Un-Grateful Thread - What Are You Listening to Instead of the Dead?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tom H, Sep 24, 2014.

1. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

Vedder!

2. samthesham

samthesham Forum Resident

Greetings & Peace to all...

Thought I would post a new listen today...

The Complete Erskine Hawkins Vol.1 & 2 (1938 - 1939) is a RCA French Import 2LP set released in 1975...

The liner notes states the music was made in France from master recordings owned & controlled by RCA...

I bought this sealed for 4.50 & man is it ever a good listen & buy !

The transfers are true mono , no fake stereo here like was the habit in 1975 on early Jazz & Swing music...

EHO went on to better things in the mid-40s...but these 34 sides are all essential in understanding the evolution of Black Swing & Big Bands of the WW2 era...

EH was a trumpet player & leader of a great Black Swing orchestra of the 1930s - 1940s...

He was nicknamed "The Gideon of The 20th Century" due to his prowess on the trumpet...

His band was comprised of excellent musicians but they weren't destined to become stars in their own right like ie Hot Lips Page or Arthur Prysock & of course Billy Strayhorn...

EHO on most nights could be found sharing the Savoy Ballroom stage with contemporary Chick Webb...

but could also be found in cutting contests with Ellington , Basie , Lionel Hampton in other NYC jazz establishments...

Where Hampton , Basie & especially Buddy Johnson on their own admissions basically formed a lot of their music around Blues charts...

EHO stayed for the most part with the free world of Jazz improvisation...like Ellington , Lunceford & Armstrong

The SQ on this set is very very good in most places but there are a few that sound like very clean 78 needle drops....not a big deal to a conneseiur of this music

The vinyl itself was clean flat and dead quiet which is a huge plus because music like this is best enjoyed in closed case top of the line headphones IMO...

Final thought , if you enjoy Black Swing & Big Bands then you will enjoy Erskine Hawkins Orchestra early sides also.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2018
    bzfgt likes this.
  3. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

No Rolling Stones songs, but many covers along with those CRB "hits" I've come to know and love.

Set uno:
    Coming 'Round the Mountain
    Oak Apple Day
    New Cannonball Rag
    Tomorrow Blues
    She Shares My Blanket
    Takin' Care of Business (Freddie King cover)
    Meanwhile in the Gods...
    Like a Tumbleweed in Eden (Chris Robinson & The New Earth Mud cover)
    Hello L.A., Bye Bye Birmingham (Delaney Bramlett cover)

Set dos:
    Try Rock & Roll (Frank Motley cover)
    Blue Star Woman
    Let It Fall
    One Hundred Days of Rain
    Never Been to Spain (Hoyt Axton cover)
    It Serves You Right to Suffer (John Lee Hooker cover)
    I Ain't Hiding (The Black Crowes cover)
    Train Robbers (Chris Robinson & The New Earth Mud cover)
    Shore Power

Encore:
    Ride on a Pony (Free cover) (live debut by CRB)

This was my third CRB mid-December show at the Fillmore in three years. It ain't approaching the holidays w/o a CRB show. This is also the first Fillmore show I was at where they handed out the fabled FREE POSTER at the end of the show. Gotta love the fabled free poster.

budwhite, adamos and Erik B. like this.
  4. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

Should have gone to all three nights

wavethatflag likes this.
  5. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

[​IMG]
    Live at Folkets Hus, Stockholm, 11/5/69.
    The unexpected return of the acoustic quintet. Chick Corea's Fender Rhodes starts to malfunction early on the opening number ("Bitches Brew"), and lays off. Undaunted, the band keeps on playing. He returns later, but on acoustic piano, which will be his instrument for the rest of the concert. This might be the only known "Bitches Brew" with acoustic piano, and perhaps the last-ever concert by an acoustic Miles Davis quintet.

6. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Back in the 90s the free poster was almost always happening at the Fillmore, but it is rarer now. Tweedy and Wilco shows there always have free posters, so I'm a bit surprised you haven't wound up with one before.

I saw Thom Yorke last night at the Bill Graham Civic, pretty good show although other than his first solo album I'm not that familiar with his solo material, and he didn't play any Radiohead. Just Thom and Nigel Godrich, with very cool visuals behind them, on mix of laptop, keyboards and guitars. Definitely more of an electronica kind of show than up my usual alley, but I enjoyed it.

rockinlazys, budwhite, adamos and 3 others like this.
  7. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Double Chocolate Phish from the Baker's Dozen box.

8. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

The fillmore east archive release is powerful. Highlights are the workouts of Relax, AQOWHA and the thirty minute mygen make this my favorite live who release

Last edited: Dec 16, 2018
    Fullbug, budwhite and Crispy Rob like this.
  9. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

The NFL on CBS.

Steelers vs. P*ts.

Erik B. likes this.
  10. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Great album :nyah:

US Blues likes this.
  11. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

Go Steelers !!!!!!

US Blues likes this.
  12. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Hey, this is a music forum, how would you feel if I started talking about River Plate (the football team, not the river)? :rant: (It's Sunday night, I get pissed off easily)

budwhite and US Blues like this.
  13. US Blues

The thread title asks what I am listening to instead of the GD. I am sorry that I was not listening to music.

frightwigwam, budwhite, bzfgt and 2 others like this.
  14. Kate_C.

Kate_C. abyssus abyssum invocat

I'd say thank Heaven for Fox Deportes and congrats on La Banda's 4th CopaLib! 44F and rainy in the Eastern Mts for the week's capstone long run this a.m. (they usually get scheduled on weekends for recovery), brightened considerably by a line-up of luminous contemporary Prog: Phideaux (Ghost, Fiendish) and Southern Empire (s/t, Civilisation), which occupied 3:45, leaving room for about 5 minutes of Wobbler's Hinterland off the album of the same name. Then I killed a scorpion in the park's bathroom before sink-bathing/changing and running errands. Puppyllon slumbered soundly in the front seat after her normal post-run treat of PB & crackers.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

PointsNorth and Rne like this.
  15. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Wait a minute! You people do other things apart from listening to music??? :wtf:
    Maybe I could give it a try.

Foolish jokes aside, I was just watching a documentary on Chinatown. I must watch that film every summer.

notesofachord and US Blues like this.
  16. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Warms my heart. They played Get Back yesterday in London. It's The Beatles bloody rhythm section plus a lone Stone on guitar. Very very cool!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ringo is almost 80 years old. It's hard to believe. Did he steal Gollum's ring or something..

17. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Elvin Bishop - Fooled around and fell in love.

Anyone remember in what classic 90s film this was featured in? It's such a great song. Magical even!
    Country piano and pedal steel mixed with groovy disco RnB

Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
  18. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

I bought it immediately when it was released and so far I have listened to it only once. Unfortunately, Keith's tom toms are almost absent in the mix, and in my opinion, the 30-minute-long "My Generation" goes nowhere. As a historical document, it's fine and I'm glad it got released, but the complete Leeds show is still my top live Who reléase, followed by the Isle of Wight set. I hope we see the San Francisco 1971 show released soon, it contains the best live "My Wife" I've heard and an absolutely killer "Bargain" among other treats.

Crimson Witch, US Blues and budwhite like this.
  19. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

[​IMG]
    Excellent album. I should pay more attention to my Weather Report collection. I haven't played many of the titles I have (not even once!).

20. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

[​IMG]
    Playing it for the very first time. I chose it because it was released two months before I was born.

21. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

[​IMG]
    Incendiary performance by Charles Mingus and his band at the Antibes Jazz Festival, 7/13/60. The one and only Eric Dolphy enrages the audience with his bass clarinet extravaganzas during "What Love?". Very intense playing.

22. US Blues

It is worth noting that Live At Leeds was recorded on 14 February 1970. There was some Valentine's magic in the air for music that day, all around this world.

23. Phoenician

Phoenician Resident Forum

King Crimson - Stadttheater, Augsburg, Germany, 27 March 1974 (Disc 12 of the Starless box)

Amazing setlist: Doctor Diamond, Easy Money, Fracture, and Starless, among many other gems. Painful that the hour of tape ran out during LTIA II because they annihilate the 2:52 that's available.

Though, I do have to admit that an hour of this era of KC is just right. I'm pretty much exhausted after an hour of trying to listen to everything that's going on.

24. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Imagine John Zacherle going: "The goddamn Who!"
    Golden days for music, no doubt about it.

25. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

I have obviously listened to it, but I don't remember anything particular about that concert. But, given the year and the tour, I'm sure it's terrific.

Crimson Witch and Phoenician like this.