Un-Grateful Thread - What Are You Listening to Instead of the Dead?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tom H, Sep 24, 2014.

1. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

A Mach piece (in D Minor - the saddest of keys) by Nigel Tufnel of Spinal Tap.

Rne, budwhite and DrLunchbox like this.
  2. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

3. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

You're hanging out at a friend's house, and as soon as they put this on, you said, "Let Me Roll It" and reached for the gatefold. :uhhuh:

4. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

The only problem is that a few minutes later one of you starts babbling about “Jet” and doesn’t make any sense whatsoever. A small price to pay, but just pointing it out...

5. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Unfortunately, I don't have the MoFi, but the Wilder remix is excellent, as well as the previous Anesini remix, which is even better for my ears.
    One of my favorite albums by Miles.

Crimson Witch likes this.
  6. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

[​IMG]
    Love Loves To Love Lulu, 1967
    Some might think this is lame. Whatever, I love Lulu's voice.
    Her version of "Morning Dew" is not exactly what we Dead fans are used to, but it's not bad at all.

notesofachord likes this.
  7. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Pere Ubu Pennsylvania

8. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Kind of Blue

Miles.

9. DrLunchbox

DrLunchbox Forum Deadhead #1604

The Saw Doctors - All The Way From Tuam

bxbluesman likes this.
  10. US Blues

[​IMG]

50th Anniversary Edition. New stereo mix. :agree:

11. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Most of the MoFi’s use the original mixes (except Kind of Blue, I believe, where the original stereo mix tapes are gone). Another reason they are worth seeking out.

12. I've had a couple of compilations in heavy rotation recently-

The Best of the Gipsy Kings-- I love that guitar sound. Most of the tunes sound similar to me, but my guess is that's more about my unfamiliarity with the music and the foreign language singing than a problem with samey-sounding compositions. I'm going to keep on playing it and allow the subtleties to sink in between my ears. Too fast for me to figure out the guitar licks without putting it into my pitch control CD player, though. Blinding fast, sometimes.

All The Best, Glen Campbell-- Just got this one, haven't heard it all the way through. There are a few surprises that I haven't heard, like covers of tunes more associated with Roy Orbison and Elvis Presley. "Galveston", "Witchita Lineman", and "By The Time I Get To Phoenix" are all on here, of course. Some of the best melodies around, but I realized that I have the same problem with those songs that I did when I was fourteen years old: the goopy, string-saturated arrangements are just too much mid-1960s Muzak-y for my taste. All of those songs would have benefited by a more Steve Earle Guitar Town approach, as it were. Also, John Hartford's "Gentle On My Mind" is a better song than "Witchita Lineman", and I'll stand on Jimmy Webb's coffee table in my Teva sandals and tell that to him to his face. With all due respect, of course. "Witchita Lineman" is a superb song, but it just so happens that "Gentle On My Mind" edges it out. Granted, my critical opinion may be informed by the fact that Glen's performance of Hartford's song isn't burdened with a Percy Faith-style string arrangement.

All that said, I also realized that I don't have anything against string and horn arrangement for an Americana/country rock tune, per se. At least, not when it's done as well as it is on Campbell's rendition of Webb's "Highwayman". Now that is an arrangement. Brian Wilson and Van Dyke Parks couldn't have put that one together better. Everything about the string and brass parts propels the narrative. The kicker: matter of fact, despite the fact that Campbell's singing sounds a little brittle to me compared to the traded verses version done by the all-star band of the same name, "Highwayman" is a better tune than either "Witchita Lineman" or "Gentle On My Mind." In my opinion. Until further notice, anyway.

Version that I most want to find: the live rendition of "Highwayman" done by the Highwaymen at one of the 1980s Farm Aid concerts, with Campbell included as one of the band members. Complete with a brief but memorable electric guitar solo break by the master.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
  13. US Blues

The new edition of Kind of Blue sound wonderful. I got the 24/192 from HDTracks and it is a delight.

14. Jim Walker

Jim Walker Senior Member

When you're lost in the rain in Juarez when it's Easter time, too...

Sometimes I wonder who that line was meant for, but it is a good
    line, a masculine line (lol). Michael Bloomfield is ripping blues
    incandescent here. I wish I had seen him play in the studio
    during this recording, and I wish he had made it through life
    a little longer too. Doc and Merle moonshining, mining the best
    in blues picking... charming tunes that swing in goodness and
    grace; Gram and the Burritos laying it on the line in an entertaining
    posthumous batch of songs put together on lp in '76. The Byrds open
    up this program shuffle with a few Unissued alternative tracks, and
    close it out with their last incarnation and swan song album as we
    knew them. Clarence White we hardly knew ya... maybe you're
    making rain with Bloomfield and Parsons somewheres in the misty
    hillhops of Juarez. Maybe not...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
    bzfgt, Crimson Witch, Erik B. and 6 others like this.
  15. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Good to know. The relatively recent MoFi SACD has become my KoB go to, although I also occasionally spin the 40th anniversary vinyl, which is solid, but not up to par with my father's vinyl copy, which is either an original or an early 1960s reissue, and is the copy I played the first several dozen times I heard the album.

16. US Blues

It's a remix from the original 3 track master, played back at the proper speed. The only thing they missed is the Plangent Process. :tsk:

17. Helter Skelter

Helter Skelter Forum Resident

18. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Ditto the MoFi IIRC. Remixes to resemble the original mix as much as possible, since the master of that mix is lost or too degraded, but they used the master 3 track. Sounds great to my ears.

budwhite and US Blues like this.
  19. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

Gym music again tonight

footlooseman and Crispy Rob like this.
  20. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

This was released in my Smokin daze during college. Needless to say the cd got a lot of play

21. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Easily the best post Beatles record. It's beautifully played.
    I put it up there with the fabs last years. Definitely better than Let it Be.

22. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

23. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

24. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

I view it as "chimey" synth-folk
    A great follow up to the full boat, arena assaulting P.R.

Crispy Rob and warewolf95 like this.
  25. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

[​IMG]
    Around The World In A Day. Excellent album by Prince.