for the band to break at once from here, was invited as a co-producer, and the rock number "Available" that peels off the fangs from the aged mood of the debut work This work has been acclaimed by critical media such as Pitchfork and Uncut while showing a new phase such as "Slipping Husband" where Matt Berninger, who is now familiar, suddenly rages after passing through the spiral of beautiful arpeggio and beautiful chorus. As the title of the album suggests, Berninger's self-deprecating bitterness and the band's powerful hooks gave birth to chemistry, and it is no exaggeration to say that the foundation of The National was laid by this work. For this recurrence, it will be released as a 2-disc set using the latest remastered sound source performed at Abbey Road Studios and adding "Cherry Tree EP" as a bonus disc only for the Japanese CD.” [$24.08]

Review
    A National Treasure!
    Ever hear a band that has been around for a while and think: "How have I not heard about these guys!" That's the case with The National. Imagine Leonard Cohen's love child forms a band, that's the sound of singer Matt Berninger, supported by a band that knows how to create just the right accompaniment to his haunting poetry. I bought their latest, then within a week bought the rest of their catalog. I just play them all on shuffle and they flow together seamlessly, carrying you along in every emotion under the sun
    .”
    (Gabriel Grey, Oct. 27, 2013)

90-Mile Water Wall
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mv1FvMYNRn4
    Available
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMrMFA2fMYs
    Slipping Husband (Live)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMPkwSR20jU

Last edited: Jan 16, 2021
    swintonlion and Jagger69 like this.
  9. zappaien

zappaien Forum Resident

Hi all, just received my brand new mqa cds

I finally bought the moody blues one and the caravan

moody blues is a winner ! Can t compare with the cd since i have them in various cd/sacd albums. But this comp is really good. Really wanted to listen this new dsd 2020 and omfg it’s very good, very detailed, not the foggy sound i used to listen. Very detailed and comfortable

I share you right now the technical staff for this release

tape research Dan Abela and Jason Rapantis ( universal music UK )
    DSD flat transfered from Analogue Master Tapes by Richard Whittaker at FX mastering, London UK in 2020
    Edited in DSD by Manabu Matsumura at Universal Music Studios Tokyo, in 2020

10. toilet_doctor

Thank you for this important info. I was concern about the sound... Now I will buy it. Whittaker is one of the best.

zappaien and Jagger69 like this.
  11. zappaien

zappaien Forum Resident

You ll not regret it

Jagger69 and toilet_doctor like this.
  12. zappaien

zappaien Forum Resident

And BTW just listened to the Caravan one, exactly same technical staff for the reissue, it s blowing all my previous versions

the flat transfert is very welcome and crankable, very smooth and analogue listen, with Moody blues we have 2 winners for sure. Like the platinum shm some years ago ( ABB or Marvin Gaye )we got quality !

Fairport convention is on the way too seems to be fantastic too

13. Rigoberto

Rigoberto Forum Resident

Ordered the J. J. Cale MQA from Deep Discount and they've shipped it out by 1st Class even though I took the free shipping. Should have it late next week...

14. swintonlion

Some new MQA-CD announced are the first 7 King Crimson albums. No new remastering for these releases but will be card sleeves and bonus tracks. There is no mention of the red book part of the disc if its HQCD or UHQCD or neither, these disc are not universal music japan but RCA Victor so will be interested to see what they make of them, release date March 24th.

toilet_doctor and Jagger69 like this.
  15. noname74

Looks like the Beach Boys 10 Years Of Harmony is finally coming out (tomorrow). I hope it turns out to be worth the wait.

Shawn, toilet_doctor and Jagger69 like this.
  16. swintonlion

Yes, just got word mine is ready to ship but the way the post is could be a long wait.

toilet_doctor, Jagger69 and noname74 like this.
  17. Rigoberto

Rigoberto Forum Resident

JJ Cale showed up today from Deep Discount (ordered Saturday)

[​IMG]
    comes with a sleeve to put the disc in (while still in the protective liner) and a sticker

RiRiIII, Dan, toilet_doctor and 2 others like this.
  18. Jagger69

Jagger69 Forum Resident

How is the SQ of this album?

Dan and toilet_doctor like this.
  19. GetHappy!!

GetHappy!! Forum Resident

The new Ten Years Of Harmony release is very good. There’s been two different CD releases of this before, one for Europe and one for the US, with different mixes used for certain tracks. Neither one of them were great sonically, so this one wins almost by default. This edition uses the single mixes for “Rock And Roll Music”, “It’s OK”, “California Saga / California” and “Come Go With Me”.

Liner notes state:
    Tape research: Peter Macchia (Universal Music Group, USA)
    DSD flat transferred from analogue master tapes by Brett Zinn at Iron Mountain Studio, Boyers, US (Brett Zinn - Engineering Brett appears Courtesy of Iron Mountain Entertainment Services), in 2020.
    Edited in DSD by Manabu Matsumura at Universal Music Studios Tokyo, in 2020.

Only minus would be some of the Surf’s Up tracks sound a little subpar (especially “Disney Girls”), but they’ve always tended to sound a bit muffled any time they’ve appeared digitally. I know The Beach Boys’ research team found a better tape for that album somewhere around 2008 or so, and that better tape appeared on the last Capitol CD remaster, and presumably the AP SACD.

