Un-Grateful Thread - What Are You Listening to Instead of the Dead?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tom H, Sep 24, 2014.

1. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Time for some Scandinavian music. Norwegian and swedish collaboration.

Keys, bass and drums

[​IMG]

2. budwhite

Bugge on the grand piano instead of the Fender Rhodes

3. budwhite

Same band as before. I want to catch a show. I like the bass player a lot! Love the sound of this trio.

72min proshot from a germany festival

Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
  4. samthesham

samthesham Forum Resident

Hello everybody & a toast to safe weekend for all...

Today I am going with the digital format (for now anyway)

1.VU / Peel Slowly And See (1996)...remains such a essential Velvets purchase, I listened to disc 2 & ommited the bonus stuff because I only desired the continuity of the original records running order

2.Marianne Faithful / Broken English (1979)...for the most part I avoid remastered anything but this 2013 version sounds quit good on my system...

What a surprise this record was to all listeners, the 60s chanteuse was all but written off & boom out of nowhere a bonafide masterpiece from the post-punk era manifests itself for us to dissect & enjoy - A+

3.Traffic / Smiling Phases (1991)...disc 2 of this set contains 10 tracks from 1970-1974 & all but a couple are essential listening & the SQ on this 2 CD is the best digital Traffic ever

4.This Is The Moody Blues (1989)...A flat transfer of the bands 1974 double record package remixed by Tony Clarke exclusive to the set & again the unfutzed with sound is wonderfully analog

5.Moody Blues / To Our Children's Children's Children (1969)...Their tribute to 1969s US space journey & my favorite MB record, today its the original unfutzed with cd on Deram

6.ABB / AFE (1971/1986)...The Dennis Drake W. Germany Polydor set & the Pink Capricorn label are the only way to fully enjoy this transcendent music...

Give me the original edited running order over all the rest & I am in hog heaven (whatever in the hell that means)

5. sami

sami Mono still rules

My favorite digital version has always been the 1992 MoFi Gold UltraDisc set.

Dennis0675 and samthesham like this.
  6. samthesham

Everybody has their preferences & that's all good but the Drake is closest to the original record sound...

In all honesty I prefer my NM Pink Capricorn but who doesn't right, the only live record that virtually puts the listener on stage with the band

sami likes this.
  7. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Esbjorn Svensson Trio Leucocyte Wow! this is great

notesofachord, sami and budwhite like this.
  8. budwhite

Nyckelharpa! Old classic instrument from my world.
    That's the fiddle with keys. What a fantastic sound.. yass yass yass(I'm jumping around like Dean Moriarty)

9. budwhite

That's the drums and bass from Rymden, but ten years before.

bzfgt, sami and Dennis0675 like this.
  10. budwhite

Visions of Johanna Sheffield May 16, 1966.
    One of a kind and very stoned

[​IMG]

11. Beatnik_Daddyo'73

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 Music Addiction Personified

....ahhh, so this is where the familiar and friendly hang...:cool::thumbsup: nice to see everyone :tiphat:

...I’m not quite sure where I’m at musically. I feel like I’m on a psilocybin journey in wonderland. Tim has to be the caterpillar with those loooong syllables. :D This is where I’ll be for awhile... a loooong while.

Tim Buckley ‎–
    The Complete Album Collection

[​IMG]
    Label:
    Elektra ‎– 081227933852, Rhino Records (2) ‎– 081227933852
    Format:
    Box Set, Compilation
    8 × CD, Album, Reissue, Remastered
    UK & Europe
    Released:
    Oct 2017
    Genre:
    Jazz, Rock, Folk, World, & Country

Tim Buckley ‎–
    Live At The Troubadour 1969

[​IMG]
    Genre:
    Jazz, Rock
    Style:
    Blues Rock, Acoustic, Folk Rock
    Year:
    Notes:
    Recorded at The Troubadour, L.A., USA, September 3rd & 4th 1969

Tim Buckley ‎–
    Honeyman (Recorded Live 1973)

[​IMG]
    Genre:
    Rock
    Style:
    Blues Rock, Folk Rock
    Year:

12. Beatnik_Daddyo'73

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 Music Addiction Personified

...:yikes: :faint: Rob, my friend, nothing comes more HIGHLY recommended than Coltrane Ole’. :righton:

Crispy Rob, Erik B. and bzfgt like this.
  13. DrLunchbox

DrLunchbox Forum Deadhead #1604

I was listening to a podcast with Sturgill and he name checks Rory as an influence. Sturgill just got way cooler.

