Un-Grateful Thread - What Are You Listening to Instead of the Dead?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tom H, Sep 24, 2014.

1. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

The Heliocentrics - Infinity of Now
    Wow, this one is good. Some vocals I wasn’t prepared for early on, then settled into some interesting and funky instrumentals. A great headphone listen.

[​IMG]

2. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

3. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

this tour garnered a lot of votes for an archive release recently. Some said it was a malfunction of a sort possibly non state actors. Votes are for mortals. its revealing from the beyond by the the curtain master means release is imminent in a measurement of time that no sentient being can measure

Erik B. likes this.
  4. jay.dee

jay.dee Forum Resident

A great lineup and live recording indeed. However I have to admit that my favourite Mingus band is definitely the one that hit the road in the US and Europe in 1964, which featured Johnny Coles (trumpet), Clifford Jordan (tenor), Eric Dolphy (alto, bass clarinet & flute), Jaki Byard (piano) and Dannie Richmond (drums).

No wonder their live adventures got so extensively documented:

Charles Mingus Catalog

5. jay.dee

jay.dee Forum Resident

The Story Behind The Artist: Keith Tippett, 1969-1971

6. sami

sami Mono still rules

All of the Mingus/Dolphy/Ervin/Richmond bands were phenomenal, and the one with Coles and Byard was probably the strongest lineup. There is something about the piano-less setup at Antibes that I always loved (aside from Bud Powell's appearance in "I'll Remember April", of course), and they were on fire that night.

The Ervin/Roland Kirk bands were no slouch, either.

7. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Thompson Twins-Sister of Mercy, 1984 (UK ARUN Cut)
    [​IMG]

8. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

I would have killed for a Dolphy/Kirk line-up!

9. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Still listening to Mingus Ah Um. This is amazing. One thing that strikes me is there's a lot of unison playing, but the first half or more of "Self Portrait in Three Colors" is the most remarkable, at one point I'd convinced myself it was one sax recorded in stereo...then they finally separate, and I thought it was an alto and a tenor, but if Wikipedia's credits are correct it must be two tenors....

10. sami

sami Mono still rules

I'm not sure that much weirdness could be harnessed, but would have been a blast to hear them try.

Archtop, Rne and bzfgt like this.
  11. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

[​IMG]
    This is a beatiful acoustic guitar solo album (three tracks are actually banjo solo pieces). Glenn Jones uses various tunings and partial capos. Of course, since he's a hardcore Fahey fan, sometimes he sounds a lot like his idol. (I don't mean to compare the mediocre guitarist I am to Jones, who's a terrific musician, but the only guitar solo piece I've written sounds so influenced by Fahey that I changed its original title for "Faheysim").

12. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Some of the less Fahey stuff with Cul de Sac is pretty good too

sami and Rne like this.
  13. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Oh, yes, I love Cul de Sac, in fact, I was planning to play something by them next.

bzfgt likes this.
  14. Beatnik_Daddyo'73

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 Music Addiction Personified

...always down for some new Heliocentrics! Thanks for posting Johnny as I had no idea it was out. Released on my birthday even... yess! :righton:

johnnypaddock likes this.
  15. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

[​IMG]
    Extraordinary album by Cul de Sac. Released in 2003.

16. samthesham

samthesham Forum Resident

Starting out with these 4 records...

1.True West / Hollywood Holiday (1984)...NM PVC pressing, got turned on to these cats & the Paisley Underground movement in the early 1980s by a younger musician friend of mine

This debut long player is full of great West Coast psychedelia with Steps To The Door, Its About Time & a scorching version of Syd Barretts Lucifer Sam...

A very good record of the 1960s revision era from the 1980s underground

2.True West / Drifters (1984)...NM PVC pressing, its easy to hear why Tom Verlaine championed this band, with the twin guitars of Russ Tolman & Richard McGrath & vocalist Gavin Blair on this the bands sophomore effort TW sounds about as close to Television as you can get...

