Ultra-rare Stones' High Tide and Green Grass with withdrawn cover: is this real?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rubberhead, Mar 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Thanks for pointing out the location. I have been searching for info, and thought it was in LA. Thinking Silverlake area.

By the way, the London records promo only picture disc really is worth $6,000. Anyone have that

2. bibijeebies

bibijeebies vinyl hairline spotter

eBay seller audiofun1967 is audio4fun on discogs and he submitted the pictures there, FWIW.

Archtop likes this.
  3. rubberhead

rubberhead I've never made a bad record Thread Starter

Sorry to hear that (if it's really worth 2K+). How did you price it and sell it?

4. rubberhead

5. parman

parman Music Junkie

Man that is a cool cover photo. I might pick one of those up for my album art wall in my man cave

old school and #OneOccupation like this.
  6. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

The 45 picture sleeve for Have You Seen Your Mother Baby features the same picture.

parman likes this.
  7. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I'm not an expert when it comes to LA locations, but apparently the reservoir seen in the photos no longer exists (and the photo on Wikipedia is of something else). And according to the photographer it's Franklin Canyon:

"Shot at my ex-girlfriend’s family ranch in Franklin Canyon, a reservoir through Beverly Hills that no one knows about. I wanted to take the Stones out of the gritty English city into the southern California landscape. Kids thought the title referred to grass but it didn’t!"

And for the Paint It Black sleeve:

"This was at the same shoot at Franklin Canyon and was used for the European release of the single—but I had no idea it was used as the single cover until much later."

Behind The Covers »

Also, note:

"After the 1971 Sylmar earthquake, safety concerns prompted the DWP to decommission both the upper and lower reservoirs in Franklin Canyon. Their job was taken over by a more modern, rubber-lined facility about a quarter-mile north of the old Lower Reservoir. At this time, most of the canyon was under private ownership, and, with the DWP no longer needing the Upper Reservoir, the way was open for development. There soon arose a plan to build upscale houses on large lots, all through the canyon, but these plans were successfully averted through the efforts of conservationist Sooky Goldman and Comgressman Howard Berman. The property was acquired by the National Park Service, and the lower reaches of the Park were opened to the public around the year 1980. The two reservoirs in the canyon, like all of those operated by the DWP, remained off limits, even by sight, not counting brief glimpses to be had while driving through the hills above."

Wandering In LA: Franklin Canyon, Part I: You'd never know you were in L.A. »

"In 1940, the U.S. was still in an economic deptression, with a 35% unemployment rate. The Federal Government's "Works Projects Administration" (WPA) was created to provide jobs on a large scale, and to accomplish work that required more resources than local governments could afford. The WPA workers built the earthen "Flood Control Dam" at the northern end of what is now the Visitor's Center parking lot, and the winding system of concrete culverts, tunnels and walls to protect the reservoir from erosion, silt, and surface water contamination. They also planted the redwoods, pines, and other trees that surround the upper reservoir.

After the 1971 Sylmar earthquake, the strength of the reservoir system was questioned, and studies were done to protect Los Angeles' water supply from a future, possibly stronger tremor. It was finally decided to take both the upper and lower reservoirs out of service, and to build a single, more modern and stable reservoir facility a quarter mile north of what-was-then the lower reservoir. This new rubber-covered facility became known as the Franklin 2 reservoir, and was operational in 1982."

Franklin Canyon history »

Mark Wilson, IDwithnoE and hi_watt like this.
  8. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Also, FYI, some photos are reversed. The buttons to Mick's jacket should be on his right, and the part in Charlie's hair should be on his left. The Big Hits cover is correct, as is the Paint It Black sleeve. The Could You Walk On The Water? cover above is reversed.

Mark Wilson likes this.
  9. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

10. rubberhead

Ha, that's true.

11. ranasakawa

ranasakawa Forum Resident

2 years ago I had no idea of its price or rarity

12. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

Well, that explains the cross-connection, as it were, but to most ordinary folk, it creates the illusion of validation from multiple sources, doesn't it? Maybe that's OK, and if one is going to drop a few thousand clams on an LP, knowing that sort of thing is probably paramount to being good at that sort of thing. But thanks for the info.

13. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

14. bibijeebies

bibijeebies vinyl hairline spotter

Feedback timeline from audiofun1967 on eBay:
    ======================================================================
    [​IMG] GREAT SELLER - more people need to be this guy, as he does it RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    s***o ( 643[​IMG])
    Past 6 months
    ROLLING STONES US BIG HITS High Tide... ALT ALTERNATE WITHDRAWN COVER MATTE NP-1 (nummer 111873425367) US $2.669,00
    ======================================================================

15. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

[​IMG]

Gavinyl and Sean like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.