Un-Grateful Thread - What Are You Listening to Instead of the Dead?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tom H, Sep 24, 2014.

1. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Filters out tocsins

US Blues and Archtop like this.
  2. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

Allman Brothers Band - Fillmore East - February 1970 - Deluxe Edition

3. bzfgt

I'm glad you didn't ask me to justify that one

Archtop likes this.
  4. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

5. samthesham

samthesham Forum Resident

Tom Petty - Wildflowers...

A incredibly mature set of music...

Let me be honest , TP caught my ear in 76 with American Girl , took even further on Live ' Leg & sold me on 1979s Damn The Torpedoes & I accepted (not whole heartedly) him as a Wilbury also made the Dylan 86 tour...

But after DTT he lost me , that is until Wildflowers which IMO is his finest music since DTT , in other words #2 in his musical legacy...

Hard to put together a double LP set with no filler but on Wildflowers he pulled it off , quite well I will add...

Just like Dylan's BOB , Stones EOMS & Clash LC it's the sound that hits hardest...

Whether crunching choppy rhythms, beautiful lilting Byrds jangling or crystal clear acoustic every note & rhythm from TP & Campbell are perfectly placed without a RocknRoll move missed , astonishing achievements indeed...

& I'll add I don't believe Mike Campbell has ever played a wrong note in his professional life...

The last time I heard a electric guitar sound like a electric guitar was on Lou Reeds New York LP & before that in 1975 on NYCH - Zuma LP...

obviously there's more to praise than guitars ie., drums , writing , arrangements bursting with hooks ,
    hell the whole record holds up extraordinarily well after 25 years...

I'm listening to the orig 2LP but the 94 CD has great sound as well...

When I get in the mood for TP I always play DTT , Wildflowers & Live 'Leg with 9 min Dogs On The Run

3 stunning Petty accomplishments & all the TP I ever need & yes I have heard them all but these 3 are the ones I keep in my collection always...

Oh and You Wreck Me fn rocks !!

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
  6. samthesham

The Players were a great crossover group in the mid 70s , yep even Deadheads like us dug them back then

7. Helter Skelter

Helter Skelter Forum Resident

8. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

Random Phish on YouTube...this is a nice 20 minute first set Simple from Hampton 10/21/18

A creeping late-night stroll accented by a descending progression and mysterious Trey soloing then smoothly transitions to bliss and ignites at minute 17 for a joyous, trill-filled peak before slamming back into "Simple" to end.”

Crispy Rob, Erik B. and footlooseman like this.
  9. samthesham

I have a soft spot for that Beatles MFSL...

They all (excluding PPM & WTB due to stereo mix) sound good to my ears but WA & RS really shine in that series....AHDN is not to shabby either

10. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

from the day I cued up Everybody's Got Something To Hide For Me And My Monkey I was blown away with that track! Earth Shaking! the entire album kicks ass...wish that box would ha been released on CD...

Crimson Witch and Crispy Rob like this.
  11. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

[​IMG]
    The 2018 remaster sounds fantastic (quibbles about wrong mixes, etc. aside) and I think everyone should have this beauty in their collection.

Happy Valentine's Day

12. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Whitey Morgan and the 78's - Hard times and white lines.

Good new country music from last year

notesofachord and bzfgt like this.
  13. bzfgt

MC5 Kick Out The Jams

14. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

Dire Straits - On Every Street

Crispy Rob likes this.
  15. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

Saw them on this or the following tour

16. bzfgt

Spacemen 3, Dreamweapon. Not the thing for every day, but just the thing for the days it's the thing for.

Crimson Witch and notesofachord like this.
  17. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

18. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

19. budwhite

[​IMG]

Patchwork River features 13 new songs Lauderdale wrote in tandem with Hunter, best known for his work as a lyricist with the Grateful Dead. As one of the few men in Nashville with the courage of his country music convictions these days, Lauderdale moves significantly closer to rock & roll than usual on this album, though this music is still strong, rootsy stuff, with a potent, bluesy undercurrent

20. budwhite

21. Cosmic messenger

Cosmic messenger Active Member

This morning I decided to play Kevin Ayres "The confessions of Dr Dream" sounds great on vinyl

22. budwhite

Robert Hunter on working with Jim Lauderdale:

You’ve collaborated with many of the greatest artists of our time. What is it about Jim Lauderdale that attracts you to working with him?

Trick is to not collaborate with great artists. Collaborate with the human being who’ll be singing the song. What recommends Jim as a collaborator is his deft sense of melody. He can write tunes as fast as I can write the words. This makes it fun, and also exhausting. Couple hours of composing at speed is real work. Then it’s always ‘what about this’ and he’s got one more tune that’s kind of hard to leave hanging. But who’s complaining?

How were you first introduced to Jim?

He sent me a letter in 1999 in what might be the worst scrawl I’ve ever seen. And it seemed right from the heart, as do all communications with Jim. I said to go ahead and send me a tape, I liked it, and sent him a tape back. ‘Jacob’s Ladder’ appeared on his next record. In 2000 I went to Nashville for a couple of months and we wrote several albums worth of material. Ever since, Jim stops by when he comes to California and we put in a couple of days writing.

23. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

The Jim Hendrix Experience
    'Axis: Bold As Love'

Analogue Productions ‎– CAPP 19792
    upc 190758197920
    SACD-Hybrid, Mono,
    (2018)

Finally broke down and bought after stumbling across a new copy in a record store recently. Really glad I did ~ it's now my go-to version of this album.

^ ^ Message From Nine To Experience Hendrix, LLC ^ ^

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
  24. DrLunchbox

DrLunchbox Forum Deadhead #1604

This is the first Lauderdale album I heard. I’ve acquired his entire catalog in the past year or two. Honey Songs is phenomenal too. I think Hittin’ it Hard is my favorite song on the latter.

budwhite likes this.
  25. wlove2372

wlove2372 Forum Resident