Un-Grateful Thread - What Are You Listening to Instead of the Dead?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tom H, Sep 24, 2014.

1. ruben lopez

ruben lopez Nunc Est Bibendum

Some 1929 Jelly Roll Morton.

rockinlazys and wavethatflag like this.
  2. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

Well, by that logic, I should be a big fan of Aerosmith, Boston, J. Geils and the Cars. Other than Aerosmith's first three albums, you can pretty much count me out, thank you very much. :agree:

3. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

I'm originally from MA, so I have a soft spot for all those bands, although I wouldn't rank any as all-time favorites. I do have "Smokin'" and "Shake It Up" on the playlist I run to, however. I picked up a J. Geils Greatest Hits CD not too long ago, and there isn't a dud on it.

4. Archtop

I take it that Centerfold and Love Stinks must not be on that. ;)

5. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Have You Seen the Stars Tonight made it onto several mix tapes I made back in the day. I had it back in college before I moved to the west coast, but it is definitely part of the rotation and highly recommended, as is the other great P.E.R.R.O. album, Crosby's first solo album. the DVD-A version of that one sounds great.

Archtop and wavethatflag like this.
  6. Archtop

Jack Casady's bass parts on Sunrise are something I could listen to over and over.

7. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

This evening I was listening to the Black Crowes (Croweology) a live show from the CRB and Van Morrison and His Street Choir

8. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

This evening I was listening to the Black Crowes (Croweology) a live show from the CRB and Van Morrison and His Street Choir

9. rockinlazys

rockinlazys Forum Resident

In the Midwest this was the go to gatefold :) and the art fit the music work masterfully. Who could not dig Paul's hair? As for J. Giles, I love the S/T, Bloodshot, Full House and for me Monkey Island is an overlooked classic. As a live band J.Giles and the boys were first class(IMO). On a night when they were right they could hold their own with most anyone, once saw them go toe to toe with Zappa. Love their take of First I Look At The Purse, oh it sounds like they are having a stone gas!

10. Archtop

For those of you who dig the jazzy side of the Dead, you need to check out some real jazz. Perhaps many of you have. Tonight, I've re-visited one of the best jazz CDs of the modern era - that being from somewhere around 1985 to present. We can argy-bargy what modern era means, but let's not. Niels-Henning Orsted Pedersen as leader, with the brilliant Renee Rosnes on piano and Jonas Johansen on the kit.

An all-world f-in' ever version of Someday My Prince Will Come. Tune is in 3 and listen to Rosnes throw in a brilliant 4 over 3 from 2:48-2:54. That makes every hair follicle on my body get a bonner (what's a bonner?). The whole tune is just brilliant. So yeah, this is what I'm listening to while waiting for 11.18.72. What makes this so good is that it embodies much of what the Dead and all music I really love was all about - loose tightness/tight looseness and all that.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2014
  11. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Listening to Songs In the Key of Life for the first time in a long while, gearing up for Stevie's performance this Friday at Oracle Arena in Oakland. It's like sunshine in my ears on this rainy Bay Area morning.

notesofachord, Erik B. and Rne like this.
  12. Frippwire

Frippwire Well-Known Member

I'm in the middle of the duets set by Chick Corea & Hiromi. Good stuff!

Crimson Witch likes this.
  13. Tom H

Tom H Forum Resident Thread Starter

Taking a break this morning, listening to Santana Caravanserai.

notesofachord and Erik B. like this.
  14. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

I'm in a non-Dead phase, but there's no need to worry, it happens to me once a year, and it's completely understandable. I can have one woman in my life and be loyal to her, but not only one band! :D

15. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

REM's Unplugged CD release. Picked this up a few months ago but hadn't gotten to it yet. Working from home today because California's school districts are headed by weather wimps and school was cancelled today because of a bit of wind and rain (Oh, the dreadful wind and rain). This is a nice low key listen on a rainy morning, and easier to pick up some of the lyrics on the older tunes. Really like the Live at Olympia album, too, by the way, recommended for any REM fans.

16. wavethatflag

I just re-discovered Robert Palmer's Sneakin' Sally Through The Alley. Although I could hear the difference between this album and his 80s output, I never knew that difference consisted of Lowell George, other members of Little Feat, and The Meters backing him on Sneakin'. Currently on track four of this album...

And on the last track now. This album is as good an excuse as you can have to put Robert Palmer in your collection. Very white-boy funky.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2014
    notesofachord and Crispy Rob like this.
  17. rcb30

rcb30 Fender Rhodesian

Greyboy All-Stars.
    Springsteen (Houston '14 download).
    Leonard Cohen (Live In London).

18. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Great album, someone turned me on to it about 20 years ago and it is worth getting over any skepticism a person might have about having Robert Palmer in their collection.

As an aside, our elementary school auction had a rock and roll costume theme this year. A group of the women went as the women from the Robert Palmer videos - one of the more clever costumes. I also saw Axl and Slash chatting, so apparently they were able to put their differences aside for the cause.

rockinlazys and wavethatflag like this.
  19. Complier

Complier Senior Member

As much as I love Grateful Dead, music I could never listen to ONLY Grateful Dead music. That would like be eating pizza every day.

20. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Right on. It's not good for your health. "Too much of anything is too much for me", as Pete Townshend wrote.

21. wavethatflag

It was probably 20 years ago when I first heard Palmer's version of "Sneakin'" on the radio and was like "Whoa, this is so much better than Power Station or 'Bad Case Of Loving You'" (if that is indeed the name of that song), but I never sought out the album until I saw it on Anazon a week ago.

Little Feat was something folks in my Deadhead crew in college would always trot out at parties, but I never took a shine to it until maybe five years ago. So now I know that Robert Palmer was actually cool at one point. Not that I hate the Power Station stuff, but the suit and tied heavy pop sound got old sort of fast. Then again, if you're a music fan growing up in the 80s, you've got the "Addicted To Love" video seared onto your frontal lobe. At least I do.

Crispy Rob likes this.
  22. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

No Dead today (yet). Going through and enjoying some recent iTunes purchases:

Sheryl Crow - 100 Miles from Memphis
    Girls With Guitars - bought the 3 Samantha Fish tracks, because Sam
    The War on Drugs - Lost in the Dream
    Elvis Costello - Aim and Model

23. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

Sometimes, ya just gotta have some hair metal. Or some Miley Cyrus. :p

Jerry and the boys and Donna will always be waiting to welcome us back.

24. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

On the other hand, "too much of everything is just enough." Of course "everything" includes Dead and non-Dead, so there you go.

ianuaditis likes this.
  25. rockinlazys

rockinlazys Forum Resident

I would like to add Pride and Some people can do what they like to Robert Palmer's really fine output. Listening to Rory Gallagher-Deuce(not as good on record as he was live but still a pretty solid Lp), Jeb Loy Nichols- Lovers Knot and finally The Ghastly Ones- A-Haunting We Will Go- Go. Don't Phish do a cover of Sneakin' Sally Through The Alley? Might be wrong but you folks would know.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2014