Ultimate Led Zeppelin Vinyl Pressings!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Neilson77, Feb 26, 2015.

1. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

I purchased the 2015 vinyl edition of Presence for $9.99 on ebay and gave it a good spin last night. Sounds better than my classics reissue and my US pressing. Very impressed. Especially for 10 bucks.

2. marcfeld69

marcfeld69 Forum Resident

Does anyone have this European German- French III? It sounds much better than my very muddy MO '74 and the latest remaster. I saw a reference to this on a closed thread and decided to bite. I think I'll be very happy with this till I get a plum:

https://www.discogs.com/Led-Zeppelin-Led-Zeppelin-III/release/4043434

But it could be this 1991 release:

https://www.discogs.com/Led-Zeppelin-Led-Zeppelin-III/release/373922

(Mine differs only in that there is no 15 or 16 in the deadwax. My copy is MINT.)

Last edited: Nov 1, 2016
  3. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

Yes! A buddy and I did a shoot-out with his US Porky/Pecko and my early 80s GP "new audio" pressing, which was the clear winner. I really like that one.

4. marcfeld69

Bump

5. Neilson77

Neilson77 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I haven't heard the German-French III you mention but I have recently purchased an original 1970 Plum Dutch 1st press that sounds very nice. I'd say it is nearly on par with my UK Plum A5/B5, just a tad duller but I think that actually suits this album as it can sound quite harsh and shrill due to the nature of the recording. It compares very favourably to the UK Plum! :)

marcfeld69 likes this.
  6. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Forum Resident

Not sure if I've already said this but I'm sorry to report, always the Classic 45RPM release.:love:

7. Neilson77

Heard it, sounds flat and lifeless compared to the UK A5/B5. The midrange on the Plum III is what makes it special, same case with the UK Plum of IV.

hi_watt and Matt Starr like this.
  8. Pastafarian

Well did a shoot out and we all disagree, with you.:shrug:Had you purchased the Flight Case?

9. Neilson77

I have 2 needledrops of the Classic 45 RPM III both done on very high end gear. What do you find better about the 45 RPM III Vs. the UK Plum? It may have a little more detail but it's clearly been treble boosted with EQ. The Plum has more balls and weight to the sound.

10. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

The RL LZII id definitely the punchiest, but is now prohibitively expensive. The George Piros version is a close second and can be purchased for reasonable prices. As far as all the other pressings are concerned, let your ears be the decider. I am a big George Piros fan and try to collect his mastering s of the titles I like.

11. Pastafarian

Well it months ago, round at a friends, as far as I can recall everything was better. Certainly it was more more believable that, they had come round to see us, which doesn't happen very often!

12. Pastafarian

Don't wish to offend but your system is not match for his, fronted by a dCS Pucini CDP, Acuphase amp and Tannoy Kensinton GR. I hate him, he won't ever listen to my "cr**sytem". He's rich and I'm guessing we're talking about the same source, he'll insult anybody, so don't feel any envy at me being privileged to be allowed in his House, come the revolution:buttkick:

13. Neilson77

Pbthal ripped my copy of the UK Plum III I sent him. I used this rip to compare to the 2 different rips of the classic 45 RPM III. Tbh I really don't think super high end gear really offers much better resolution playback. People spend ridiculous money for diminishing returns in getting a negligible improvement in sound quality.

violetvinyl likes this.
  14. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I haven't done any comparisons, but the Zep Roadcase sounds pretty amazing. I don't understand why they can't simply repress them (on double-sided 45 rpm LP's not single sided) and sell them for $59.99 or whatever. I might feel a little saddened because the "market value" of my set will go down, but the world would be a better place.

What prevents something like this?

wwright and FashionBoy like this.
  15. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

The "problem" with these "Porky/Pecko"s is that there are multiple variations that can all sound different.

16. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

Using needledrops to make confident declarations about the best-sounding pressings seems problematic to me.

Edit: Using low-bitrate YouTube audio of rips to demo the SQ of various pressings is even *more* problematic!

john lennonist and Aftermath like this.
  17. Neilson77

Trust me, once you hear the UK Plum IV, all the US Porkys can't compare! Here's a rip of the first 2 tracks I did a while ago...

Neonbeam likes this.
  18. Pastafarian

I forgot to say he made a big thing about having to use Taiyo Yugden Gold Pro(?) audio CD-Rs, took his word on that one:confused:

19. Pastafarian

Are You serious, why don't you put sample on Cloud, so we can decide?

20. Neilson77

Have you actually bothered listening to it to judge the quality?

21. Pastafarian

No, my laptop speakers are bildge. Are not able to put them up, it'd be far better for those potentially shelling out big. The rich ba*****, bought the Flight Case, God knows how much £££££, to play on his Krono (?) turntable.

If you can give me sufficient detail regarding what I need, I may be able to put them on MEGA.

22. jeffgt14

jeffgt14 Forum Resident

You two are arguing about whether red apples or green apples are better. I prefer the UK A5/B5 for LZ III as well but I do know a few people who like the Classic best and a few who like the 2014 best.

My preferences:
    LZ I – US Piros
    LZ II – RL Monarch
    LZ III – UK A5/B5
    LZ IV – US Monarch
    HOH – RL Monarch (I know. Sacrilege. The Porky just doesn’t do it for me)
    PG – UK A1/B5/C1/D1
    Presence – Classic
    ITTOD – US Monarch
    Coda – Don’t really care

Dr. Funk likes this.
  23. Pastafarian

Oh don't you start!:biglaugh:

24. Pastafarian

Well if you can reach some kind on consensus I'm happy to give you samples to actually listen to, however I'm staying out of that one, it's a friendly no sign up fee offer:love:.

25. marcfeld69

Appreciate the reply. [I re-started this thread and suddenly everyone else is commenting on a previous, much older post.] I would just love someone to sit down and compare this German 2nd (turns out it's a 1991 re-press); it really sounds great. I wouldn't hesitate to pick up a Dutch plum, though. I think I might just start a new thread!