Un-Grateful Thread - What Are You Listening to Instead of the Dead?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tom H, Sep 24, 2014.

1. frightwigwam

frightwigwam Talented Amateur

Except not a lot of the Dead's music in '68-69 was really "sunny hippie California," if at all. If Lou could've gotten over his hang-ups about California and "scenes," the Dead and the Velvets should've had a real good time together, at least on stage.

Speaking of Zappa, though, I was listening to Wazoo last night. Jazz-Rock/Experimental Big Band recorded at Boston Music Hall on the last night of their 1972 tour. Although Waka/Jawaka and The Grand Wazoo did not sell much, Frank apparently had built up enough of a following to book large theaters/halls, anyway. But if people were buying tickets in hopes of hearing familiar jokes and old favorites, they don't seem to mind the all-instrumental program. Actually, a lot of them seem to dig it when Frank warns that the next pieces won't be so easy to tap your feets along to. I wonder if many of them felt disappointed when they went home, or if they were really game for anything.

Were a lot of Deadheads in the '70s also into Frank Zappa? When Zappa played the Miami Jai Alai Fronton in 1974, a few weeks after the Dead had been there, I wonder how many people came to see both.

Crispy Rob, jay.dee, sami and 3 others like this.
  2. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Well, this and that. Some Merle, some Dead, some Waylon and then I got this via yootobe.
    Bill Burr's legendary epic roast on the infamous tough and drunk Philly crowd. They booed him while he walked on stage and he was already pissed that the crowd didn't treat Dom Ierra well (who did a set before him).

He's the best comedian alive and he's getting better all the time. This was in 2006 before he was a household name.

Fyck Rocky and the Liberty Bell :laugh:

3. budwhite

I love the Replacements as a band. They did some great music for sure.
    But I think I love the drunken loser thing even more. I don't think there is any other band who gave their very best just to sabbotage themself. Year after year. It's amazing and laughable and sad at the same time.

They could easily had the same success as REM or even more, but they didn't want it. Thwir stories are legendary and their live shows was always crappy but mostly fun(or sothe stpry goes..)
    . And on a good night they even played pretty good and did their own songs instead of just half assed drunken covers that was not rehearsed.

A good example is the 1986 Hoboken NJ show that @Dahabenzapple mentioned.

sami, bzfgt and frightwigwam like this.
  4. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Un-vincifying with Black Sun Ensemble which to me sounds most I think like post-rock avant la lettre...unless la lettre was in the mail before I thought, I am not an expert on that stuff.....

5. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Lou Reed was a genius. He was also a cold, often rude and unfriendly jerk. The same can pretty much be said about Phil Lesh.

Jerry Garcia and Moe Tucker on the other hand...

Sweethearts.

ARK, sami, frightwigwam and 1 other person like this.
  6. bzfgt

Wow...that's incredible

sami likes this.
  7. bzfgt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKPRZJW4NK8

sami and budwhite like this.
  8. budwhite

The bootleg recording puts you in the place. People are booing and cheering at the same time. Bob Saget was there and told Joe Rogan(on his podcast two weeks ago)that Burr got a standing ovation at the end. But he(Burr) didn't see it because he had already left the stage.

sami and bzfgt like this.
  9. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

The Fantastic Steve Lacy and Trickles...heres the title cut..

10. bzfgt

The only time it sounds like they get really mad is when he suggests they might not win a championship

sami likes this.
  11. budwhite

Man, I love sports. If you wanna fire up a crowd, that's the way to go

bzfgt likes this.
  12. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

It was just a label I used, a stereotype, that's all. Not everything the VU did was about shooting heroin either.

Oliver and bzfgt like this.
  13. notesofachord

A few songs at most. White Light/White Heat is about speed of course, as is The Byrds “Artificial Energy”.

sami likes this.
  14. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

I think they efficiently covered the subject with "Waiting For My Man", "Sister Ray", and, obviously, "Heroin".

I used those "sunny California" and "gloomy NY" images based mostly on the differences between the band's debut albums, both released in the same year.

sami, Oliver and notesofachord like this.
  15. notesofachord

JETHRO
    TULL

THICK AS A BRICK
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

‘Twas mighty kind of them to include a newspaper to peruse whilst listening to the album.

My favorite couplet:

“So where the hell was Biggles when you needed him last Saturday? ...and where have all the sportsmen, who always pulled you through? They’re all resting down in Cornwall, writing up their memoirs for a paperback edition of the Boy Scout manual.”

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
    Crispy Rob, rockinlazys, sami and 7 others like this.
  16. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

That newspaper must have taken as much work as the album itself!

Crispy Rob, ARK, Oliver and 1 other person like this.
  17. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

18. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

That's what Ian Anderson said.

Crispy Rob, ARK, Erik B. and 3 others like this.
  19. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

I'm in the same boat on The Replacements. I've tried a few times and will probably make another effort in the future, but it might never click.

I've always been interested in the concept of acquired taste, whether it's food, drink or music. There is something cool about it, and sometimes these are the things I enjoy most.

jay.dee, sami, Dennis0675 and 3 others like this.
  20. bzfgt

I agree, I can't relate to the (many) people who make snap judgments and claim to be able to tell instantly if they like something. Most of my favorite stuff is stuff that didn't click at once. And you need to do that to expand your palette, even though there's value in having certain tastes to begin with.

There is stuff I can hear and be pretty sure I'll never like, of course. The really interesting stuff is stuff I know I should, or even will, like but don't like right away...and then there's stuff I never thought I'd have use for that eventually works its way in...

Crispy Rob, sami, Oliver and 3 others like this.
  21. bzfgt

TWIAS

22. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

Just finished this... First time seeing it. Really great documentary.

[​IMG]

Crispy Rob, ARK, adamos and 7 others like this.
  23. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Jorma stream from Fur Peace Ranch. He's got a nice painting of Jerry the stage tonight, and honoring his old friend with great pickin'.

24. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Frank Zappa sampling tonight:

8/23-24/73 Helsinki - Road Tapes

Big Swifty

Damn man, Frank could tear heads with the best of 'em...

Crispy Rob, jay.dee, Rne and 7 others like this.
  25. Jim Walker

Jim Walker Senior Member

I listened to Thick As A Brick--SW remix late last night/this morning, a remarkable record anytime really.
    Since I get captured occasionally by another run on a Harry Potter movie while ch-surfing--they draw me
    in, i'm hopeless), I wonder sometimes if someone got JK Rowling stoned, and turned her on to TAAB
    sometime later. Oh well, just a thought.

Songs of the South was an unexpected surprise when I saw it about half a year ago. I'll probably watch
    it again soon.

NP... when those English blokes were on they were on, the stinging, cluttered, cutting rhythm guitars,
    majestic vocal sweeps of dire, the cool lyrics, and it all adds up to some still thrilling music forty years
    later. I get moved the same way I do with Roxy Music with these guys. There aren't many of the 80's
    bands that do that, ECHO does, and while not a fan of a single album of hits, this is a thoroughly
    enjoyable, great collection. Other assorted and sundry Sat'd Night Lites' power hitters are taking
    their beautiful toll on the sensory inputs...

Things are wrong
    Things are going wrong
    Can you tell that in a song
    Losing sense of those harder things
    Is this the blues I'm singing?
    ``rescue '80

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020