Un-Grateful Thread - What Are You Listening to Instead of the Dead?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tom H, Sep 24, 2014.

1. Jim Walker

Jim Walker Senior Member

Can't think of better set of tunes for a chilly rain-bound earth,
    late evening December, tall stem glass filled of grape and raised
    for libatious pursuit of something, anything... Roxy Music!

Country Life is probably their most accomplished studio title imho.
    Playing is the 1999 Virgin remaster, but I purchased Stranded,
    Siren, and For Your Pleasure
    in the same format, but I have
    most of the other catalog and member offshoots in various
    cd formats as well. What made Roxy so great was the core
    of loaded talent: Mackay, Thompson and Jobson, and how
    they integrated that buzzed 50's jet fueled rumble with
    the artful embellishments of the Manzanera, Ferry and ENO
    crowd. Prairie Rose still makes me want to rock like fool and
    is a great closer. Stranded, Diamond Head follow, but not
    before side one of Larks Tongue in Aspic cuz I saw the cover
    before cd flipping to the Roxy stuff. I'm cranking the audio
    components a bit more than usual this evening, which is a
    positive thing.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
  2. Kate_C.

Kate_C. abyssus abyssum invocat

Great white way ... on tour, that is. My first attendance of "The King & I" in Knoxville for the matinee show this p.m. Sadly, a quick trip home ahead of Diego; and if you don't know who he is, just check the southeast quadrant on national weather radar. Yikes. We're forecast a foot in the next 12-16 hours. Nevertheless, brilliant show with the magnificent Angela Baumgarden as Anna; I was reduced to a teary state when she sang "Young Lovers" and its reprise. I appreciate the avoidance of historical recast within the parameters of contemporary political correctness versus expanded consciousness of universal human rights; indeed, the play's clear Asian stereotypes merely served to underscore their absurdity, as does Huck Finn, Heart of Darkness, etc. with regard to black people.

Anyway, round trip soundtrack comprised Wobbler ("Hinterland"), Phideaux ("Seven"x2), and Riverside ("Out of Myself"); if you'd've told me 3 months ago that I'd be listening to a steady diet of modern Prog, I would've bet a paycheck that Mueller's first official filing wouldn't have indicted 45 for criminal activity - and been wrong on both counts. Great music being made in spades today. Of note: I had a derogatory post regarding Dylan deleted in the Christmas Album thread b/c it was declared a "threadcrap"; well, at least the last 4 letters of that rationale apply to BobbyD's X-mas release. And I feel an unqualified right to say so having purchased the Big Red Album Box and every iteration of the Bootleg Series thus far! Oh those mean, mean, green, Grinchy-mean mods. Edit: :)

adamos, US Blues and Gollum like this.
  3. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

That sounds like the skipping sound must be on the original master tape, for whatever reason.

4. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

A little snow to cool a Hobbits toes is nothing to be concerned about, so long as you are not driving in same, and your power stays on.

And as a member of the legal profession you should have known better than to bet against Bob Mueller, Great American Hero. As for modern Prog, it takes its stylistic cues from the first Styx album and confuses that with the inspiration that classically trained, Art School raised British teens brought to their music making in the wake of the Beatles. Placing bands like Yes, Gong, Genesis, King Crimson, ELP, and Pink Floyd into a lump together because they made use of those new-fangled synthesizers is an artifact of the SHF. Much like psychedelic music, according to most Hoffmanites, consisted solely of music that sounds not-so-vaguely like outtakes from Surrealistic Pillow. There's a thread here about "the most psychedelic band," and many people simply cannot comprehend that the house band for the Acid Tests does not have to compete for the title. But most folks on SHF both: 1) never passed the acid test, and 2) never saw Jerry play live.

I hope your experience of Diego is a positive one.

Gollum likes this.
  5. US Blues

Well, that's an early morning rant. Please remind me not to post before I sit, never mind before I ingest caffeine. :(:nyah:

6. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Van Morrison - Into the mystic.
    One of my favorite songs.
    Did Jerry ever play it? Seems like it would've fit the Garcia band just perfect

7. US Blues

I don't know that Jerry ever performed it.

I did see Warren Haynes perform it with the Q, absolutely stunning. The thing with Warren is there is a certain range of material he can perform exquisitely, and when he is in his wheelhouse he's awesome.

8. budwhite

[​IMG]

Norah Jones with Brian Blade and Chris Thomas.
    Such a beautiful and talented lady!

9. US Blues

She is Ravi Shankar's daughter.

budwhite likes this.
  10. Jim Walker

Jim Walker Senior Member

According to something I just looked at The Dead played Van's
    Into the Mystic
    in 2004 and 2009, but no mention of Jerry Garcia
    ever covering the song.