Oh, and I listened to this full MQA with an iFi device and Sennheiser 650s. The packaging, as you would expect, is a perfect reproduction of the original vinyl gatefold. Gorgeous.

20. noname74

Thanks for the detailed review...glad they got the proper single mixes and not the album versions from other CD versions. I didn’t realize It’s OK had a single mix. I think School Day did though, and had the album version on the CD editions...is it the single mix on this disc?

21. GetHappy!!

The only difference (to my knowledge) with the single mix of “It’s OK” is that it’s sped up.
    I’m always confused about “School Days”, I believe it is the single version. And I should add that “It’s A Beautiful Day” is the single version, and “Cool, Cool Water” is the single edit. So I think this basically matches the Euro CD release, which is fine by me because I think it offered the better mixes as opposed to the original LP/US CD.

Jagger69, toilet_doctor and noname74 like this.
  22. noname74

Thanks again. I thought the Euro CD and the original LP had all of the same versions? Can you tell me the differences if you know them?

Jagger69 and GetHappy!! like this.
  23. GetHappy!!

I believe the original US LP and CD used the album versions for all of the aforementioned singles. It was only the original UK/Europe CD (and the LP?) that used the single mixes.

Jagger69 and noname74 like this.
  24. noname74

Gotcha! :tiphat:

25. toilet_doctor

For the 100th Anniversary of Astor Piazzolla, Universal has unearthed 7 very rare albums ($19.11).

March 03, 2021

(UHQCD)
    Astor Piazzolla 1944-1964: Veinte Anos De Vanguardia Con Sus Conjuntos
    Astor Piazzolla El Tango
    Astor Piazzolla Concierto De Tango En El Philharmonic Hall De New York (1965) + 6
    Astor Piazzolla La Historia Del Tango Vol. 1 / La Guardia Vieja [The Old Guard] (1967)
    Astor Piazzolla La Historia Del Tango Vol. 2 / Epoca Romantica (1967) Y Epoca Moderna (1967) + 7
    Astor Piazzolla Colaboraciones 1975-1985
    Astor Piazzolla Olympia '77

Astor Piazzolla - Argentine bandoneon player, orchestra director, Tango and Tango Nuevo composer.
    Born: 11th March 1921, Mar del Plata, Argentina / Died: 4th July 1992.

(translation)
    "7 titles of Astor Piazzolla's 100th Anniversary Phillips & Polydor Years UHQCD Release
    Astor Piazzolla, a composer / bandoneon player, has created a unique playing style that fuses classical and jazz elements based on tango. Even after his death in 1992, he has had a great influence on many musicians, and his fans are increasing both domestically and internationally. Piazzolla will celebrate his 100th anniversary in March 2021, but the catalog by his own performance is not released in a well-organized form due to the huge and diverse labels, and it is difficult to grasp the outline. It was. This time, we reissued all seven titles he left for Philips and Polydor with the first UHQCD. All of these are rare items that have been difficult to obtain, and are a must-see for all fans."

20 years of modern tango 1944-64 [UHQCD] / Astor Piazzolla
    “A 1964 compilation album in which Piazzolla himself reproduced his 20-year career since his debut. A masterpiece that gives you a sense of establishing the world of modern tango.”

Previous release
    [​IMG]
    El Tango [UHQCD] / Astor Piazzolla
    “Recorded in 1965. A collection of works by Piazzolla himself, based on the poems and texts of Jorge Luis Borges. Contains 14 songs, including "Someone Calls Tango" and "Tango for Real and Lo Rijanero".

[​IMG]
    Astor Piazzolla in New York [UHQCD] / Astor Piazzolla
    “Piazzolla first organized Quintate in 1960, but this string ensemble was used to create his own sound, and it was one of the heyday that he infused in 1965 after returning from the New York performance.
    Includes 6 bonus tracks (includes EP "Kin no Dare Hair" released in the same year and single released in 1967)”

[​IMG]
    La Historia Del Tango Vol. 1 / Guardia Vieja [UHQCD] / Astor Piazzolla
    ”A unique work in his career, in which a modern tango genius challenged a classic tango masterpieces. I'm happy with the classic songs such as "El Choclo" and "La Cumparsita".

La Historia Del Tango Vol. 2 / Romantic Era + 7 [UHQCD] / Astor Piazzolla
    “The second volume in which the genius of modern tango challenged the classic tango masterpieces.
    Includes 7 bonus tracks (7 songs including 4 songs recorded for the phantom "Histoire du Tango Vol. 3", which was recorded halfway).”

[​IMG]
    Collaborations 1975-1985 [UHQCD] / Astor Piazzolla
    “A compilation of collaborative recordings left by Piazzolla on Polydor from 1975 to 1985. Includes co-starring with Georges Moustaki and Ney Matogrosso.
    The world's first release as a single product.”

[​IMG]
    Olympia '77 [UHQCD] / Astor Piazzolla
    “A 1977 live album by the group "Conjunto Electronico", which was formed by Piazzolla in the 70's with a devotion to electro.
    The influence from rock / fusion is also felt, and this work has been long awaited by fans for a long time.”

Libertango

Zita (Live) included in Olimpia ‘77
    https://youtu.be/P_vgWOk-9Y8

La Cumparsita (vocal version with Milva)
    https://youtu.be/xORLh1GDiM4

El Choclo
    https://youtu.be/bFwRiaF-d7c

Jagger69 likes this.