Un-Grateful Thread - What Are You Listening to Instead of the Dead?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tom H, Sep 24, 2014.

1. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

I prefer Manuel's regular singing. But I love a good falsetto song from time to time. Brian and Carl Wilson are some of my favorites

This version from RAH 1970 is amazing.
    This scraffy looking wild mountain man sang like an angel.
    It can't be easy to sing great in falsetto. Add all the booze, drugs and cigarettes and it's even more amazing that he pulled this off at this level.

[​IMG]

mgb70, adamos, Erik B. and 2 others like this.
  2. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

I did see the Clarence era byrds. it was in central park in nyc in july of 1970 sharing the bill with van Morrison. what a great show that was.

3. davmar77

I was fortunate to see the original lineup of the band on several occasions. they were so good in their simplicity but I guess that's one reason for much of their appeal especially among other musicians.

4. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

I saw what was left of The Band on April 27, 1990 at SUNY Potsdam--Rick, Levon and Garth. It was a good show. About seven or eight years later I saw them again and they had added a second drummer, and Rick did not look good at all, and he was gone not very long after.

footlooseman and budwhite like this.
  5. davmar77

I saw them many times later on including various solo shows and a few at levon's barn. rick was one of the nicest guys I have met in the biz.

6. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

I almost made the trip to a barn show when I lived in Western NY, but my friend and I bailed for some reason. I read a lot about those in various publications at the time. He had a lot of great guests.

US Blues and budwhite like this.
  7. budwhite

Happy belated(yesterday) 65th birthday to a fantastic drummer - Mr Stan Lynch of the Heartbreakers.

Stan is singing lead!

8. budwhite

New song from Dion. What a great vocal track. A little bit Gregg Allman-esque. He is 80 years of age. Great guitar as always from the wizard called Jeff Beck

Dion's first hit song(with the Belmonts) was from 1957 I think. Respect!

Last edited: May 22, 2020
  9. budwhite

I can dig some Grace Potter from time to time. New song. Featuring Marcus King on vocals and guitar

Jerfan13 likes this.
  10. budwhite

Cool!
    D
    And definitely. Musicians love to talk about The Band. And rightly so!

11. budwhite

Yes. That barn became quite legendary in the 2000s. Levon's midnight ramble...
    Lots of musicans went there to play live and hang out with a living legend - Levon Helm.
    Levon seemed to be a having a great time. I think he was short on money and felt somewhat forgotten and bitter about Robertson etc before that happen. Good for him.

Small place, not to many people. Not much of hazzle if you just wanna play and enjoy the country life. I can see why people went there to jam and sing.

Good to hear. I always thought/think of him as a hopeless drunk(without really knowing much). Warms my heart that he was a nice guy despite all of his problems.

Last edited: May 22, 2020
    Jim Walker and wavethatflag like this.
  12. davmar77

he always made the crowd feel as if it was the best one ever.

i posted this on another thread a while back but thought it would be well suited here.

we're on our way to see rick danko at the stephen talkhouse in eastern long island near the hamptons. it's december and a noreaster is blowing quite strong but we get out there ok. a friend of ours will be opening the show and then playing with danko. it's a pretty small venue seating 50 and standing another 50 and it's sold out. i'm set up at the mixing board to record the show for rick. my traveling companion was going to do the introduction for the opener so he gets on stage, does his thing and our friend starts to play. less than two minutes into his first song everything shuts down. no power so no p.a. system and no lights. he turns to my friend who did the intro and says 'what did you do now?'. unbeknownst to us someone had lost control in their car in the rain and hit a light pole knocking out a transformer. fortunately the club had a generator which, after they got working, was enough to power the p.a. and one spotlight. until they got it going though, danko stood on the stage with no electricity and being seen by candle light and flashlights. the show must go on you know. he ended up playing a couple of hours and the crowd loved it. after it was over we made it back to our friend's house where rick would be staying and we all stayed up until dawn singing band songs together. what a night!

wlove2372, mgb70, adamos and 9 others like this.
  13. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Guided by Voices Propeller (my favorite one)

Under the Bushes, Under the Stars

sami likes this.
  14. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Beck really needs to release a box set of b-sides and rarities. This wonderful song is from the Jeff, Who Lives at Home Soundtrack.

"Looking for a Sign"

Very Neil Young-inspired.

adamos, rockinlazys, Erik B. and 2 others like this.
  15. notesofachord

Gettin' purple on a Friday.

16. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

17. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Guided by Voices Vampire on Titus

rockinlazys likes this.
  18. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

In anticipation of this showing up on Wednesday, streamed discs 1 and 2 today.

So far out man !

[​IMG]

B-Mike, adamos, footlooseman and 3 others like this.
  19. notesofachord

Congrats!

Erik B. likes this.
  20. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

Thanks. Jumped on that music today repress or whatever like white on rice.

Only will be missing the 1965-1968 and Miles and Trane metal spines but those are no unobtanium like the OTC used to be.

21. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

22. sami

sami Mono still rules

23. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

24. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

25. notesofachord

Watching The Doors at The Isle of Wight Festival 1970. Robbie’s guitar solo on Light My Fire goes to some weird and twisted places. I dig it.

[​IMG]