Un-Grateful Thread - What Are You Listening to Instead of the Dead?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tom H, Sep 24, 2014.

1. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

"I start to get the urge of conquer Poland"
    One of my countless favorite Woody Allen moments.

jay.dee, rockinlazys, Reever and 3 others like this.
  2. Jerfan13

Jerfan13 Makes wrinkles advertised as creases

3. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

To clear up the record the first 4 performances of Lost Sailor occurred without Saint of Circumstance. Of course it was initially performed at 4 consecutive shows making it instantly over-played. :doh:

rockinlazys and Rne like this.
  4. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

Listening to this right now... It’s incredible. Amazing how three musicians can conjure this kind of hypnotic sound that you can get lost in. It just gets better as it evolves too, and never drags.

5. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

I can't agree with the "over-played" part. In my opinion, "Saint" doesn't have much to offer, but "Sailor" is one of Bob's best songs.

notesofachord and US Blues like this.
  6. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Stills & Collins Everybody Knows. A simple, pleasant collaboration from 2017; mainly covers and new recordings of old songs. Judy Collins does a nice version of Who Knows Where The Time Goes. Her new original River of Gold is pretty good too.

7. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

[​IMG]
    LA Woman. The Doors, 1971.

Jim Walker, Erik B., ARK and 8 others like this.
  8. Jowcol

Jowcol Forum Resident

Bert Jansch “Crimson Moon”

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. wlove2372

wlove2372 Forum Resident

he's such an awkward guy. seems so uncomfortable. but then he plays and that **** all goes away

Erik B., budwhite and US Blues like this.
  10. Reever

Reever Forum Resident

The Bangles, The Three O'Clock, The Dream Syndicate, & Rain Parade, 3x4

Paisley Underground bands playing each other's songs. Marvelous. Excellent recording and pressing.

The vinyl itself is stunning to look at. Typically these colored records aren't quite as advertised, but this one, 'A rich jewel in an Ethiop's ear.'

[​IMG]

11. siebrand

siebrand music lover

It was oooh so nice, when it came out
    It is oooh so nice, nowadays...

[​IMG]

Erik B., ARK, budwhite and 7 others like this.
  12. Reever

Reever Forum Resident

Last one. Called for, I should think.

[​IMG]

jay.dee, SeeDubs, Dennis0675 and 6 others like this.
  13. sami

sami Mono still rules

I wore out half that recotd as a college radio jock.

rockinlazys, notesofachord and Reever like this.
  14. Reever

Reever Forum Resident

One record worn thin. Still sounds amazing, though.

My choice, Record of the 8os.

sami likes this.
  15. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

[​IMG]
    The Doors. The Doors, 1967.

Surround mix (actually, just a bit of reverb coming from the rear channels, that's all).

Erik B., ARK, budwhite and 6 others like this.
  16. Reever

Reever Forum Resident

Eleventh Dream Day, Beet

[​IMG]

17. Jowcol

Jowcol Forum Resident

In the short time I’ve been visiting this site I think the cover I’ve seen most often is
    L A Woman, which prompted me to play

[​IMG]

Riders On The Storm probably closest to final version

18. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

MF Doom - Operation Doomsday

[​IMG]

notesofachord and bzfgt like this.
  19. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Listening to my trusty old 1985 CD. Chrysalis 41003

siebrand, Erik B., budwhite and 5 others like this.
  20. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

The Gearbox Explodes

Tony Bevan on bass saxophone
    John Edwards on double bass
    Sunny Murray on drums

recorded live on October 24, 2006 in Newcastle

37:46 piece

let’s see first listen to the first one of two I just bought with the awesome John Edwards teaming with the late, *great* Sunny Murray - It starts with the legend alone behind the kit and he’s storming. Those cymbals / I’m getting chills hearing my hero who I only saw live once... let’s GOOO as they all join in...

21. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Began the day with Coltrane, A Love Supreme. It was its turn in the rotation, so sue me.

I really love this album, although aside from its cohesiveness it's not in another qualitative zone from some of his other albums from this period.

In any case, I never followed along with the text during "Psalm" before, and I did this today. To my utter amazement, it is possible to follow with the text right to the end--he ended it as I got to the last line, where I was sure I must have gotten off track with him at some point. So the connection to the text is very straightforward, there may be an extra syllable here or there but not enough to throw me off.

"Psalm" has always been my least favorite section, and the connection to the text is actually kind of annoying, like I don't know whether to listen with or without for the best experience--either way, it's distracting. And taken on its own, as a piece of music, it's very nice but should only be 3 minutes long.

"Resolution" and "Pursuance" are, ultimately, where it's at.

22. Dahabenzapple

Follow it with Tony Bevan, John Edwards & Sunny Murray - and keep in mind that Murray was playing this stuff on drums in 1964. The above recording is 42 years later and the most relaxed drummer who ever lived, THE drummer who INVENTED free drumming - is still almost falling off his stool.

And when he passed away in December 7, 2017 nary a word was heard outside of some small circles. Possibly the most important drummer of the last 60 years leaves us and shhhhhhh.....

Spiritual Unity, baby

jay.dee, sami, US Blues and 1 other person like this.
  23. bzfgt

I followed up Coltrane with some Oh Sees. Floating Coffin is an old favorite. Then I put on The Master's Bedroom is Worth Spending a Night In, which is an absolute masterpiece. I love this band so much...it used to be people would say they were a retro garage-psych outfit who didn't really do anything new, like you see nowadays... but even in their old stuff I always thought that was a serious misunderstanding, as it's one thing to have evident influences, and another to ape them. I always thought they were very original, and like all the best bands it's mystifying where a lot of the sounds and ideas come from. In any case, it's been a good several albums since anyone could even think to accuse them of not being unique, I think. But The Master's Bedroom in any case is a tour de force, it's as good as anything from the 21st century.

Next up was Protean Threat which is a puzzling but intensely pleasing singularity, although at times I think the lyrics can be a little dumb.

24. bzfgt

What album are you saying?

25. Dahabenzapple

The Gearbox Explodes - right in the middle of it. I’m still trying to be sure Bevan plays BASS saxophone and screams like he does.

On his label Foghorn Records - got the downloads on Bandcamp

I never knew Edwards and Murray linked up towards the end of Murray’s life before he could no longer play.

bzfgt likes this.