Un-Grateful Thread - What Are You Listening to Instead of the Dead?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tom H, Sep 24, 2014.

1. Jim Walker

Jim Walker Senior Member

Great album, and thanks for this. I was pondering a prog night of sorts, but there was a missing link
    and you just provided it. Visions of the Emerald Beyond is a dropkick away from entering the
    cd transport later this evening; McLaughlin's solo-ing on this is razor sharp and focused, kicking
    into molten shred-downs in all the right spots.

Back before the Philly-Soul Kings started slicking up and funking down, they released this pair together.
    Abandoned Luncheonette is a pop master. War Babies is a prog (sort of--for them) happy
    mess with Todd Rundgren producing--Todd and Utopia also play on the record, a record that at this
    moment sounds like a Utopia album with Hall and Oates cutting some cool vocals; very interesting
    album. I saw them shortly afterwards in '75, a month after Sarah Smile was released, but before it became
    a hit--tightest performance I most likely ever saw; Elton John's touring band was backing them, minus
    Davy Johnstone and one other.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Pearl Jam

George, WA - 7/22 and 7/23/06

I'm listening to the official bootleg versions of these terrific gigs. Anyone know if the official Live at the Gorge release features different sound/mix?

budwhite likes this.
  3. warewolf95

That album scares the crap out of me! I refuse to play it at night or in the dark! :p

Great album though :D

Rne and US Blues like this.
  4. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

5. warewolf95

Totally underrated album!

footlooseman, bzfgt and Dennis0675 like this.
  6. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I was a bit disappointed with the SQ for it being a German first press. Thin and bass shy, like most 80’s metal but yes, good album.

budwhite, footlooseman and warewolf95 like this.
  7. warewolf95

Motorhead don't have a bad album, imo. Sure they have the definite classics, but they were pretty damn consistent for the most part. Even more than say Saxon or someone else.

footlooseman and Dennis0675 like this.
  8. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

I like Another Perfect Day better. "America" is great, though...

warewolf95 likes this.
  9. warewolf95

Pearl Jam

7/23/06 George, WA

Mike McCready absolutely TEARING THAT S#!T UP ON "Crazy Mary"!!!

budwhite and Erik B. like this.
  10. Jim Walker

Jim Walker Senior Member

I've been looking forward to playing this for awhile, Discipline, with Belew getting
    the most out that guitar and efx mechanisms; amazing how he manipulates his guitar
    pyrotechnics around Fripp's rock solid, disciplined and complex music charts.

Just went into Grado headphone mode, probably for the duration.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

More wild guitar from McLaughlin, Di Meola, thunder from Stanley Clarke and Billy Cobham.
    I have to say, Jerry Goodman's electric violin, viola sound pretty great on da phones... wild
    eruptive meltdown on the way from The Mahavishnu. McLaughlin is running some
    Frippertonics, very speedy, going off into power riffing on into guitar shred oblivion.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

Some freak outs circa 1969

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

lot of fire there

footlooseman likes this.
  13. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

CM one of my favorite live PJ covers.

:righton:

warewolf95 likes this.
  14. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Adrian and Robert constituted a marvelous guitar tandem. Mathematical, but also wild. Not easy to achieve.

15. In light of those choices: if you haven't clicked on the Paul Dresher Youtube clip I put up a few days ago, you should check it out below. The composition resembles Indian music in the way that it establishes a foundation and then builds slowly and inexorably. If you don't have the 20+ minutes to listen to the entire thing, skip ahead to about the 17 minute mark. The music is very very elaborate by then.

I never heard of the guy until last week, but I'd bet that Robert Fripp has. Dresher was seriously looping out as far back as 1981, which is the date of the linked recording.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
  16. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

[​IMG]

Circles around the Sun with Joe Russo.
    Nice to hear some new music from Casal and gang. With more to come next year.

17. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Watching The Rolling Stones - Havana Moon 2016 live concert.

[​IMG]

18. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

still very sad

US Blues likes this.
  19. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Yes it is. But the music is forever.
    I have only good memories from seeing Casal live four times with three different bands starting in 2006. RA&Cardinals x2>CRB>CATS

US Blues and notesofachord like this.
  20. Day_Tripper2019

Day_Tripper2019 Forum Resident

21. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Seems heavily influenced by this:

rockinlazys and footlooseman like this.
  22. Jim Walker

Jim Walker Senior Member

My ears are still on fire here, thank goodness I still have good hearing (not sure how, why).
    Maybe it was a prophecy, the prodigal 'ear man' come to this planet to hear forever, even
    in his passing and six feet under he could still hear with that ear...

I saw that tandem in 2003, seems like yesterday; the audio gear at the venue was state of the art at the time.
    It was the very best of both worlds of which I won't forget anytime soon. I got to see what a Warr bass guitar
    looked like... amazing (Trey Gunn).

I will take a look at that, improvisation that make my ears drool. One of the reasons that I love Crimson is
    because of their forever improv skills and legend. Heavy Construction from the tour that I saw includes a
    disc 3 featuring cherry picked improv pieces from different locations. It's why I am a Dead fan too. I am
    reading a Grateful Dead book, called The Art of Improvisation that explores what exactly it is that they do,
    how their music is partially derived from ancient Indian music, gypsy music folklore, so thanks for the
    tip Panama... listening to some Dead now from '72, DiP vol28. Java and cheers to you all...

[​IMG]

bzfgt, footlooseman and Rne like this.
  23. Jim Walker

Jim Walker Senior Member

^^I screwed up on the Dicks Pick vol 28 date and meant to type '73 instead of '72.
    What's worse is I did this on the Grateful Dead thread! Too late to edit my sin,
    I fainted temporarily, re-entered the thread portal to admit my mistake. I am
    awaiting my sentence and punishment, hoping my screen does not go the way
    of that 'Fortnite thingy', that messed with the young minds of our country in
    a mass of dark churning darkness... I'm doomed, no way around it now.

NP... the Raw version:

[​IMG]

24. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

The 2000 Crimson "double duo" line-up was heavily interested in improvisation. The Heaven & Earth set released this year includes footage of most of the improvisations picked for Heavy ConstruKction. One of the best features in this massive box, hands down.

footlooseman and Jim Walker like this.
  25. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Dick's Picks 28, the one that I missed and that I haven't been able to get. Great volume.

Jim Walker and bzfgt like this.