Unanswered Beatles questions ?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George Blair, Feb 23, 2018.

1. Exotiki

Exotiki The Future Ain’t What It Use To Be

PPM and WTB sound pretty good as fold downs although a little reverb heavy

MitchLT likes this.
  2. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

Why do you spend longer typing questions here about The Beatles than actually listening to them?

3. MitchLT

MitchLT Two for the show

Isn’t both possible?

4. Exotiki

oh trust me, i spend far more time listening, I'm actually listening to Help 65' mix right now

andrewskyDE, Vic_1957 and MitchLT like this.
  5. MitchLT

MitchLT Two for the show

Is anyone quite so committed to recreating the Beatles sound than The Analogues?

Ephi82, seacliffe301, buzzzx and 2 others like this.
  6. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

Post Love Me Do, it was policy not to trash Beatles tapes. She Loves You fell through the cracks [ie, got lost] somehow...

Lewisboogie and MPLRecords like this.
  7. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Well, were these sessions tapes wiped or stolen?

8. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

That policy seems to have come later, there are some missing session tapes from the first two LPs, it wasn't until 1964 that they began to save everything.

Lewisboogie and andrewskyDE like this.
  9. evilpants

evilpants Forum Resident

It's not necessarily as cynical as it seems. Often when people perform things live, something might go wrong and people will like it - it'll then be repeated.

It often happens with stage shows - I've seen plays where someone misses their cue and you think it's awful and everyone laughs at the mistake, but you find out that it did happen once, and the laughter was so great for the show that they decided to keep it in, so what you're seeing is now part of the show.

Lost In The Flood and MitchLT like this.
  10. maxwell2323

maxwell2323 Forum Resident

Who was the worst drummer in the Beatles? :)

11. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

John or George. There's not a lot where they've drummed, though, making it hard to tell.
    Ringo is certainly the best and I think it'd be hard to argue for putting Paul under #2 when his drumming was readily accepted by the general public and was complimented by Keith Moon.

12. tables_turning

tables_turning In The Groove

Very little, if any at all -- the bulk of the studio work done at Lansdowne on their early hits was handled by Bobby Graham. According to interviews with the participants, Clark requested that Graham keep the recorded parts simple to allow Clark to play them convincingly during live appearances.

DK Pete likes this.
  13. tables_turning

Early on, they were likely using Pyramid strings from Germany (which were also used by Hofner on their new instruments). Pyramids were imported into the UK under the brand names Hofner and also Selmer. John is said to have strung his Gibson 160E acoustic jumbo with flatwound Pyramid strings for recording and performing.

14. pokemaniacjunk

pokemaniacjunk Forum Resident

so now the question is can George drum better than this

15. Bill Larson

Bill Larson Forum Resident

That sounds about the same as the drumming on most of the LIB reels.

pokemaniacjunk likes this.
  16. BigMilkJug

BigMilkJug Well-Known Member

Could the Beatles have written a harmony so great that even they themselves could not sing?

Babysquid and buzzzx like this.
  17. buzzzx

buzzzx Forum Resident

Possibly yes: "That Means A Lot" which they never finished recording because they couldn't sing it properly. Lennon: "This song is a ballad which Paul and I wrote for the film (Help!) but we found we just couldn't sing it. In fact, we made a hash of it, so we thought we'd better give it to someone who could do it well."

nikh33 and BigMilkJug like this.
  18. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

This was a sad revelation for me. The most powerful and unique sounding thing about the earliest (and best) DC5 records was the drumming. Clark has really turned out to be..well...not a very cool guy at all on a number of levels.

nikh33 and ODIrony like this.
  19. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

They should have given it to Tom Jones.

buzzzx likes this.
  20. phillyal1

phillyal1 Forum Resident

What 's wrong with this ...

21. Exotiki

He is

22. tables_turning

The drum sound was the product of a combination of close miking and compression -- no surprise really, as Adrian Kerridge, who engineered these early sessions, had been mentored by none other than Joe Meek. Agree with you also that DC suffers from some distinct character flaws.

ODIrony and DK Pete like this.
  23. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

...another revelation, albeit an expected one at this point...I *had* read that Clark was the "producer" of those great records hence, supposedly giving him credit for the sound of the drums..I had my doubts about that as well.

24. tables_turning

As long as we're at it: DC5 vocalist Mike Smith composed or co-composed several early and mid period songs, but either didn't receive credit, or royalties, or both. DC filled his own pockets with Smith's songwriting proceeds for quite some time. Not sure if it was all sorted out, ever.

25. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Dave Clark is basically the answer to the question "What if Allen Klein had been a member of the Stones instead of just managing them?" Or another way to look at it is that Clark blended Pete-Best-level musical talent with Klein-level mangerial acumen.