Un-Grateful Thread - What Are You Listening to Instead of the Dead?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tom H, Sep 24, 2014.

1. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

I follow freejazzblog.org and I enjoy their commentary and reviews save when they conflate the music as something resistant or political (and the stuff with spoken word or specifically political stuff is of no interest to me - no spirit in any of that as Jerry would have known) but recently some of their reviewers have made comments remarking that not as much have changed within this sphere of music as some might think.

I thoroughly disagree and tend to think those with that viewpoint have become too close to that music to recognize the changes and development. Same view would happen if one was not very familiar with this subset of music. Balance is critical.

but I will say that a newer listener might compare or contrast the music of Dave Rempis or Mats Gustafsson to the later 60’s free jazz or even the 90’s - 00’s downtown revival. Radically different sounds and approach. Listen to Nate Wooley as well. He’s now on the scene 15 years or so and his improvising and musical ideas are still radical. Plus he’s the best trumpeter on the planet.

now listening to Kuzu - Purple Dark Opal

Rempis with Tashi Dorji on guitar and Tyler Damon on drums

55:45 piece called “To The Quick”

recorded live on 10/14/2018 @ Sugar Maple in Milwaukee

I dare you all to listen to this mind ****

2. sami

sami Mono Rules

Couldn't agree more.

johnnypaddock and Dahabenzapple like this.
  3. Dahabenzapple

taking a break at the 34:40 mark as Rempis takes a break from the baritone saxophone after maybe a 15 to 18 improvisation with his band mates on the beast. I think he switches to tenor for the long closing segment. Last 10 - 12 minutes were very very intense. The young guitar-drums tandem drives this music to very extreme yet open places. Wow as is almost always the case with Rempis’ releases on his Aerophonic Records label.

hope he is surviving OK without being able to play live which he normally does traveling world wide to play in rooms with various small groups to play in front of 20 to probably 50 or maybe a hundred people on a good night.

US Blues likes this.
  4. jay.dee

jay.dee Forum Resident

Interesting as I have never come across any political content there. I don't read every article/review though.

5. Jim Walker

Jim Walker Forum Resident

There is a good one if you can find it, a full Fillmore West show a year later, '70, called Go West.
    More Clarence, more Clarence.

[​IMG]

The closest I got was the Sweetheart Tour at the end of 2018, the last show of the tour: McGuinn,
    Hillman,
    and lo', Clarence White's B bender played by none other than Marty Stuart. The Fabulous
    Superlatives
    were pretty fabulous too.

I like that album a lot; there are some 90's records Danko cut with Eric Anderson and Jonas Fjeld
    that are very pleasing, sweet sounding americana, with Rick still in decent voice.

Thanks for a great story @davmar77, about your friends and the Rick Danko show during power outage.

Was playing/now playing... after another small social gathering with humans from earth
    last night, got home late, and this pair was laying around offering up the perfect moment
    and late night study in the nouveau dilettantism of covidity... anyway it was perfect, until
    a (caged animal) friend called to rant the night away 'bout almost everything. lol

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Leon is crazy, Art Garfunkel is the gorgeous morning ice cream pop that I need...

[​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Rne

Rne Sufferin' succotash!

[​IMG]
    Billion Dollar Babies. Alice Cooper, 1973.

This used to be my favorite Alice Cooper album. Now it's just an album I absolutely love :D.

rockinlazys, budwhite and angelo73 like this.
  7. Erik B.

Erik B. Tighter than Mike Gordon’s jeans

8. Erik B.

Erik B. Tighter than Mike Gordon’s jeans

Like for the Byrds

9. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Long may you run Mr Shakey!!!

10. bzfgt

bzfgt Interesting and Copacetic Denizen

Guided by Voices Earthquake Glue

sami likes this.
  11. wavethatflag

wavethatflag The West Coast bzfgt

The Eagles, Hell Freezes Over DVD. Ha, ha, get it? But they could have called it Irving Azoff's Big Ass Money Truck Came to My House, and Maybe We Can Get Joe into Rehab.

I saw Joe Walsh open for the Doobies 'round 'bout 1991, and he looked like hell. He was wearing a red jumpsuit and looked like hell, just scary. Did I say he looked like hell? I couldn't believe how cleaned up he was for the '94 Eagles reunion. Way to go, Joe.

Of course the reunion was a house of lies. They're all talking about how great it is to have everyone back in the fold, blah, blah, blah. And I'm sure that was partly true, but I read years later that the only reason Don Felder was asked back was insurance against Joe if he couldn't get it together.

Last edited: May 23, 2020
    frightwigwam, adamos, sami and 2 others like this.
  12. Kate_C.

Kate_C. Meadow Party 2020

Despise celery, it's like vegetable with rebar. Even Elvis chose nannas (I'm not sure what "even" implies - I'll mull it while mowing, tah).

Edit: it strikes me this reply might be dated.

wavethatflag likes this.
  13. budwhite

One of the first music dvds I bought, early 2000s.
    The sound is fantastic and the performances are pretty great too

wavethatflag likes this.
  14. wavethatflag

My reaction was "OH WOW, they're back together," but I never saw them even one time, didn't really want to, and as I recall they were the first band to charge north of 100 dollars for a ticket. Good DVD though.

15. budwhite

Hotel California is excellent(Don Felder!) and Henley pretty much nails the vocals on The Last Resort.

I didn't know about the band politics until much later. I just enjoyed the music. Still do, don't listen very often though.

rockinlazys and wavethatflag like this.
  16. wavethatflag

I'm waiting for @bzfgt to give me the "zzzzzzzzzzz" for my Hell Freezes Over post.

They brought band politics to the fore in one of their officially sanctioned rockumentaries released in conjunction, I believe, with their Wal-Mart exclusive album, The Long Road Out Of Eden. I have only the greatest hits and Hotel California. And I think they let Don Felder give his side of the story in the documentary, which is a little weird. At least rock bands still believe in equal time.

bzfgt, adamos, sami and 1 other person like this.
  17. Dahabenzapple

I could do that for you

zzzzzzzz

18. wavethatflag

I can probably offend at least 25 percent of the people here with Eagles posts.

bzfgt likes this.
  19. wavethatflag

:biglaugh:

20. sami

sami Mono Rules

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz..........................................

Oh, @Dahabenzapple beat me to it.

bzfgt and wavethatflag like this.
  21. wavethatflag

I have a friend back East who told me years ago that he was invited to a wedding, and Don from the Eagles was going to be there. I said, "Henley?" And he said, "No, the other Don." It was funny because this guy probably couldn't name an Eagle if you asked him to.

22. sami

sami Mono Rules

The only thing I'll say for the Eagles is they're about the only band (maybe except for the Pistols) that made absolutely no bones about the fact that their "reunion tour" was for the money, and only for the money. Wasn't it Frey that said "if they pay, we'll play"?

bzfgt and wavethatflag like this.
  23. wavethatflag

I don't know, but they say nice things to the audience on the DVD.

sami likes this.
  24. sami

sami Mono Rules

And every one was straight from the heart.

25. wavethatflag

Dude, that's a Bryan Adams song.

sami and budwhite like this.