"Unbelievable" on Netflix

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Bachtoven, Sep 18, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident Thread Starter

Anyone watching this? It's based on a true story of a teenage girl who claims she was raped then recants the allegation. Soon, additional and very similar attacks occur. Was she raped or not? I'm 3 episodes in and it's very good. A bit of a slow-burn police procedural, but the acting is good and seems quite realistic.

[​IMG]

forthlin likes this.
  2. x2zero

x2zero Forum Resident

I thought the first episode was a bit of a tough watch given the subject matter, but I’m glad I stuck with it, it really got going with the second episode which ended with the introduction of the Toni Collette character, who I hadn’t known was in the show. I’m also three episodes in, very good so far.

3. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

As well, I'm three episodes in and I think it is fabulous. I cannot get enough of Merritt
    Wever - she is amazing.

EricSwan, sberger and johnod like this.
  4. socorro

socorro Forum Resident

I thought it was really good. Superb acting all around.

At least a couple of episodes were written by Michael Chabon, one of the greatest living authors on the planet.

5. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Started it last night, then fell asleep halfway through. Plan to try again tonight.

6. gothictrade

gothictrade Well-Known Member

I'm gonna give it a go tonight!

7. myles

myles Argyle, before you ask ....

It's really good, if that's a suitable descriptive term. 6 episodes in and it's real drama now.

8. AveryKG

AveryKG Sultan of snacks

Yes, I'm enjoying this immensely.

You can really feel for the girl who recants her allegation and just how she is effed around by seemingly well intentioned adults who think they know best.

Just watched episode 7 (the penultimate one). Mrs K-G was nodding off towards the end, so I'm going to have to wait until tomorrow until seeing the last one.

9. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

Watched the whole thing in two nights and thought it was really good. Great script and great actors. The story of the raped girl is heartbreaking to watch.

10. Linus

Linus Senior Member

Both Mrs Linus and myself binge watched this over 3 nights. We were captivated. Given the subject matter, “enjoyed” seems inappropriate, but we enthralled. Strong female leads drove the story home. Recommended.

11. BLUESJAZZMAN

BLUESJAZZMAN I Love Blues, Jazz, Rock, My Son & Honest People

Just finished the series. Thought it was excellent!!

12. tman53

tman53 Vinyl is an Addiction

Binged the entire series last weekend. Well done given the subject. And, how can you not love Merritt Wever.

sberger and Myke like this.
  13. Macman

Macman Senior Member

I'm three episodes in and it's very good. I enjoy anything with Toni Collette in it. Another thing I appreciate about this series is that no one looks like a supermodel. Just ordinary, normal-looking people. It's kind of refreshing.

14. This show is ****ing wackadoodle. I'm two episodes in and I have no idea where this is heading. It has such a strange vibe for what might seem to be a straight plot, but isn't. Or is it?

I don't know what it feels like. Perhaps it's the topic that feels so completely unfamiliar that it draws you in.

15. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

I watched the first 3 episodes last night and my reaction at this point is "meh". This show seems to plod along and never make much progress. At this point I am debating on whether to continue watching.

The Pinhead likes this.
  16. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

It's worth watching to the finish. Remember, this is based on a true story.

bababooey likes this.
  17. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

I saw the first episode and I could see how people think its slow, but I really enjoyed it. Looking forward to the other episodes.

18. The first two episodes were cool. Episodes 3 & 4, however, we're bordering on Lifetime Channel material. There's nothing wrong with that type of programming; I'm simply detecting a male-bashing theme that may or my not play out in later episodes. Man, Detective #1 tears into Morris like he's the symbol of all what's wrong with the male world today.

Notice both women detectives have these loving husbands, full of knowing glints in their eyes, almost clones of each other, making supper and taking care of house chores. I mean, that's super cool that they do that. I do that stuff around the house, too, and was always right there with my children. Still, that their home lives are shown, it seems awfully convenient - perhaps shoehorned - that their dudes are the total opposite of the vile rapist. I'm not sure that the show needed that contrast to show that most guys are good with a very few bad seeds in the bunch. Then we add in her the first rape victim's knowing boyfriend (a mixed-race relationship of course), and it become a heavy weight around the show's neck. Too on the nose.

I have to finish the show, though. I'm too invested, wanting to find out what happens next.

It's not bad. They just made it so easy to tear apart.

Scott222C and Gary7704 like this.
  19. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident Thread Starter

I finished it last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. No, the detectives didn't leap out of flying helicopters in pursuit of a suspect or anything like that, but I liked the quietly methodical approach to the investigations. Apparently the writer didn't stray far from the true story and over-dramatize anything. The entire show had an air of naturalness and reality that was a refreshing change from the glitzy network crime shows.

20. halfjapanese

halfjapanese Gifs moider!

I fully agree and was engaged by terrific acting.

socorro likes this.
  21. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

Kaitlyn Dever has come a looooong way from "Last Man Standing".

bababooey likes this.
  22. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

Just wanted to say I finished it tonight and it really was terrific. Best thing I've watched this year.

Macman, Gary7704 and Bachtoven like this.
  23. Martinn

Martinn Forum Resident

Started it last weekend, in episode 5 now, I like it.

24. Macman

Macman Senior Member

The best thing I've seen in a while. The acting was so good without being flashy and overwrought.

25. windfall

windfall Senior Member

Superb series. Great acting, writing, incredible emotional arc, found the ending extremely moving.

EricSwan and Willowman like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.