Un-Grateful Thread - What Are You Listening to Instead of the Dead?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tom H, Sep 24, 2014.

1. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

My kids dig it... I had never heard it as a kid, even though it was around back then. Love Think About Your Troubles.

sami, Rne and Crimson Witch like this.
  2. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Listening to Bobby Charles self/titled album, featuring Rick Danko and possibly some other band members, via the excellent 3-CD comp of this plus bonus material that came out a few years back. I love this album and would recommend it to any fans of The Band or rootsy good American type stuff in general. It's a long way from his original Louisiana classic, "See You Later, Alligator." My favorite lines, which always crack me up, from his song about the joys of slacking off and hanging out with the "Street People": "Some people would rather work, we need people like that."

He's Got All the Whiskey was later covered nicely by John Martyn, and Grow to Old by Joe Strummer on his posthumous last album, re-titled as "Silver and Gold." I Must Be in a Good Place now is as peaceful and happy and soul-refreshing song as any that exist. As is Blue Skies by Willie Nelson, from Stardust, which I played immediately before moving on to Bobby Charles.

[Edit: confirmed that Richard Manuel, Garth Hudson, and Levon Helm all play on this album, as does Dr. John. And of course, Band fans will also be familiar with Bobby Charles from his appearance at the Last Waltz.]

rockinlazys, sami, adamos and 4 others like this.
  3. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

Mahogany Rush
    "Maxoom" (1973)

the Frank Marino-approved 2006 CD remaster,
    issued on Just A Minute Records ‎
    ( Canada ) MIN 011-2

UPC 068944801121

(this is an actual LP cover)
    [​IMG]

sami, footlooseman and budwhite like this.
  4. DrLunchbox

DrLunchbox Forum Deadhead #1604

Seconded. I first heard about this record when reading a book about Woodstock, NY. I gave it a spin and fell in love with it. A great record.

Crimson Witch, sami and Crispy Rob like this.
  5. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

The ample bonus tracks on this Rhino Handmade version overall aren't quite as strong as the original album, but are still quite good (and a few are incredibly good), and I think it is mastered well:

[​IMG]

sami, budwhite, footlooseman and 2 others like this.
  6. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

In about 90 minutes Mary Halvorson with John Hebert & Ches Smith

Fired up

US Blues, sami, budwhite and 4 others like this.
  7. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

Also listened to the all-time great recording from 1994 called “Ghostly Thoughts” on hatology from Paul Dunmall on saxophones (mostly of not all tenor & baritone) with John Adams on guitar & Mark Sanders on drums. Maybe as great of tenor playing from the big man as he’s ever put on record.

Desert Island stuff

8. Jim Walker

Jim Walker Senior Member

You @notesofachord, are on fire as I counted 5-five star records including this one.
    Last year when I saw the Sweetheart of the Rodeo Tour with Chris Hillman and McGuinn,
    the backing band, Marty Stuart and his Fab Superlatives (so good), Marty played
    Clarence White's guitar, the Telecaster with B bender. It was an astonishing thing to
    hear it played well. Poco is such a good band, and when I am doing grandad's americana,
    I think I've heard it all, until I play Poco 69--72, and all that came before it sort of falls
    by the wayside.,, they were that damn good... sterling band.

So reading another book on The Band, and there is heavy discussion on how they charted the music,
    wrote the songs and decided on their unique staggered harmony or vocal phrasings. RR decided
    that the sort of music they were writing, and lyrically, would have more meaning if they did not
    go with standard pop harmony, but delay the harmonies, chorus. It was a sweet signature. I'm
    listening to Music From Big Pink now. Two songs that have always floored me in emotion
    were both sung by Danko: Unfaithful Servant and It Makes No Difference, and then
    there's Arcadian Driftwood, a send-off to different, olden times.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
    rockinlazys, mcwlod, sami and 11 others like this.
  9. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Squirrel Nut Zippers
    Christmas Caravan
    [​IMG]

Excellent stuff. One of my best finds of 2019.

US Blues, sami and Dennis0675 like this.
  10. garymc

garymc Forum Resident

I couldn't agree more. I saw the Sweetheart of the Rodeo tour show (Town Hall in NYC) and it was amazing. Marty Stuart and band was amazing. I saw this show a couple of days before seeing the Bruce Springsteen on Broadway show. It was amazingly good as well, but if I could only have seen one of these shows, I'd pick the Sweethearts of the Rodeo show easily.

11. garymc

garymc Forum Resident

This has been part of my xmas playlists for many years. Great album!

Crimson Witch and notesofachord like this.
  12. DrLunchbox

Re: The Band. Maybe it’s just me, but Levon’s solo work outside The Band sounds more like The Band than say, Robbie’s. That says to me that the songwriting in that group wasn’t just one man. YMMV. #TeamLevon

I was in Quebec studying French in the summer of 04 before going to grad school. We had a day trip to Quebec City and there was a lookout point to see the fields of Abraham. By the time we had a chance to get up there a storm rolled in and lightning concerns closed the access. The sole reason I wanted to see it was to have a visual for Acadian Driftwood, one of my favorite songs by The Band.

sami and Crispy Rob like this.
  13. DrLunchbox

They’re from the area where I currently reside. I was just hanging out with their old tour manager the other night. Local legends here.

budwhite and notesofachord like this.
  14. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

15. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I wish I’d seen that tour. I loved Marty’s Way Out West album from a couple years back.

16. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Thanks to a last minute invitation from a friend, I caught a great show that hadn’t even been on my radar, the Pixies with Kristin Hersh opening at August Hall, a fantastic new venue (first time there) in SF. I was slightly wary about seeing the lineup without Kim Deal for the first time, but they were great and played for over two hours. I don’t know Hersh or her work with Throwing Muses very well, but her set was really good as well.

rockinlazys, adamos, sami and 2 others like this.
  17. Jim Walker

Jim Walker Senior Member

I have the RCO Allstars record, and also Rick Danko's solo record, some of it being mixed down in
    the Last Waltz. Both are great and similar in style while RR's solo work, especially later are
    a completely different thing. One day I'll get Levon's American Son title. One day I'll go to Quebec.

18. sami

sami Mono still rules

That's so good. Need to pull that one out soom.

19. sami

sami Mono still rules

20. sami

sami Mono still rules

21. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Dawn of the New Rider's of the Purple Sage

God Bless Marmaduke.

22. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Neil Young Silver & Gold. I love this album and it’s simple feel. I used to play it quite a bit when it first came out and whenever I revisit it I’m reminded of that time in my life.

23. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

One of his best for me

sami and adamos like this.
  24. garymc

garymc Forum Resident

Yes, the "Way Out West" album is really something special. I don't even know how to describe it. Psychedelic Country?

rockinlazys, Crispy Rob and budwhite like this.
  25. garymc

garymc Forum Resident

cool! I play this album of theirs quite a bit. Would love to see them live sometime.
    [​IMG]

notesofachord and adamos like this.