Ultravox "Rage in eden" Super Deluxe, 5 CD & DVD Anniversary Box Set - Release September 2022!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dreambear, Sep 9, 2021.

1. Limopard

Limopard National Dex #143

Amazon streaming has their usual hack work pasting together whatever versions of the track is available. "The Voice" meanwhile is available as the correct album version, "Thin Wall" shows 5:41, plays 4:25, albeit in 96/24, the rest of the album is 16/44.

It's not as bad as their version of Whitesnake's "Slide It In" Box, where you get 8 US and 2 UK tracks twice in a row...

negative1 likes this.
  2. Eleventh Earl of Mar

Eleventh Earl of Mar Somehow got them all this far.

The worst part is, I knew that playlist was pretty terrible

The other thing is, that was from whoever runs the Ultravox account! if they want quick data entry that's correct I'm qualified, like everyone else here

negative1 likes this.
  3. Max Florian

Max Florian Forum Resident

This incomplete remix thing really bugs me. Couldn't they put it on ice and work on some other UVX release instead until the multitracks for all RiE tracks are found?

4. Eleventh Earl of Mar

It was either this or nothing - I don't have liner notes on me - apparently they're rather detailed, but I do know The Thin Wall master is lost, plus a few whispers that basically, Rage in Eden was not very fun to make and promote

fluxkit, negative1 and croquetlawns like this.
  5. Music Geek

Music Geek Confusion will be my epitaph

I haven't read the booklets yet but the 5.1 mix on the DVD has the standard album playlist. Did they do a fake 5.1 mix for the two missing tracks? The stereo playlist is the same as on the DVD (e.g. The Voice is missing) but the 5.1 mix starts with The Voice.

6. J_Surround

J_Surround Forum Resident

Yes, they were upmixed with Penteo software.

7. Fripper

Fripper Increasingly less tolerant of intolerant people...

Pretty much what I thought when I first heard the tape whilst prepping for the box - feels like years ago now. I supect here is some similarity in that both bands were really trying to make synths much more part of the music than the quirk they were often seen as. So they were learning more about arps, extreme filters, playing around with the electronics inside their kit (Warren & Barney both did that a lot at the time). But then their paths diverged.....

Yes, Alchemy can be very responsive to feedback and their relationship with the team working on this via Chrysalis is good.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2022
    negative1 and J_Surround like this.
  8. Fripper

Correct. Different but still good.

Nope - not correct in the slightest. The full album production master was the basis for the 2021 remaster that appears in all versions of this set.

They are good. If your comparison is to the 2008 un-Definitive Edition then you will be pleasantly surprised. We don't do crap remastering on these releases.

Chrysalis & agents have spent almost six years looking. They are not going to suddenly appear now. If they do at some point in the future then, great. Otherwise it's a fool's errand waiting for them to turn up. A lot of discussion went into what we needed to do with this release and some of the conversations were very difficult at times but I think the collection of people working on the release have come up with the best solution possible that doesn't rely on bodging.

The highlight for me of the whole set is the SW WIP version of 'Your Name...'. When I first heard the potential that the multis offered it was a slam dunk that there were some very cool sounds that could be included and the alternate vocals were much more emotive than the album version: at points cracking with what sounds like real emotion & effort

peterzac, fluxkit, Blaahh and 14 others like this.
  9. otoko_oidon

otoko_oidon Forum Resident

He was right. Single versions were in place of the album versions on streaming platforms. It was corrected two days after being available.

albertop and Max Florian like this.
  10. Limopard

Limopard National Dex #143

Tidal has the correct tracklist and fortunately it's no MQA. Sounds great.

11. Eleventh Earl of Mar

I missed Your Name in my sampling a few days ago - it wasn't denoted as special or whatever

This is the most John Foxx sounding Ultravox track that has no connection to that period, and I say that in a good way- feel like it's if Ultravox was as depressed as everyone else in 1981 in the UK

12. Fripper

He didn't mention the streaming versions. He just said that the single edits were used and so I was correcting that.

fluxkit and croquetlawns like this.
  13. otoko_oidon

otoko_oidon Forum Resident

It’s fine. Just to clarify, yes, he said so:

14. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

Cool.
    That's better than them not being there.

