Ultraman and Ultra Q coming on blu-ray

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by DetroitDoomsayer, Jul 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DetroitDoomsayer

DetroitDoomsayer Forum Middle Child Thread Starter

October 15th - Just in time for me birthday!

ULTRAMAN: The Complete Series
    Synopsis: ULTRAMAN, a giant alien from the Land of Light in Nebula M78, enters Earth's atmosphere in pursuit of an escaped space monster. In the skies above Japan he accidentally crashes into a Jet VTOL piloted by Hayata, a member of the Science Special Search Party (SSSP), an international research and defense agency that protects the world from monsters and aliens of all shapes and sizes. To save Hayata, Ultraman merges his life force with the dying human and vows to stay and fight for peace on Earth. Now, whenever the Patrol faces a threat too great for them to handle, Hayata transforms into Ultraman to save the day!

ULTRAMAN was Tsuburaya Productions' first color series, a sci-fi action adventure drama that dominated the ratings during its initial 1966-67 broadcast run in Japan. The show was quickly licensed for release in America, airing in syndication for nearly two decades. Colorful, fast-paced, and packed with memorable heroes, creatures and incredible special effects, ULTRAMAN was the foundation for a phenomena that continues to this day.

SPECIAL FEATURES AND TECHNICAL SPECS:
    • NEW RESTORATION of the complete, original Japanese broadcast edits
    • Lossless DTS-HD Master Audio
    • 28-page collectible booklet
    [​IMG]

ULTRA Q: The Complete Series
    Synopsis: After co-creating the iconic movie monsters Godzilla, Rodan and Mothra for Toho Studios, special effects director Eiji Tsuburaya launched his own company, Tsuburaya Productions. The first production under his new label was ULTRA Q, a 28-episode series that brought the theatrical spectacle Tsuburaya had become known for to television. The black & white sci-fi drama focused on Mainichi Shimpo photojournalist Yuriko Edogawa (Hiroko Sakurai, Ultraman), Hoshikawa Airlines pilot/SF writer Jun Manjome (Kenji Sahara) and his co-pilot Ippei Togawa (Yasuhiko Saijo), who partnered to investigate mysterious events occurring in and around Japan. These phenomena often involved aliens and giant monsters, many of whom would return in future Ultraman shows and movies.

One of the most expensive TV programs produced in Japan up to that time, ULTRA Q was a ratings smash that paved the way for Tsuburaya Productions' first color series... ULTRAMAN!

SPECIAL FEATURES AND TECHNICAL SPECS:
    • NEW RESTORATION of the complete, original Japanese broadcast edits
    • Lossless DTS-HD Master Audio
    • 28-page collectible booklet
    [​IMG]

Mill Creek: Ultraman and Ultra Q The Complete Series Heading to Blu-ray

[​IMG]

2. Radiophonic_

Radiophonic_ Electrosonic

After that whole deal with the Thai scam artist finally got settled, I was hoping we’d get decent releases of the Ultra shows, and it’s finally going to happen. It’s about time.

3. DetroitDoomsayer

Tell me more, I know nothing about this.

4. Radiophonic_

Radiophonic_ Electrosonic

Basically, in 1997, Sompote Saengduenchai, a Thai businessman who had founded a company called Chaiyo Films, produced a contract that said his company owned the Ultraman franchise in exchange for a loan they had given to Tsuburaya Productions in the 1970s. The guy who had "signed" the contract had died two years before Chaiyo suddenly produced this contract, and Tsuburaya was forced to fight this guy in court in multiple countries, while he was making money on the Ultraman franchise outside of Japan. Eventually, it was finally recognized that this guy had forged the contract, and a US court ruled last April that the contract was null and void. Hence why we're finally getting these releases.

longdist01 and DetroitDoomsayer like this.
  5. DetroitDoomsayer

I had no idea about Saengduenchai and Chaiyo Films.
    I'm really glad that Tsuburaya has prevailed.

I'm really looking forward to these being released, and I really would like to see some screen caps to see any improvement over the old DVD box.
    I'll purchase Ultraman as that was a favorite of mine during after school reruns here in Detroit in the 70s.

I see that each series is numbered at the top of the box, which I guess means we'll be seeing more Tsuburaya series in the future.

I'd like it if Toei would restore and release Johnny Sokko and his Flying Robot (Jaianto Robo), another childhood favorite.

Moonbeam Skies and longdist01 like this.
  6. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Happy Birthday Hideaki Anno. He turns 60 today and is working for the new movie of Ultraman.

[​IMG]

woody and JakeM like this.
  7. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

How is this not a manga saga of its' own...? :confused:

8. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident

No mention of the English language version?

NickySee likes this.
  9. NickySee

NickySee Forum Resident

I was stuck on the English dub (they rerecorded the theme song for American audiences, too) for years but, really, the Japanese track is superior. The original series as well as the English dub one are up on the Tube now. The Making of the series:

10. Moonbeam Skies

Moonbeam Skies Forum Resident

I remember watching Ultraman on Detroit's WXON Channel 20 in the mid to late 70s as a child. Have loved it ever since.
    It wasn't until 6 or 7 years ago that I saw the 1st series Ultra Q, which I bought on DVD. Very good show.
    Now I am watching DVDs of the 3rd series, Ultraseven. Another great series. Very similar to Ultraman but with more focus on the humans and not as many light, comedic moments. It's like they picked certain aspects of Ultraman (aliens from other planets invading earth, blowing stuff up, cool weapons, science fiction) and made the new show more like that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.