Un-Grateful Thread - What Are You Listening to Instead of the Dead?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tom H, Sep 24, 2014.

1. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

I bet they actually did rehearse. STOMACH !! Lol

warewolf95 likes this.
  2. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

3. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Wow, those guys are all looking a lot older than the last time I saw them...

4. bzfgt

5. notesofachord

Taking a break from your 1974 GD marathon, I see.

I love that raw Telecaster sound on the above track.

Erik B. and bzfgt like this.
  6. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

Tidal is killing me

I know this great drummer Christian Lillinger’s music a little bit and he’s amazing - there are 15 or 20 albums with him on them on Tidal. I heard an incredible one and I’m overwhelmed.

Back to a crazy duet improv CD on Relative Pitch from 2 people I never heard of.....

adamos and bzfgt like this.
  7. bzfgt

Just a song here and there, so far

Erik B. likes this.
  8. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

Dennis0675 and hyde park like this.
  9. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

10. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Crystal Machine

Tim Blake, aka. Hi T. Moonweed from Planet Gong

adamos, footlooseman and bzfgt like this.
  11. bzfgt

& Hawkwind

footlooseman and US Blues like this.
  12. Jim Walker

Jim Walker Senior Member

My favorite band from Wales, this being one of their great records, and Deke Leonard
    isn't even on the thing. To describe: they can jam, they can prog, lot of guitar, trip loops
    of psychedelea, a choir, harmonic vocals, little Hammond B, lots of wah wah. Just like
    the year... 1973.

~Back Into the Future~

[​IMG]

One of my favorite Santana albums, Caravanserai beats it by a hair, maybe. There is a good
    thread on the Santana fusion period covering 73-74 with Lotus the live one in the mix. They were
    prolific during this time releasing their best material in my opinion. Borboletta has many hot spots,
    and I believe someone was taking some cues from Weather Report's Sweetnighter, and perhaps
    Mysterious Traveler
    also.

[​IMG]

Spawned from the great Butterfly record Metamorphosis, with Rhino's raging river of guitar,
    Johnny Winter And's drummer from Texas, 'storm bringer' Bobby Caldwell, Rod Evans
    from Deep Purple and vocal perfect for Captain Beyond... Rock this World!

[​IMG]

Probably my favorite, maybe not, Stand Up is hard to beat, but Benefit is... Benefit. The Steve Wilson remix.

[​IMG]

Time for a trip, one with Brand X, and some guys from Bloodwyn Pig. This one is something.
    Phil Collins with some of his finest drumming, John Goodsall's unbelievable guitar, and
    Percy Jones, master of some of the finest chops from the deep end. When some of the
    instruments listed are those such as these, strap yourself in your seat, it is going to
    be some sort of ride...

- Jack Lancaster / Lyricon, saxophones (alto, tenor & soprano), flutes (alto, bamboo & glass),
    violin, panpipes, watergong, brass arrangements
    - Robin Lumley / acoustic & electric pianos, harmonium, synth, autoharp, Hammond organ

[​IMG]

13. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

14. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

Debut record by former yardbirds

[​IMG]

rockinlazys likes this.
  15. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

16. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Well, it is my sad duty to inform you that it's time for one of my 2009 home recordings:

adamos, budwhite and footlooseman like this.
  17. notesofachord

Damn Bro, you really should upgrade your copy of that classic. That one doesn't even playback at the correct speed.

I recommend the mono LP reissue.

Dennis0675 and Erik B. like this.
  18. notesofachord

The (English) Beat - Special Beat Service.
    [​IMG]
    1999 CD remaster

19. US Blues

Angel's Egg

Gong: Love From Planet Gong (box set)

20. Dahabenzapple

Very happy to see this is on Tidal:)

I already have the last box with the previous remasters of the Trilogy albums. So happy I’ll get to hear the live stuff on here plus...the only worthwhile post Daevid Allen Gong LP...Shamal which I believe has Mike Howlett, Pierre Moerlen, Didier Malherbe and even Hillage on a couple of tracks. Plus it hasn’t denigrated into useless fusion wonk which happened soon enough with Pierre Moerlen’s Fake Gong

Right now first time in 30+ years hearing Shamal. “Wingfull of Eyes” bringing back good and bad memories but what a tune.

21. US Blues

You have become the maven of streaming!

The previous remasters were BS, made without the permission of the band and not from the master tapes as this new box is. Mike Howlett mixed the multi's for several of the concerts, and Steve Hillage oversaw the project along with Howlett. It's a great package and a proper release of the core Gong recordings.

Enjoy!

22. segue

segue Psychoacoustic Member

[​IMG] [​IMG]

bzfgt likes this.
  23. Dahabenzapple

I skipped up to the first live version (BBC) of “You Can’t Kill Me” and it is more than spectacular. For a 3-4 year period, this was one of the greatest bands in the world. I’d love to buy the physical box but I promised myself I’m only buying very select releases that are not being streamed.

US Blues, footlooseman and bzfgt like this.
  24. Jim Walker

Jim Walker Senior Member

I love these guys, when they burst upon the scene, thru every decade until now. I can't say that
    about a lot of bands from that era, but when the ska mood hits The Beat gets the call. When I
    made a big move in around the early 80's, two of my favorite artists at the time, The Clash
    headlining, The English Beat opening, scheduled a show in the town I just left. It was
    a 'curses' moment in the trials and tribulations of youth. Have you got their box set by
    any chance? It is one of the good ones, if you've not heard it... great live show within it.

NP.,, one of my bestest 'pop classics' from Paul, and overall. Probably some Dead, jazz
    and other good stuff to follow, just spotted Buffalo Springfield in mono--that's on.

While I'm gulping down the newly crushed java bean of morning hope and glory, I'm still
    shaking me ears of all the guitar fuzz and notes hanging, ringing, in the ears and head from
    last night. Those Man jams were relentless, tamping it down a bit. What a great October
    day for maniac music boogie, and college ball... RAM ON!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

25. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Four winners, Jim.