Un-Grateful Thread - What Are You Listening to Instead of the Dead?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tom H, Sep 24, 2014.

1. frightwigwam

frightwigwam Talented Amateur

Thanks. I see that he also recorded it on Live and On Tour, but apparently, besides the TV appearances, that's it.

2. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

[​IMG]
    The Bells. Lou Reed, 1979.

The last record from Lou's binaural period. Mellower than Street Hassle. The winds have much more preponderance, giving most of the songs a jazzy edge, but generally speaking the album is very eclectic. Lou delivers some of his most expressive vocal performances ever.
    The title track is a real gem (and this applies to many of Reed's title tracks). A very experimental atmospheric track with some touches of free jazz (the trumpet is played by no other than Don Cherry). If you ask me, it's one of the best albums by Lou Reed, but some people might not agree.
    Sonically, is muddy as hell, and it might sound like a mess at times, but I like it just the way it is.

3. Jim Walker

Jim Walker Senior Member

Dylan
    was quite taken with the song, Lake Marie. I can say it gets a great treatment on Live On Tour,
    a really great representation of JP with band and without, fiery performances, great recording. I
    just finished up the complete record, and like the three studio cuts at the end too.

[​IMG]

budwhite, footlooseman, sami and 3 others like this.
  4. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

When you go back in for another dive, We Travel the Spaceways/Bad and Beautiful has some good Big Band stuff and Thunder of the Gods is almost all Free Jazz.

jay.dee, Oliver and rockinlazys like this.
  5. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

Thanks! I'll be dipping in more this week and will check those out.

6. sami

sami Mono still rules

I was late to the Prine party, really only listening to him for the last few years (thanks to @Dennis0675), but somehow it feels like I've been listening my whole life. Artists' deaths have never really affected me because to me it's about the music and the music will be here forever. Prine's a bit different because you kind of felt like you knew him the songs are so personal. This record has a permanent spot on that proverbial desert island.

[​IMG]

adamos, cedarbrew, Jim Walker and 9 others like this.
  7. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Doesn't usually bother me either. This time with the COVID something about it hit me relatively hard for some reason.

8. sami

sami Mono still rules

9. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Digging the groovy Astro-Sounds from Beyond the Year 2000.

"Barrier X 69"

[​IMG]

adamos, bzfgt, segue and 3 others like this.
  10. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

Continuing the comfort music- first pure blues tape I ever bought in the mid 80s. Up until that time I was more into blues rock but once I heard the originals I was hooked..
    [​IMG]

adamos, cedarbrew, bzfgt and 3 others like this.
  11. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

Gonna crash to some Dylan...
    [​IMG]

Erik B., adamos, Dennis0675 and 8 others like this.
  12. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

[​IMG]
    Growing Up In Public. Lou Reed, 1980.

Lou Reed begins the 80's leaving the binaural recordings behind and returning to a more regular sound. Lyrically, he deals openly with some of his very personal own demons, but there is also room for hope and humor.
    "How Do You Speak To An Angel?", "So Alone", "Love Is Here To Stay", "Think It Over" and the title track are, in my humble opinion, the best tracks in a quite good album.

13. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

The Shaman's Heart

Byron Metcalf

14. cacaaaaaaw

cacaaaaaaw Forum Resident

Canned Heat Future Blues
    [​IMG]

15. DrLunchbox

DrLunchbox Forum Deadhead #1604

This is very similar to my experience.

Dennis0675, bzfgt and sami like this.
  16. cacaaaaaaw

Prine's S/T is the only album of his I play/have heard in it's entirety, Illegal Smile gets me every time. Saving the rest of catalog for a rainy day.

bzfgt and budwhite like this.
  17. wlove2372

wlove2372 Forum Resident

Both Van Halen brothers could really freakin play

frightwigwam and segue like this.
  18. cacaaaaaaw

Allen Toussaint Everything I Do Gonh Be Funky
    The Hit Songs and Productions 1957-1978
    [​IMG]

19. Jim Walker

Jim Walker Senior Member

JP's passing got me into a honky tonk morning, but there's no whiskey in the coffee.
    It's not the greatest material, but I still like Sleepless Nights, and consider myself
    fortunate to have it, considering other material that was recorded by GP and the boys
    that we may never hear. The sound is a little thin, but that can be tweaked. Speaking of
    audio quality, Souvenirs is a nice sound upgrade over some of the original recordings.
    The upgrade doesn't compromise the heart of song, imho. But it is a collection of songs,
    I prefer the original records. Sometimes sacrifices have to be made, but it's all good.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. sami

sami Mono still rules

Love Sleepless Nights and that is to me an underrated Hag, but the man really never made a bad record.

21. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

Haven't listened to this one in ages. First box set I ever bought when it came out. Basically learned how to play guitar playing along with the songs from disc 1...
    [​IMG]

22. wlove2372

wlove2372 Forum Resident

Chris Knight and John Prine. Great song.

23. bzfgt

What's a binaural recording?

rockinlazys and sami like this.
  24. bzfgt

Every one of his albums has at least two classic songs on it, except maybe Pink Cadillac. Many of them are wall to wall great.

talkingleaf, cacaaaaaaw and sami like this.
  25. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

sami, budwhite and bzfgt like this.