Un-Grateful Thread - What Are You Listening to Instead of the Dead?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tom H, Sep 24, 2014.

1. #OneOccupation

#OneOccupation Well-Known Member

I just finished side one of Wake of the Flood, but CRB's been
    in heavy rotation lately, particularly Betty's SF Blends

Erik B. and Gammondorf like this.
  2. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

*Zod* likes this.
  3. BurgerKing

BurgerKing Forum Resident

You should. Start with American Beauty, then go backward. When you get to the beginning, go back to AB and move forward.

4. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Long time GD fan, but really only listen to them when skiing anymore

5. musicalbeds

musicalbeds Strange but not a stranger

I've been trying to learn John Mayer's acoustic version of No Such Thing, via Youtube etc.

The guy's a great player live...saw him at Crossroads doing Don't Bring Me Down with Keith Urban, and he's terrific on the electric, and from what I see on Youtube, acoustically he's just as talented, if not more so.

So, I've been listening to this one song over and over, trying to remember the words and chords so I can add it to my repertoire. I already do Daughters and You're Body Is A Wonderland on acoustic, this one has a great pace and lots of fun changes.

6. musicalbeds

musicalbeds Strange but not a stranger

Also, he's got a "GD" influence...listen to some of his live songs, he jams them out. This one from the same Crossroads shows it....4:44 on has him using an envelope filter effect for example.

grey_beard and nitsuj like this.
  7. captwillard

captwillard Forum Resident

Sturgill Simpson, Phish (LP's), Funkadelic (LP), Dwight Yoakam (LP), Beatles (Mono LP), Interpol, Tweedy.

rockinlazys likes this.
  8. MonkeyMan

MonkeyMan A man who dreams he is a butterfly?

Streaming a little JGB this morning...

Dennis0675 likes this.
  9. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

George Strait, Buck Owens and the Jazz Crusaders mosaic box.

10. Mulroydave

Mulroydave Forum Resident

Lucinda Williams , Down Where the Spirit Meets the Bone

11. Scopitone

That's not very "un"-grateful of you, now, is it? :p

MonkeyMan likes this.
  12. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

Wow! This is interesting. I did not think that Deadheads listened to anything other than the GD. There is hope after all.

13. drumtalking

drumtalking Member

I've become obsessed with The Black Lillies, from Knoxville, TN, after seeing them in person last month--especially live (downloads available on archive.org)--incredible songwriting, vocals, tight band and guitar work (noticeably Garcia-influenced electric/pedal steel). I am in awe...

14. Stan

Stan Forum Resident

i have to say, recordings from Bob Dylan's NET seem to be the most viable alternative to listening to Dead shows, if you want to maintain that degree of magic.

15. Scopitone

It's kind of a 90/10 thing.

Maybe 80/20, but part of that 20% is going to been The Dead's influences, like Dylan, Haggard, blues, free jazz. Or its jam band followers. :D

samthesham likes this.
  16. gkella

gkella Glen Kellaway From The Basement

Between Dead and Garcia albums, I listened to
    Dylan Blood On The Tracks
    Yes The Yes Album
    Spirit Twelve Dreams....
    Glen

Scopitone likes this.
  17. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Taking a break on reliving Spring '90, before moving on from Hamilton to Albany, I've been listening to the new Tweedy, Spoon's They Want Your Soul (both great), Parliament's Gloryhallastoopid, Alice Coltrane's P'tah the El Daoud, the Gun Club's Fire of Love, the Rolling Stones Four Flicks DVD, some David Murray and a ton of randomly shuffled usual favorites on the iPod, which is what I'm doing at the moment at work. The studio version of Box of Rain just came up on shuffle, though, so I probably should not be on this thread right now.

Will get back to Spring '90 in a night or two, but had to take a break for a week or so, after getting through the first 7 shows of the tour.

18. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I bought the Complete Pablo Solo Masterpieces a couple years ago, as I'd been meaning to check out Tatum ever since I read the same interviews with Garcia years and years ago. Highly recommended. Now listening to mono version of Dylan's Dear Landlord. Forgot to say earlier that I also listened to King Crimson's In the Wake of Poseidon a couple days ago, in anticipation of seeing them this Friday.

19. JRM

JRM Forum Resident

That's the next one I want to get...I only have the other set, the Complete Pablo Group Masterpieces, also highly recommended!

Crispy Rob likes this.
  20. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Good to know; I've thought about that one as well but haven't gotten around to it. Too many large box purchases recently and coming down the pike, but will keep that one in mind in the long run.

JRM likes this.
  21. PhoffiFozz

PhoffiFozz Forum Resident

I just took a break in the middle of the Spring 1990 (The Other One) set. (I usually break up my dead-streaks with other music) and have been concentrating a lot on the George Harrison box set, in particular Wonderwall Music and it's bootleg counterparts with plenty of music not on the album.

22. MonkeyMan

Maybe I'll spin some Old & In the Way...

mojo525 likes this.
  23. Scopitone

You're like a loose cannon!

MonkeyMan likes this.
  24. MonkeyMan

That's it... I'm breaking out my Neil Diamond collection.

WiseJake237 likes this.
  25. Chris S.

Chris S. Forum Resident

Mono Rubber Soul at the moment.

Crimson Witch likes this.