Un-Grateful Thread - What Are You Listening to Instead of the Dead?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tom H, Sep 24, 2014.

1. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

The Undisputed Truth
    "Cosmic Truth" ( 1975 )
    [​IMG]

rockinlazys and bzfgt like this.
  2. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Here--I mean, I'm not pushing it on you, but if you happen to be interested:

Popol Vuh Hosianna Mantra now. Their most acclaimed album but one I never really got into, but it sounds amazing today. I think it was a little too angelic for me or something but for some reason I don't mind that right now. In general I go hot and cold with PV, you have to want a certain thing I guess.

rockinlazys and Crimson Witch like this.
  3. bzfgt

There are certain bands I've dipped into but never found a toehold. I mean there are bands you just don't feel are your thing, sometimes people who like some of the same music I do really like something but it's obvious to me it just doesn't do it for me--unfortunately Kurt Vile seems to be one of these, at least so far. Then there are certain bands that I listen to but can't seem to remember what I heard afterward, and can't figure out whether I like it or not--Radiohead is a good example, it's like I have something implanted in my head that doesn't let me hear it. Flaming Lips are another.

Then there is a third category--bands that I listen to but don't understand, like I can't say "I (dis)like this kind of music!" or anything. There's something befuddling, or even mystifying, about it. I feel like DCD have been like that for me.

All three categories contain bands I'll usually give another chance at some point and see if anything clicks. I haven't totally given up on any of the ones mentioned above. Category One is the least promising, for obvious reasons. But I will say that many of my favorite things are things that did not click at first.

budwhite likes this.
  4. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

I'm quite excited for the new Weyes Blood album Titanic Rising. A new single came out yesterday, "Movies":

budwhite likes this.
  5. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

[​IMG]
    Rush's Grace Under Pressure - This is the last Rush album that I truly love. There is a skip in this mastering that gives me a bit of a chuckle, because the static at the beginning of the album is art and not a mastering issue. Love the energy of this album, and the subject matter still rings true.

Freebird and Crispy Rob like this.
  6. bzfgt

Cool--I love Jackie-O Mother F-er but never heard this.

Also, to the general public here, I would think most people, if they are Deadheads, would also love things like this by Jackie-O MotherF-er:

Jackie-O MotherFer | "Michigan Avenue Social Club" | Fig. 5 | c.2000

budwhite likes this.
  7. bzfgt

Faust s/t probably my least favorite of their 70s albums (which are the only ones I've really heard) but still really good. I think they seem a bit Zappa-influenced which isn't really my bag but I like this better than Zappa...

8. bzfgt

Hey @notesofachord --As I often do when I'm listening to a band I was going through reviews on Rate Your Music, and I just ran across a review of the first two Faust albums (packaged as a twofer) by one notesofachord:

https://rateyourmusic.com/release/comp/faust/faust___so_far/

That's not you though, is it? It doesn't seem like your style, but it's from 2007...you could have changed...

Or maybe it is you...bands listed:

The Beatles, The Who, The Kinks, Grateful Dead, Traffic, Miles Davis

It's you, isn't it? Hey I think that Faust Tapes and Faust IV and a lot of 71 Minutes are better than the first two albums...don't give up on them!

rockinlazys and budwhite like this.
  9. bzfgt

Wait it says I'm "friends" with this person on RYM...have we already had this conversation?

10. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

11. bzfgt

Faust The Faust Tapes. I really started to get into this a couple years ago, then something turned my head and lo! it was 2 or 3 years before I got back to it. I definitely dig this and Faust IV the most, but I feel like the other two are better in the context of their having those two albums also, if you know what I mean. And 71 Minutes.

A quick break for this, note the vaguely Hawkwindy noises:

And this below is killer Faust, on the 71 Minutes version the singing sort of reminds me of MES, only bluesier. More I guess the format of declamatory vocals over a repetitive groove, not the voice so much, but the effect on the voice on this version makes it differ less in timbre. I'm glad the title is in French, it means "I have a toothache" which has negative connotations in English:

Faust "J'ai Mal Aux Dents" from 71 minutes (1971-73)

notesofachord likes this.
  12. bzfgt

Maybe it's kind of corny but I love "Jersey Girl".

13. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

[​IMG]
    Tori Amos. Scarlet's Walk.

budwhite likes this.
  14. wlove2372

wlove2372 Forum Resident

it is NOT corny. it's brilliant! I love this whole record but Jersey Girl always brings a big smile.

bzfgt and budwhite like this.
  15. bzfgt

Feelies Crazy Rhythms

Popol Vuh Herz Aus Glas

All the Faust albums from the 1970s in case I forgot to log any of them

16. bzfgt

I listened to Faust Ravvivando on Youtube, I don't know their post-reunion stuff but my first impression of this is positive. Popol Vuh, some repeated from yesterday I think--Nosferatu, In Den Gärten Pharaos, Seligpreisung. There is so much music and not enough time to listen to everything I'd like to today.

17. Freebird

Freebird Was 205 pounds, now 215.

Charlie Parker - Greatest Hits
    Masters - MA 0025983

[​IMG] [​IMG]

18. bzfgt

Kraan s/t

Amon Duul II Tanz der Lemminge

19. bzfgt

Amon Duul (I) Psychedelic Underground

The most underrated album ever? Or the most overrated. Actually, the most accurately rated album ever. It's horrible but it has to be listened to sometimes.

rockinlazys and Crimson Witch like this.
  20. JNTEX

JNTEX Lava Police

[​IMG]

Because it's that kick A--

mcwlod, Crimson Witch, mmthmj and 3 others like this.
  21. bzfgt

Holy cow this is amazing:

22. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

I used to have that one on cassette when I was a kid. I was not aware back then that it was actually Volume 4 under another title.

mcwlod, bzfgt and JNTEX like this.
  23. JNTEX

JNTEX Lava Police

[​IMG]

flipping some 7s

Erik B. and notesofachord like this.
  24. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Sorcerer

Miles Davis

25. JNTEX

JNTEX Lava Police