Un-Grateful Thread - What Are You Listening to Instead of the Dead?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tom H, Sep 24, 2014.

1. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Now streaming. Sounds good so far
    White Album remix plus Escher demos and outtakes/alternative takes

[​IMG]

2. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

I have five or six versions of this album. I must admit, though, that I'm not very insterested in the improvisation on disc 2. Henry Vestine's guitar playing manages to bore me when he play long solos in which he seems to be playing the same over and over again. And I say it as the Canned Heat fan I am.
    Now, disc 1 is pure gold.

footlooseman likes this.
  3. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

I will have to so some Police listening after all these posts.

Crispy Rob and wavethatflag like this.
  4. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Whether or not it's the ultimate in fidelity or not, I am quite fond of Message in a Box. It was (well, either this one or The Who: Maximum RnB) my first CD box set when I got it for Christmas as a teen in the mid-90s. I poured over the liner notes and listened to each disc many, many times. My music collection was, obviously, very small at the time and this was the first time that I acquired a band's entire (well, almost) output just by getting a single release. There are many gems among the plethora of b-sides and rarities included, which gives this box a great value and purpose - even if one owns the main albums in another form.

5. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

6. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Oh Sees Smote Reverser

Crispy Rob likes this.
  7. bzfgt

I remember when that came out...album after Oh Mercy, which we all loved, and we put this on and were mystified...

8. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

I would label it under "uneventful Dylan albums", but it's not bad. I imagine the opening "Wiggle Wiggle" must have caused some perplexity.

Erik B., adamos, warewolf95 and 2 others like this.
  9. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

I instantly took a shine to almost all of Dylan's pre-80s catalog, but the stuff that came later, generally speaking, found me sort of hating it but then coming around to it years later. Whether due to fading powers of discrimination, or enlightenment, I can enjoy something like Together Through Life.
    Moscow girls make me sing and shout. Not that I've ever met one. I met a woman from Georgia once, and then she told me "the country, not the state." I felt like saying, yeah, don't worry, your accent was a tip-off. Oh bla di, oh bla da, etc.

Man, the White Album, I put it on and now I can't stop listening. It's enough to make me say, "F--k work, this is what I'm supposed to be doing until it ends."

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
    Erik B., Crispy Rob, budwhite and 2 others like this.
  10. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Welp, guess I'm giving up on ever seeing Iron Maiden

Missed 'em in 2009, 2012 and 2016 (not for lack of trying!!!)

They will be playing near me but I will be on the road when it's time to get tickets and I can't afford to buy any this week anyways after bills and all that.

:(

Erik B. likes this.
  11. wavethatflag

Just keep your focus on the McCartney show you're going to (assuming that hasn't happened yet).

warewolf95 likes this.
  12. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

I've got 8 month for Macca to decide to cancel the show :D

That being said, Maiden is now - officially - the only artist I want to see.

Of course I'd love to see Phish (and plan to do so), but Maiden is it on my "list" now that Macca is out of the way.

US Blues and wavethatflag like this.
  13. Jim Walker

Jim Walker Senior Member

In the door--hit play--ice up--pour--squeeze--gulp--jam to
    Some Girls/Lies played fookin' LOUD-- back out the door--
    drive--friends--a food and a drink--i'm too old for this--just
    havin' fun--will i ever grow up--another Friday night--lol

[​IMG]

14. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

[​IMG]
    I don't have any interest in Nirvana, except for this album, which is excellent. Who knows which musical paths would have the band taken hadn't Cobain commit suicide.

15. wavethatflag

I think this is the best of the MTV Unplugged series.

16. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

One of the best, that's for sure.

17. wavethatflag

I like a few of the Unplugged(s). I have the AIC one. Maybe that's the only other one I have. Anyway, having survived the 90s, I can't think of ... oh, wait, the Clapton Unplugged. But I thought that one was a bit lame. I don't like slow, acoustic "Layla," and while I appreciate the sentiment he was expressing, I was not a "Tears In Heaven" fan. In fact, I used to sing a cruel parody of that song to myself that I would never repeat today. Anyway, I can't think of an Unplugged that was as good as Nirvana's.

I recall the STP edition, but even though I really liked that band, I don't remember being super impressed, and the fact that Weiland was in a rocking chair was really bothering me. Stool, dude, stool.

Now, I'll just sit here and wait for @Erik B. to reply in ornery fashion. :D I'm fairly sure PJ did an Unplugged. Unfortunately that move wasn't a permanent one.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
  18. HardTimesRoughLines

HardTimesRoughLines She learned me life is sweet and God is good

You crazy guys got another thread as well? Don't you ever sleep? Okay, then.

Today:

-entire The Beatles box set almost twice
    -More Blood, More Tracks every day the last week

Now playing: Primal Scream More Light

Best regards and a whole lot of margaritas,

HTRL

19. HardTimesRoughLines

No parody of that song could ever be cruel enough if you ask me. And Laila without the parts that make the song great (riff, coda) was the worst idea ever.

Best regards,

HTRL

bzfgt and wavethatflag like this.
  20. HardTimesRoughLines

It is really not that bad. Or compared to his other stuff it mostly is. But bad Bob is still good Bob and even his worst crapola has something to recomend about it. At least he followed with at least three of his alltime best (Love and Theft, Modern Times, Tempest). Then again you might not agree. Still good.

Best regrds,

HRTL

21. bzfgt

Well he followed directly with Good as I Been to You, World Gone Wrong, and Time Out of Mind, all of which are strong albums...the ones you name I never got into as much but they are good too.

22. HardTimesRoughLines

Well the three you name are also really good. The only one I cannot get my head around post Under around is Together Thru Life. But will get there one day, specially now that I know about Robert Hunter being more than the guy he wrote "Silvio" and "The Ugliest Girl in the World" with.

tEMPEST may be uneven but it got "Pay in Blood". That is the best thing ever by anyone.

Bestr egard,

HTRL

Crispy Rob and bzfgt like this.
  23. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

I love Björk's Unplugged set, that one is truly marvelous.
    The one Charly García did was awesome too, but being an Argentine musician, it never got much attention outside South America (the same applies to the one recorded by Luis Alberto Spinetta).
    I love Neil Young's set too.

I'm sure I'm forgetting others.

budwhite and wavethatflag like this.
  24. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

A couple of examples of Argentine musicians on MTV Unplugged:

Charly García:

It was the best moment in his career, but he managed to play a great show.

25. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Luis Alberto Spinetta:

Spinetta played a couple of classics (like the one in the video) and lots of new songs nobody knew. A very delicate set.