Un-Grateful Thread - What Are You Listening to Instead of the Dead?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tom H, Sep 24, 2014.

1. samthesham

samthesham Forum Resident

MOI - Freak Out ! (2013)

I found this SS for $18 & thought yea I could use another copy for my collection & I was aware of the praise that Zappa reissues get , so I plopped down the bread for it...

I am impressed by the overall SQ but I here distortion , probably tape deterioration in You're Probably Wondering Why I'm Here...

It runs the entire duration of the track , otherwise a stellar reissue...

This has always been my preferred Mothers LP & for good reason...

FO is a virtual road map to all Zappas subsequent music (excluding strings)

Biting satire ,savage social commentary , Avant-garde , psychedelia , absurdity , spoken word & DooWop etc etc...

All elements & characteristics of Zappas long prolific career...

I believe I will be picking up the Absolutely Free 50th next

Performance - 9
    Sound - 8.5
    Art - 10

Pere Ubu - Twenty Years In A Montana Missile Silo (2017)

Next to the Dead , David Thomas & the Ubu family have been my favorite band of the last 44+ yrs..

I have TYIAMMS on LP & cd , tonight it's cd because I don't want to go through the vinyl routine tonight...

Anyway this latest effort is a outta sight blast from the past & it can sit comfortably between the Hearthen singles & the debut...

DT referred to it as a cross between James Gang & Can , excellent summation...

TYIAMMS is revisionist yes but its not just a rehashing of old tricks...

The LP is a short blast (28 mins) of avant-garage hard punk abrasiveness alaPistols & X- Ray Spex but with the inimitable innovative industrial genius that continues flow in DT & the Ubu...

Subjectively TYIAMMS is the sound of the hardest industrial punk broken up by echoes of Trout Mask Replica...

Performance - 10
    Sound - 10
    Art - 9

Bring on the next album boys !

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
  2. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Can anyone chime in on if this version is a remix like Money and Reuben?

Money, Reuben and Uncle Meat and Lumpy Gravy were remixed by Frank in the 80s.

The 2012/2013 editions pf those feature the remix unless you get the box set versions of each (Meat Light, Lumpy Money, etc

Point is I dont know if they did the same with Freak Out. Might explain the distortion.

Calling @pbuzby :)

Jim Walker, Crispy Rob and samthesham like this.
  3. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

The original mix of Freak Out! on cd is only available in the Making of Freak Out (MoFO) audio documentary.

adamos, Crispy Rob and warewolf95 like this.
  4. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

I'm really glad you're enjoying Kate's music so much :)

warewolf95 likes this.
  5. samthesham

According to what I discovered on the forum the original mix was used (that was my main cause for purchase)

Which like you stated & I believe is the logical explanation for distortion on the cut...

I haven't A/B with my orig yet but it definitively is not the deplorable 80s remix...

If in fact it is remixed , the differences are so subtle that they are virtually un-noticeable without intense scrutiny...

Overall it is a worthy addition

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2019
    warewolf95 likes this.
  6. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Pere Ubu 20 Years in a Montana Missile Silo

First impression is it's way better than I expected although I only have a superficial idea of it as of yet.

samthesham and warewolf95 like this.
  7. samthesham

It's the hardest the Ubus have ever rocked , on a complete outting...

Yes it is a killer album , in a word "TYIAMMS just fn rocks ! "

My favorite since their magnificent 1990s - early 2000s run of music (both together & DT solo)

bzfgt likes this.
  8. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

I've been arguing that Dave is better than Sammy in a Van Halen thread. This discussion erupts in a Van Halen thread about every six months. Internet! Fun! Somebody Get Me A Doctor, indeed.

I've been listening to my four and five star playlist in iTunes that is 600+ songs. Last ten or so songs played:
    [​IMG]

9. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

10. wavethatflag

Did you see the "Do you have to be stoned to like Pink Floyd" thread?

warewolf95 and Erik B. like this.
  11. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

I did not.

warewolf95 likes this.
  12. bzfgt

Oh yeah, Sam, I actually forgot it was you that made me think to listen to it but now that I see you again I'm reminded....cool, yeah it seems pretty great so far.

warewolf95 and samthesham like this.
  13. bzfgt

There are actually people who say Sammy is better? I mean, I don't like either of them that much but I can't imagine anyone choosing Van Hagar over the real thing...

Mr Bassie, warewolf95 and Crispy Rob like this.
  14. bzfgt

My answer: no, but you should be

15. wavethatflag

Probably just as well.

warewolf95 and Erik B. like this.
  16. wavethatflag

I try to be open-minded, but on that one issue, I'm not going to budge. Van Hagar was a creative disaster. It was just as bad or worse than Peter Wolf leaving J. Geils, but at least that band had the sense to close shop after one Wolf-less album. Or maybe sales dictated that. Unfortunately, enough people kept buying crappy Van Hagar albums.

warewolf95 and bzfgt like this.
  17. bzfgt

Al Simones Corridor of Dreams

I don't remember what put me on to this, but it is pretty cool. Although it's a lot different in ways, it reminds me of Sun Dial insofar as it's neo-psych from the early 90s that I didn't know existed until relatively recently...a little heavier but also more shambolic than Sun Dial I think. A little almost like a Bevis Frond-ier trip I think to the extent is it seems like one dude's trip and there is lots of fuzzy guitar....

warewolf95 likes this.
  18. bzfgt

They were awful, just soul-less FM fodder that radio listeners nevertheless seemed to endure more than to enjoy. Real VH was at least heavy, with Hagar they were like Madonna with heavier guitar, and not even much heavier at that point.

wavethatflag and KeninDC like this.
  19. bzfgt

See that should make you want to get stoned, rather than vice versa....

Erik B. likes this.
  20. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

Is it gone ?

21. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Streamed both Dillard & Clark albums on the drive up to Guerneville for the weekend (hey, a version of Rocky Top that predated the Phish cover by a couple decades). I clearly need to pick up physical copies. I can’t believe it’s taken me until the last two years or so to go into the excellent Gene Clark rabbit hole.

22. bzfgt

The first one is decisively better, but the second one has two of my favorite Clark songs--the title track and "Polly."

To me the first one starts with the three worst songs on it, and then is fantastic the rest of the way through...that has to be a rare phenomenon. Also you need the bonus track "Why Not Your Baby"

Crispy Rob likes this.
  23. samthesham

Oh right on ! Yeah it just gets better with every spin...those guitar sounds seem to be coming out of the wood work after repeated plays...

IMO its a Ubu record that sounds better the louder you set the volume...

Enjoy my friend !

bzfgt likes this.
  24. wavethatflag

Some of Sammy’s lyrics are beyond stupid. I bought the first album with him and didn’t like it at all, and only know subsequent songs from MTV. But in the coarse of the thread I’ve been reading some of his lyrics, and they’re awful. Dave at least had a sense of humor and told stories that were relatable.

Plus Ed’s playing with Sammy was restrained. He wasn’t lighting up the fretboard anymore. At best they played passable ballads, and at worst they were like Journey’s maladjusted brother.

That breakup was a bad scene. I rewatched the interviews a couple years ago and both camps look butthurt as they blame each other.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
    Erik B. and bzfgt like this.
  25. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Polly is a great song! There are many versions out there. Robert Plant's and Alison Krauss for one.
    Also, 90s band Velvet Crush does a fine take of Why not your baby

Crispy Rob and bzfgt like this.