Thanks for bringing up Van too, I need some meditative center this
    AM with my cup and morning mode--too many elder's birthday
    parties going on lately lol. Booker's Space Book fits into the batch
    nicely, exceptional record, Jaki Byard is such a great pianist too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

[​IMG]
    Disc 1

adamos likes this.
  12. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

A very versatile talent. I must admit, though, that I don't have a single title by her or any of her projects in my collection :shrug:

13. budwhite

Versatile indeed! She does a lot of different styles
    This is a great song from her latest record. The rhythm section is killing it!

adamos and Rne like this.
  14. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

15. okay, on further listening I'm gonna have to do an addendum & revision to the Glen Campbell portion of this one.

First, a historical note: the same guy who did the arrangements for Jimmy Webb's "Galveston" and "Witchita Lineman"- which I criticized as too syrupy- also did the setting for John Hartford's superb "Gentle On My Mind", which I had mentioned as exemplary. Al DeLory of the Wrecking Crew did the scoring for all of those tunes.

Anyway, since my last note here, the arrangement of "Witchita Lineman" has grown on me. I still think it's a little overcooked, but does it ever mesh together. And I love Hal Blaine's subtle drum touches on it, especially at the end. The strings and horns on "Galveston" have a nice cinematic sweep, too, but I don't think the mood matches the lyrics. If all you heard was the instrumental, you'd never guess that the song was about an American soldier in Vietnam on the front line, pining for his love 10,000 miles away and hoping that he'll make it through his tour of duty alive and undamaged.

But DeLory captures the mood of "Gentle On My Mind" perfectly. There are strings in that arrangement, too, but they're mixed just right, allowing the banjo and guitar to carry most of the weight of the tune. And Campbell's vocal take on all three of those ballads is superlative.

Glen's singing on "The Highwayman", by contrast, is not a stellar performance. For most of it, he just sounds like he's reading the lyrics off of the page- only in the last verse does he step up and put some feeling into the words. (The vocal performance by the band The Highwaymen is much, much better. Willie, Waylon, Kris and Johnny Cash each get a verse, and each of them put their storytelling souls into the lyric.) And the drumming on this track might as well be a top-of-the-beat rhythm machine. The best that can be said is that it doesn't impede the overall excellence of the rest of the arrangement too much. But if only Hal Blaine had been on hand, or maybe Jeff Porcaro, to provide some interactive commentary... It's still a great song, and the horns and strings are exemplary, as I mentioned in my previous comment. But overall, I still prefer the zillion-dollar quartet version, with its more supple rhythm section and propulsive guitar solo.

wavethatflag and bzfgt like this.
  16. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

[​IMG]
    Bought this CD for like four bucks with shipping from a fellow Hoffmanite. It's a short album and I've listened to it three times. Good stuff.

17. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

sᴩıʀıᴛ

'It Shall Be : Ode & Epic Recordings 1968-1972'
    5CD Remastered Box Set
    Esoteric Recordings label

On disc four at the moment

TRACKS 1-11 TAKEN FROM THE MONO ALBUM “SPIRIT” RELEASED IN 1968 ALONG WITH TRACKS 12-15 OUTTAKES RECORDED IN 1968 DURING SESSIONS FOR “SPIRIT”, AND TRACKS 16-19 TAKEN FROM THE 1991 COMPILATION “TIME CIRCLE” WHICH WERE REMIXED AT THE TIME FOR INCLUSION ON THAT COMPILATION.
    Remastered in 2018.

rockinlazys, notesofachord and Rne like this.
  18. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

Whiskeytown Stranger’s Almanac

budwhite likes this.
  19. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

Sat night CRB show

[​IMG]

Crispy Rob, adamos, Rne and 3 others like this.
  20. wavethatflag

[​IMG]
    Jerry jazz. I posted this recently, but again.

I gotta say, this one is a quick one hour and six minutes, on account of the teleportation and time travel aspects of the listening experience.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
  21. Alternative4

Alternative4 One of These Days I'll Get an Early Night

Paula Abdul......don't ask.

wavethatflag likes this.
  22. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

We could use some more side trips

Crispy Rob, Erik B. and Rne like this.
  23. wavethatflag

I have pictures from a Fillmore show that look just like this. Hey, what's with that logo? Is it an attempt to fashion a single character that looks like a C, an R and a B simultaneously? Because it sucks. :D

Still looking forward to this Saturday though. This is a mid-December tradition at the Fillmore.

Crispy Rob and budwhite like this.
  24. wavethatflag

Straight up, now tell me.

Everybody loved MC Skat Kat.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
  25. wavethatflag

[​IMG]
    Jerry solo is not the Grateful Dead, ergo, to wit, therefore, Un-Grateful.