I ended up ordering it somewhere else... should be here next week. Amazon still didn't have it.

15. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

Nice info, cheers.

Thanks for making the album complete in the 5.1 mix. I wasn't looking forward to a stunted album. Appreciate it

fluxkit and Markyp like this.
  16. J_Surround

J_Surround Forum Resident

The set is a class act, everything I've listened to thus far sounds great except the 1981 Hammersmith set on CDs 4&5. I understand that only so much can be wrung from a vintage live recording, but it sounds pretty harsh on my system with a lot of sibilance on the lead vocal. The two Crystal Palace 1981 tracks on the DVD and the St Albans 1980 recording on the Vienna sound a lot better to my ears. I haven't looked at any waveforms or DR numbers.

MikeF7 and croquetlawns like this.
  17. akmonday

akmonday Forum Resident

this is my second favorite Ultravox album; still a bit confused about what got a remix and didn't here, but the remixed tracks sound pretty amazing to me. I'd love to hear Wilson do Systems of Romance.

willy, kbmh and croquetlawns like this.
  18. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Mine arrived this week while I was traveling for work - looking forward to diving in this weekend!

croquetlawns likes this.
  19. kaltfeuer

kaltfeuer Well-Known Member

This is a great Deluxe set I waited years for.
    Unfortunately the tracking error between “Accent on youth” and “The Ascent” that seems to have appeared first in the 90s and has been repeated in the 1997 Gold and 2008 Definitive Edition has not been corrected.
    On my early 1980s vinyl the times are 5’57 and 1’10 which is really logical when you listen to the tracks.
    For more than 20 years the wrong times are 4’44 and 2’19…
    And also on the surround mix the markers are placed wrongly.

negative1 and croquetlawns like this.
  20. Bucks

Bucks Forum Resident

I love Wilson’s mix. I did not expect much after not caring about what he did to Vienna, but this is brilliant. Vastly prefer it to the original.

croquetlawns likes this.
  21. Post-Punk Monk

Post-Punk Monk Seeking divinity in records from '78-'85 or so…

Being in America and buying locally, mine arrived Monday and I've just about given discs 2-5 an initial listen. Lots of nice surprises so far that I need to get under my skin.

zwolo and croquetlawns like this.
  22. Eleventh Earl of Mar

This is me at this point. I have some reservations on the Vienna remix but I don't dislike the entire mix, moreso than I expected compared to stuff he did before - this sounds fantastic though and it makes this album which already feels like it's a huge ball of uncertainty and pessimism feel even more obvious - to my ears, it's never been a great album song per song but as a piece, it stands in a different light

Last edited: Dec 10, 2022
    zwolo, Bucks and croquetlawns like this.
  23. richard a

richard a Forum Resident

I agree, the new mix for RIE is terrific. Nothing wildly different but just boosting and emphasising and bringing out the details in what’s already there. I wasn’t that impressed with Wilson’s Vienna, which is odd as I am a huge Steven Wilson fan, via all his own work, all his various bands and a lot of the mixing work he’s done for King Crimson etc. But strangely I felt his mix of Vienna was notably poorer than the original and thus made the album seem weaker.

Not so with Eden. Such a shame they couldn’t do the whole album though. What’s the story here? Are the masters for The Voice and I Remember (Death In The Afternoon) completely missing? And there were really no back ups or production masters that could have been used?

zwolo and croquetlawns like this.
  24. Eleventh Earl of Mar

Taking that last statement back

The first side is basically all killer if you include Rage in Eden/Death as the same song, I think it's the Stranger Within/Accent on Youth/The Ascent/ run that kind of need the context of the album to work. Your Name is a tough one, since it works by itself but it loses a ton of it's impact without musical context

Unless it's the demo. Then it feels a lot more disconnected from the LP verison. There's less focus but the additional synths and unfiltered vocals that go on until a fade that pays off in the extra time

From my understanding The Voice went missing somewhere in the UK around the time Ultravox was promoting the album, and no one found it - a few years were spent attempting to source both of them

willy and croquetlawns like this.
  25. zwolo

zwolo Forum Resident

Just received and really pleased with this one. Steve Wilson helps to bring this record to its heights. I’ll take a quartet please.

willy, croquetlawns and Blair G. like this.