Unanswered Beatles questions ?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George Blair, Feb 23, 2018.

1. 2141

2141 Forum Resident

Watch out, that's exactly how false rumors get started!

Haristar likes this.
  2. You forgot to add
    Magical Mystery Tour
    Fool On The Hill
    Penny Lane
    All of,which fit the British psychedelic tradition.

I don’t consider Hey Bulldog, octopus Garden, Something, Got To Get You Into My Life to be psychedelic at all.

baitzahn, ODIrony, PhoffiFozz and 2 others like this.
  3. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

It's worth noting that Yellow Submarine was a fairly equal cowrote between them.

4. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth

That's Paul for ya!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

;)

Dodoz likes this.
  5. Yeah John could be a real ****. Never went in for that “Saint John” B.S. he got better as a human being and then would do stupid crap some of it more reprehensible than others. In other words, he could be a swine too.

6. I think it was more alcohol.

7. Loup

Loup Ancient Wool Unraveller

Does Jimmie Nicol still have the watch Brian gave him?

wayneklein and Dodoz like this.
  8. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

Don't forget the televised interview where he seemed to be hiding his crotch all the time :D

That said, Paul's affairs have been kept rather secret, haven't they? (Groupies aside). I've only read about a couple...

2141, Haristar and wayneklein like this.
  9. 2141

2141 Forum Resident

Clearly a lot of the guys who were around Patti back then had an eye for her. And who could blame them! George was a lucky guy, at least for a while. :agree:

10. RudolphS

RudolphS Forum Resident

You forgot Within You Without You.
    And 'Rain'.
    And Love You To.
    Norwegian Wood (one of the first pop/rock songs with sitar).
    The first versions of Across The Universe are rather psychedelic as well.

On a different note, Paul's Penny Lane, Getting Better, Magical Mystery Tour or Hello Goodbye are at best 'pych-lite'. Baby You're A Rich Man and Fixing A Hole on the other hand qualify, imo.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
    ODIrony, PhoffiFozz and MitchLT like this.
  11. Avenging Robot

Avenging Robot Senior Member

Apparently Apple passed up Fleetwood Mac and Crosby, Stills and Nash. Had they been signed to Apple would that have hobbled their careers? If not, would this just mean that Apple had more money to ultimately waste or would this have propelled Apple into a much bigger force to be reckoned with?

MitchLT likes this.
  12. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

Apple never had them, they were recorded for and belonged to United Artists in 1969/70 and it was from UA at Twickenham that they were 'liberated'.

goer and PhoffiFozz like this.
  13. sekaer

sekaer Forum Resident

I know so little about him. I remember reading somewhere that in 1967 he had like a big Scarface-sized bowl of coke in his house when you walked in.

14. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

...but as I said earlier, that sonic quality-especialy in terms of John's songs-had a lot to do with Paul.

PhoffiFozz and lavalamp3 like this.
  15. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

...goo
    Good call-out on Yellow Submarine.

16. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

To my ears, Paperback Writer b/w Rain is the very first psychedelic 45. rain of course is far more obvious for a number of reasons but in terms of texture , atmosphere (both, terms I know I use a lot)arrangement and circular lyrical content, PW fits the bill as well.

lou, Monasmee and 2141 like this.
  17. 2141

2141 Forum Resident

I always thought that wild (very cool!) echo effect they used on the background vocals of Paperback Writer was quite psychedelic indeed! That's what nudges that song into the psychedelic category to my ears. :agree:

18. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

No question, a part of it! That was far more pronounced on the mono mix, right? I have a hard time keeping these details in order:shrug:

19. 2141

2141 Forum Resident

Yes, exactly right. The mono version has much more of that great echo effect. It's also the far superior of the 2 mixes, imo. I almost can't imagine someone preferring the stereo to the mono mix of that particular song. The mono is sooo much stronger. :agree:

nikh33, NumberEight and Zongadude like this.
  20. Zongadude

Zongadude Music is the best

I have the original UK Parlopone mono 45 from 1966.
    When you listen to it, the opening accapella voices are like a wonderful fragile crystal thing... and then suddenly the drums and that fierce guitar riff makes it explode into a thousand pieces ! That's the impression the mono mix sound makes.

21. 2141

2141 Forum Resident

That beautiful mono mix of the song really showcases what a powerful BAND The Beatles actually were. That song rocks really hard, but as you said, it also has a sort of fragile crystal (psychedelic!) element to it as well. :agree:

Zongadude likes this.
  22. lordcat

lordcat Forum Resident

Don't wanna be cruel but with all the bevvy of beauties in swinging London in 1968 I don't think they would really have reason to go near Yoko Ono....only a Lennon who had flipped his lid on drugs would...

stevenson66g likes this.
  23. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Too late

oboogie and PhoffiFozz like this.
  24. lordcat

lordcat Forum Resident

I'd be interested in Yoko in 68 to be honest, but you know..

petem1966 likes this.
  25. peteham

peteham Senior Member

I thought that was a dish of acid.

sekaer likes this.