Unanswered Beatles questions ?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George Blair, Feb 23, 2018.

1. buzzzx

buzzzx Forum Resident

RotoSound, because they hold the group together.

2. RoryMcBride

RoryMcBride Forum Resident

Jimmy Nicol "It's getting better"
    Jimmy Scott "Ob-la-di, Ob-la-da"

3. RoryMcBride

Mostly lying down (though sometimes sitting) with their eyes closed.

4. illwind64

illwind64 Forum Resident

"Here comes the sun because you never give me your money" Intentional?

5. pc-Ray

pc-Ray Forum Resident

Do the surviving Beatles still like jelly babies?

6. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

They must have stopped using them in late 1969/ early 1970 then.

jmxw likes this.
  7. ODIrony

ODIrony Forum Resident

John said he wrote It's Only Love with Dusty Springfield in mind. I don't know if it was actually offered to her and rejected or if he hoped she'd hear it and cover it. (It does have a certain similarity to You Don't Have to Say You Love Me.)

8. Mooserfan

Mooserfan Forum Resident

Serious one: Did Jane’s mother really trash the only written evidence of many early Lennon-McCartney compositions, and if so how many? Have most gotten documented elsewhere, say on Let It Be sessions? (My apologies if posted earlier)

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  9. RoryMcBride

How was the guitar solo in "All You Need Is Love" supposed to go?

DK Pete, MitchLT and Bill Larson like this.
  10. mercuryvenus

mercuryvenus Forum Resident

While they were all skinny, I think he might have actually been the heaviest, from a BMI standpoint (at least according to the heights/weights they reported to some fan magazine in 1964).

The burning question, though, really is: If George was the skinniest, why was he also seemingly always the one eating food and preoccupied by it? Cases in point: the Yoko stole my biscuit episode, and the time when he went up to Princess Margaret and told her to basically GTFO from an event because no one was allowed to eat until she left and he was hungry.

MPLRecords likes this.
  11. Bill Larson

Bill Larson Forum Resident

“As a bird on wing,” no “the.”

ODIrony likes this.
  12. mercuryvenus

mercuryvenus Forum Resident

Christmas time is here again is from the 1967 Christmas message, when they did that awesomely weird radio play that sounds like Monty Python, even though it was 2 years before Flying Circus premiered.

For everyone's listening enjoyment:

13. Bill Larson

Bill Larson Forum Resident

I heard a Beatles impersonator band about 25 years ago. They did the song in their Sgt. Pepper’s outfits. The George guy rendered the extant, unaborted portion of the solo note-for-note, and then “finished” it very nicely, with a very smug expression on his George face.

BeatlesBop and RoryMcBride like this.
  14. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

He should have been. His powerhouse drumming in the early days, and especially in Hamburg, was a big factor in separating The Beatles from the other 1000 bands in Liverpool. It has been said that from blocks away, you could hear the boom boom of Petes bass drum, which was unheard of at that time, when most drummers were playing R&B style drums (like on What I'd Say).

15. Jackstar74

Jackstar74 Forum Resident

Arthur...

fr in sc likes this.
  16. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Oh yes. Many. Mostly trivial stuff concerning uncertainties about certain things that were done in the studio and who actually did them. Nothing that'll stop the world from turning one way or the other.....but "important" to the obsessives.

17. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Point well taken but that that would unavoidably open the door for all other bands to be inducted; they'd all have to consider including people that were a part of the band on the way to that elusive record contract but didn't make it to that point. But I would like to point out one thing; the constant "boom boom" as you refer to it is actually the easiest and safest way to keep time. When the foot never deviates from that constant, repetitive pounding rhythm on the bass drum, it makes it much easier to keep a safe ongoing "wash' with the ride cymbals and not lose track of what you're doing on the snare. This makes me wonder if Pete's famous "Liverpool Atom Beat" was more a result of not being able to do anything more varied as opposed to anything else. Just sayin'.....

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
    NumberEight likes this.
  18. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Good one. According to Emerick, George flubbed the solo at the end and that last note we hear is actually the atart of the "mistake" which was edited out of the final record.

RoryMcBride likes this.
  19. MGSeveral

MGSeveral Augm

I always thought that was it.

I wish they had put the full version on Anth, the one where someone attempts to play the Marseille on guitar, really badly, right at the end.

RoryMcBride and MitchLT like this.
  20. Maltman

Maltman Somewhat grumpy, but harmless old man.

That's because you're a Scouser.

21. xilef regnu

xilef regnu Senior Member

Do zoos frequently name their walruses "Paul"?

[​IMG]

22. stereoguy

DK, I've been a drummer for 46 years. While, yes its true, its not difficult to keep the bass drum going, the thing to remember is that Pete came up with the "Atom Beat". Drummers in his era were not using the bass drum this way, they were either playing R&B style, OR the Shadows Style, because that was "the sound" in 1961. So he deserves a lot of Credit for being unique.

23. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Why is there no evidence of "powerhouse" drumming on any of the 29 recordings of Best playing with the Beatles? Regardless of what some people who were in the audience might remember, the recorded evidence supports the notion that he was a mediocre and not particularly powerful drummer.

And regardless of his skills, it would be unprecedented to induct someone who made no contributions at all to the band's recorded output. The HOF is frustratingly inconsistent about which members of bands they choose to induct, but one rule they've always followed is to only induct members who actually appear on a band's records. Inducting early, pre-recording-contract members makes no sense. The desire to see Best inducted seems like another way to try to elevate the Beatles above other groups, same as the movement to induct each of them as solo artists... "They're so great they should be inducted twice!" "They're so great that peripheral figures in their history should be inducted too!"

Mr__Hump, Lost In The Flood and Onder like this.
  24. stereoguy

>>>>>>Because in 1961 no recording engineer could deal with a Bass Drum played as loud as Pete played it. They screamed that he was breaking their expensive microphones and forced him to play differently, with more emphasis on the snare and cymbals ala Brian Bennett of The Shadows.

>>>>>>That doesnt matter a hoot in hell to me. Pete Best had a pivotal role in shaping the early sound of the most famous rock group in History. Thats enough of a reason right there.

>>>>>>There is a book called "Drummed Out" in which they interview dozens of Merseybeat musicans who were part of that 60s scene and get their opinions of Petes playing and his influence on The Beatles sound. The reviews are like 99% good. Those are the guys who would know.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
  25. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

They were though to have been thrown away, but were found some time ago, I think the late 1980s.

Lost In The Flood and Mooserfan like this.