Ultimate HQCD (UHQCD) - new CD format, King Crimson on UHQCD and more

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by toilet_doctor, Aug 10, 2016.

1. toilet_doctor

toilet_doctor "Rockin' chair's got me" Thread Starter

P.S.
    Moscow Symphony Orchestra pays tribute to great master of tango

Astor Piazzolla Libertango
    Conductor -- Sergey Zhilin
    Soloists -- Yuri Medyanik (bandoneon), Rodion Petrov (violin)
    Dancers -- Inna Svechnikova, Dmitry Chernysh
    Moscow International House of Music, Sept. 30, 2010

Jagger69 likes this.
  2. Rigoberto

Rigoberto Forum Resident

Has anyone received theirs yet? DeepDiscount sent out an e-mail claiming it was in stock but their website says out of stock and my order does not appear to be shipped yet either.

3. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Mine has shipped from CDjapan...should be here soon.

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  4. Rigoberto

Rigoberto Forum Resident

Mine has shipped from Deep Discount but since it was sent by Media Mail I doubt it if it will be here soon.

5. swintonlion

swintonlion Forum Resident

There is a review by get happy on post #2494 hope this helps.

6. Sunsales

Sunsales Forum Resident

I received my tracking # from ImportCD's - ordered last September.

noname74 likes this.
  7. Rigoberto

Rigoberto Forum Resident

My order for Beach Boys Ten Year Of Harmony from Deep Discount arrived today by Media Mail. I'd post some pictures but my Windows computer got bricked by a Microsoft update so am using a Mac for the time being.

is there anything in particular anyone wants for me to check on the discs? Forget DR numbers... I don't do that..

Jagger69 and toilet_doctor like this.
  8. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

Has anyone listened to any of the Blue Note titles? Also, has anyone compared them to the Blue Note XRCDs and AP issues?

9. Agree. I enjoyed this disc too.

Strangeblue, zappaien and Jagger69 like this.
  10. sixtieswerebest

sixtieswerebest Forum Resident

I loved the Moody Blues one, if they gave this treatment to the classic 7 disks I would be in for the set. Any plans for them to be done?

11. Seems unlikely as lately the MQA titles are more focused on ‘best of’ discs, but who knows? If you’re so inclined there are seven or eight MFSL discs highly recommended and several SACD and DVDV titles, I really like them. I know others have panned the SACD’s though.

12. zappaien

zappaien Forum Resident

That s exactly what i thought when listening to it again today
    This dsd sounds perfect to me , all set need it !

with death of corea, i bought the light as a feather one

13. Rigoberto

Rigoberto Forum Resident

I may buy that Moody Blues one. I do have all their stuff in Quad or Surround though, either on DVD, reel or SACD. I guess the MQAs are done for from Japan. No new announcements.

Jagger69 likes this.
  14. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

I wouldnt assume that...its only mid February.

15. HelpfulDad

HelpfulDad Forum Resident

Would you, or someone who knows for sure, clarify/validate the above statement ".....which converts DSD to PCM before outputting the sound...." especially to the analog outputs? Even better if you could cite authoritative documentation to support the statement. As one of the repliers says, he sends DSD out to his DAC for native DSD conversion and whether that be DSD over PCM or some other way to send a DSD stream to an external DAC, and there must be an oppo setting for that. But, I thought one of the great things about Oppo's were that they converted native DSD to analog without PCM intermediate step.

I was under the impression that in the Oppo BDP95,105 and UDP-205, DSD is converted to analog via a native DSD DAC and is not converted to PCM prior to conversion, but I really don't know, hence the question. I'm asking about the conversion using the internal Oppo DAC to Analog out.

As a sidebar, It is my understanding that one doesn't realize any benefit, audio or video, with any of the BDP95,105 or UDP205 players over their BDP93,103 or UDP203 counterpart if you never use the analog audio output. If anyone can correct or verify my understanding, preferably with an authoritative reference, not their experience, as to whether the digital output between the "5" and "3" series is any different from the HDMI, Toslink, Coax or USB outputs it will be appreciated.

Jagger69 likes this.
  16. HelpfulDad

It certainly will be different set of bits being converted to analog, even starting with the same analog master source. As to "above" IMHO that would be subjective and difficult to answer.

Jagger69 likes this.
  17. The 205 can do it either way - pure DSD or converted to PCM. Depends on your setting and equipment.

18. HelpfulDad

I understand that it can be set either way, but it may not apply to analog if there isn't a separate 1 bit DSD DAC, hence my question. This setting is meaningful for digital output, because it would sending DSD to a Native DSD external DAC. But, less clear if it matters for analog output from an Oppo.

19. Rigoberto

Rigoberto Forum Resident

Sea Cruise sure sounds annoying on the Beach Boys Ten Years of Harmony. The tracks from Surf's Up sound amazing and the ones from Sunflower.

Looks like this one is sold out already... It's not even on the importcds website anymore

I would like to have all the Beach Boys albums released on MQA... assuming the format is still alive, which is questionable at the moment.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2021
  20. HDListener

HDListener Forum Resident

How does "Fourth Of July" sound, and do you have the AP SACDs or HDTracks downloads to compare sound quality on other tracks? Thanks!

21. HDListener

HDListener Forum Resident

Oops, meant to ask about "River Song" and "San Miguel". How do they sound on this MQA set, please?

22. HelpfulDad

It’s friggin’ great. It is the best bit of digital content I own and have ever heard. Everything sounds so realistic on such a 3 dimensional soundstage. I like to pick a single instrument and listen to it and it’s so easy to do with this. Delicate instrument characteristics don’t get lost in crowded passages. This content facilitates that better than anything I’ve ever heard but clean vinyl on a 6 figure system.

I happened to glance at the DAC and it showed that fully decoded, it goes to 352.8/24. This is the first familiar 352.8/24 content I’ve ever heard and is an example of how high sample rates can improve digital transcriptions from analog. The DSD was already excellent for this material, but nothing like MQA/352.
    If you like this band and can fully decode MQA to 352.8/25, this CD will not disappoint.

Jagger69 and Rigoberto like this.
  23. Rigoberto

Rigoberto Forum Resident

San Miguel sounds excellent. River Song don't remember.

24. Rigoberto

Rigoberto Forum Resident

Put in an order at deepdiscount today for Moody Blues and Beach Boys Instrumentals. Had a 10% coupon and they also cut the price of the Moody Blues a bit.

25. Jagger69

Jagger69 Forum Resident

It looks like that this format is still alive. There is only one thing ... at this moment there aren't any new pop/rock titles. Here is a link to new UHQCD's :

CDJapan : Music High Fidelity CD Format HQCD / Complete List of March 2021 Releases

CDJapan : Music High Fidelity CD Format HQCD / Complete List of April 2021 Releases