Truly they have more in common the 2nd time around with Television circa 1977 than any 60s psychedelia revision band...

Fans of Television & Verlaine are urged to head here toot sweet

3.The Raybeats / Guitar Beat (1981)...NM PVC pressing, GB was a searing guitar based instrumental record via Ventures / Walk Don't Run featuring Jody Harris, Danny Amis, Pat Irwin & Don Christensen...

GB is much more than revision it was a bold move to update the instrumental into the then modern age & it worked brilliantly...

Folks who have never experienced this record are missing out on a bonafide early 80s masterpiece...

Not a dud in the bunch - A+

4.Rob Stoner / Patriotic Duty (1980)...NM orig MCA pressing, bass player for Dylan's RTR lays down the funky rockabilly with a taste of 1980 for good measure...

Produced by Stoner & this is one fine sounding record!

Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
  17. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Hear that lonesome whippoorwill,
    He sounds too blue to fly.
    That midnight train is whining low,
    I'm so lonesome I could cry

Ol' Hank was one of the best songwriters there ever was. A beautiful drunken poet

18. dgwint

dgwint Forum Resident

I saw Rahsaan Roland Kirk in the fall of 77 about a month before he died. He was thin and sick but was still an amazing force of nature. One of the best performances I ever saw.

talkingleaf, Erik B., Oliver and 10 others like this.
  19. LucaB

LucaB Forum Resident

In memory of Dave Roback: Opal - Happy Nightmare Baby -> Opal - Fell From the Sun 12” -> Rain Parade - Emergency Third Rail Power Trip -> Mazzy Star - She Hangs Brightly

20. sami

sami Mono still rules

Neil still does grunge better than any of the grunge bands ever did.

[​IMG]

21. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

22. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

The Rolling Stones
    Their Satanic Majesties Request
    [​IMG]

Neil Young Crazy Horse
    Live Rust[​IMG]

Neil Young Crazy Horse
    Rust Never Sleeps
    [​IMG]

23. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Hit the Dylan JACKPOT yesterday!!!

For $65 at my local record store yesterday I got:

Black triangle 80s(?) Cds of:

Saved (second cover)
    Empire Burlesque
    Down in the Groove
    The Times They are a Changin
    Self Portrait

The recent ish general remaster of Bob Dylan and John Wesley Harding

Original/regular copies of Time Out of Mind, Love and Theft, Bootleg Series 1-3

Everything used like new.

Yea I didnt score no Beatles Butcher Cover but for $65 I feel like a thief :p

24. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Beach Boys, Pet Sounds (mono) at the moment. Previously, Animal Collective Sung Tongs - I bought that one when it was their latest based on reading good reviews, and revisit occasionally. It has some moments but has still not really fully connected with me.

25. Jim Walker

Jim Walker Senior Member

Wolf City is among my favorites of the band, and you are right, it is the most straightforward, and accessible for
    the earlier part of their catalog. But it is a solid work through and through. I'm not sure how I feel about
    the 'krautrock' term, though I've heard it for 30 or more years. I've always looked at ADII as a band taking it
    to the next level in psychedelia, deep, very out there... it takes off. King Crimson takes me there,
    Cotrane and Miles, among others, get me to that other place too. It's all good. I just came into some
    Amon Duul II on Repertoire Records and a few others, so I'm going to give them a more serious
    run than I have in awhile. I'm looking forward to Live in London, Almost Alive and Made in Germany.

You probably know more than you think, but I know what you mean. Some threads in the SHF universe can
    get quite complex and challenging to navigate. But you live and learn. 'Jazz and Conversation' has catapulted
    my knowledge of jazz in the short time I've been a member. Some of those guys make me feel like a grade-schooler lol,
    but interesting, and knowledgeable as hell they are, good folks too.

I just heard the news and posted in another thread on Mazzy Star, and Roback's passing...sad indeed.
    This handful is going out to the spirit of the Paisley Underground. RIP Dave Roback, your music
    has been immense and vast over many years... thanks for that.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]