Ultimate HQCD (UHQCD) - new CD format, King Crimson on UHQCD and more

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by toilet_doctor, Aug 10, 2016.

1. Steve Martin

Steve Martin Wild & Crazy Guy

Because CD's pressed at different plants with the same masters, read by CD drives on many different computers of many different brands/quality over many years, consistently produce the exact same sequence of "1"s and "0"s as verified by AccurateRip.

2. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

So if I rip a UHQCD to image file and burn a standard CD, the origional UHQCD will sound 20% better?

Gaslight likes this.
  3. Steve Martin

Steve Martin Wild & Crazy Guy

No, only the original UHQCD disc played on a CD player has the magic, apparently.

4. saturdayboy

saturdayboy Forum Resident

Does AccurateRip compare a rip to a master, or a rip to a rip?

5. Dr. Mudd

Dr. Mudd Audient

Some need some basic digital 101, but I'm not sure if it's going to help em. That's all!

Riccardo2 likes this.
  6. toilet_doctor

toilet_doctor "Rockin' chair's got me" Thread Starter

As with anything in audio, it depends on a combination of the resolving capability of the system -- Barry Diament

People use to say: God is One. With absolutely the same success, they could say: Digital file is One - the same 0101.
    As I said in my Post #72 (recommended to read for Barry's comment on this matter); OK, as I said:
    Digital file placed on the different carrier sounds different in High-End system.

Corrected CD (UHQCD) just allows my inner Transport and inner DAC performs better. If you will rip it off, it still is the same 0101. Point is: if you will play it through the DAC on the level of mine inner DAC (with upsampling rate up to 728kHz), yes, it will sound about 20% better then original CD through the same DAC. But, if you will play it through Berkeley Reference DAC, it may sound 30-40% better.

Berkeley Audio Design Announces Alpha DAC Reference Series 2 »

P.S. This baby outperformed any available Analog sources for a first time - Robert Harley said.
    2016: Digital finally knocked Analog, as it (in theory) supposed to be.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2016
  7. Hymie the Robot

Thanks. I am sure it sounds like magic. Too bad for me I don't believe in magic. I am sure others will like this, and that is great. I will spend my time looking for better mixes and mastering.

8. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Attaching a numerical % to betterness?

9. toilet_doctor

New recordings will come (like tested in Post #3) in UHQ in Japan and Reg. CD outside of Japan. There is no better mastering and mixing to look for... What will you do?

10. Endymion

Endymion Forum Resident

A Steve Hoffman mastering is 500% better than any of these UHQCDs. :D

Linnaeus Nightingale likes this.
  11. Claus

Claus Senior Member

right..... :D

I don't care about CD, SACD, Blu-ray, DVD-A.... I only listen to the best mastering. I don't waste time listen to old technology!

12. Use_Your_Koala

Use_Your_Koala Forum Resident

How exactly can you quantify superiority in terms of audio quality?

13. toilet_doctor

You can say something only by comparing sonic characteristics of the sound, heaving 2 discs side by side: Openness, Transparency, Soundstage, Bass performance and on...
    The percentage is very subjective and approximate thing. Also good to have Reference disc.

14. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

For any of this, one question matters, "Do you like it?"

Jarleboy likes this.
  15. toilet_doctor

O-yeh... Who can say the opposite. But Steve can put his work on UHQ discs, as well like he used Gold CDs.

Thus, what you said does not have a scene... It the same like to say: A Steve Hoffman mastering is 500% better than any of these Gold CDs.

16. Groggy

Groggy Forum Resident

To the toilet_doctor..... you need to be commended for keeping your cool under the barrage of unbelievable comments that are coming your way!! I suggest people wait & see how these discs sound first (& I think that's the whole point, isn't it?) before making rather pointed attacks.....

17. toilet_doctor

I agree... new releases are coming... Any stupid jokes aside, I just want people to realize one simple thing:

Better Manufactured discs do not contradict better Mastering, but support it.

Lonson and ashlee5 like this.
  18. Endymion

Endymion Forum Resident

The pseudo-science used to convince people to spend their yen on these UHQCDs (even the name sounds ridiculous) is so silly that I don't need to hear one of the discs to know that whatever makes them sound good or bad certainly doesn't have anything to do with this UHQ technology.
    It's all in the mastering.
    This whole campaign is targeted to a few thousand remnants of the high-end analog era who are used to believe in magical (but scientific sounding) processes that promise to make their records sound ever so slightly better so that they can sell them "A Kind Of Blue" yet another time. Japanese marketing experts know how to make money of these hifi-enthusiasts. Apparently "K2 mastering" and "platinun SHM CDs" don't sell enough anymore so here comes UHQCD. Well, reading this thread was fun but I guess everbody has formed an opinion by now. I'm outta here.

19. Rigsby

Rigsby Forum Resident

I hope you're on commission from these guys.

Placebo effect is a wonderful thing.

Endymion and Dr. Mudd like this.
  20. Say It Right

Some of the negativity is eminating from those without equipment listed in their profile information. So, these are often hit and run attacks with a "follow the crowd" mentality. Nevertheless, there's more to SQ than simply the mastering. It's everything from the original recording/source tape through to the playback gear used during the listening session.

21. Hymie the Robot

If you were around when Stereophile magazine was pimping the magical green pen to make CDs sound better, you would be skeptical too. I hope other people like this and it makes them think their system sound better. Me personally, I have plenty of formats, and I rip them all to my PC. I have no interest in this. I am here to laugh at the toilet_doc pimping this. Very funny indeed.

Endymion likes this.
  22. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

You mean not everyone does that?

And green pens are out now as well? Oh boy.

23. Say It Right

While he may be getting carried away a bit, it's not without merit. This thread probably wouldn't have captured my attention, if not for the fact that it was referencing the one set in my collection sampled in this format (from a concert I attended). It did sound better, and the extra expense was justified. Would there be a urge to grab everything they have available? Of course not. However, that Crimson Blu Ray with 3 of these discs in, instead of standard RB would be the distinct possibility. The humor in the thread kind of eludes me, but alos have my doubts that there are leading experts on digital technology contributing either. Something more substantive to post than "0's & 1's" might add more to the discussion.

Linnaeus Nightingale likes this.
  24. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

Do you think Robert Fripp is pimping? After all, he's the one putting this out, not toilet_doctor.

25. Say It Right

Doubt he even has much involvement either. DGM would just make agreements with their Japanese distribution partners, and this allows them some leeway.