Crispy Rob, budwhite and bzfgt like this.
  14. DrLunchbox

DrLunchbox Forum Deadhead #1604

Headed to Railroad Earth tonight. Hayes Carll tomorrow evening. Solid weekend ahead.

US Blues and Erik B. like this.
  15. sami

sami Mono still rules

The MoFi gooses the low end a bit, as is their wont, but Berry's bass intro to Whipping Post never thundered like it does on there.

16. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

[​IMG]
    Days Have Gone By, 1967.
    The sixth album in John's discography. One of my favorite records by any artist. If you haven't listened to it yet, do yourself a favor and give it a try.

17. Jim Walker

Jim Walker Senior Member

It is great to listen to this incredible title, but especially when I rarely play it. Those days are over of
    popping it on any old time I liked. I have too much music to listen to. But right at this moment, music
    never sounded as great. It is cranked, I don't care and the rye vodka martini while not as exceptional
    as the music, is fairly appetizing... and right!

Everything was right about Who's Next, that is, what we ended up getting in 1971 on 'release day'.
    The building and concept of the material was a little more complicated, but I'm grateful Who's Next
    turned out the way it did, just as I'm happy about how Quadraphenia turned out for all of us music fans.
    Everyhing is well placed, not one wrong note, and at this moment the glue to the brilliance of the record was
    John Entwistle: his wall of sound horn parts, songs, and his bass playing, vocal contribution was perfection.

For the longest time in the days of my mispent youth, running a mile, quaffing a beer, occasionally at the same time, Who's Next and Abbey Road were my two top albums.
    Times change but the records don't.I' going for broke this evening, random all the way. @Dennis0675 made sure of that when he listed CCR title.
    I'm liking that Fisher amp too...

If I swallow anything evil
    Put your finger down me throat...

For all that is wholly, let the games begin:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Sticky Fingers... almost got me finger stuck in the zipper, 4 cuts: the first four, Sway, one of
    my favorites you never hear about, the rest are history, the greatest 4 cuts to ever open an
    album, oh yeah, right now? for certain!!! Can You Hear Me Knocking... Mick T's getting
    ready to hit his 'guitar break' to infinity...

'Yeah, you got satin shoes, you got cocaine eyes'

Loving Cup from Exile puts me in space. Lord hayu murcaa... on us all.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

The Smoker You Drink the Player... yep that says it all. The Audio Fidelity, Gold Disc HDCD,
    which sounds brilliant...

[​IMG]

18. samthesham

You or Bobby? Perhaps both lol

Crispy Rob, US Blues and budwhite like this.
  19. samthesham

:righton: Rocky Mountain Way has become such a obvious cliche but Meadows & so much more suggest such a fine listening experience indeed & ditto on Lovin Cup, my preference off EOMS, those closing horns still drive me to the ground every time I spin my NM Broadway originals

20. sami

sami Mono still rules

The record is what it is, but I can't remember the last time I spun it in any manner. It's one of those titles (hello Led Zep IV) that is so ingrained in my brain that it wouldn't even occur to me to want to actually play it.

Having said that, Sticky Fingers and Exile are equally ingrained, yet they continue to beckon .......

Crispy Rob and Jim Walker like this.
  21. Jim Walker

Jim Walker Senior Member

Great stuff, love the Marianne Faithful pick, I'm a huge fan of hers.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Mojo rising... time for a deuce per album, or trippsies: The Changeling and the title song;
    Since I've Been Loving You and That's the Way; Stratus from Spectrum counts for a deuce;
    From Brian Auger's Oblivion Express... the party album of the time:Whenever You're Ready,
    Happiness Is Just Around the Corner, You're Gonna Get It;
    Bob Welch and Paris
    kick up a funky dust storm: Blue Robin, BigTowne 2061, Pale Horse;

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. Jim Walker

Jim Walker Senior Member

I get what you're saying, but if it has been awhile you might be surprised on the Who's Next. As they say,
    'you loved it once'. I play it intermittently enough to love it all over again, it is quite the record.

23. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

24. Bill Cormier

Bill Cormier Forum Resident

25. samthesham

And to you also, very impressed with Auger & Cobham indeed

Crimson Witch and footlooseman like this.