Uncut and Mojo cds

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by averica, Jan 20, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

Some of the Mojo CDs are among my favorite CDs ever:

In My Room (Brian Wilson-influenced songs) 2007

The Score (Movie soundtrack songs) 2002

Change The Beat (2015)

The Dreamers (2014)

George Harrison tribute (2011)

Beatlemania! (2005) - covers of Beatles songs across two CDs (a red and a blue edition)

The New Order Power, Lies, Corruption tribute (2012)
    It's a Wonderfull Life (2014)

2. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Mojo have done some excellent comps, like the Krautrock one, and several Stax and Motown editions and some deep funk comps.
    Uncut's cds have always been inferior. Usually it's a copyright-expired cd of oldies if they have an article on an oldies act like Zepellin. Fine if it leads someone to discover Little Richard or Muddy etc., but usually I already have those tracks multiple times.
    Or it's a comp of new music, which I will listen to sometimes but always come away disappointed.
    They could move to playlists as far as I'm concerned.

3. averica

averica infinite rider on the big dogma Thread Starter

i agree...of the 43000 songs i have on ipods,only about 10 of them were downloaded..everything else is from my personal collection

Lewisboogie and MoonPanda like this.
  4. classicrocker

classicrocker Life is good!

Classic Rock magazine also had free samplers. I used to subscribe so have a bunch. Some good music but mostly forgettable.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
    siveld likes this.
  5. Fortysomething

Fortysomething Forum Resident

Usually a few good tracks, especially on the Mojo ones.

6. 9la

9la Forum Resident

For me, the only such CD that was a keeper was this early one, which came in a standard jewel case:

Various - Acid Daze

It had some rare tracks, and most of the tracks were definitely worth having. AllMusic.com used to have sound samples, but they were eliminated to save a fraction of a cent apparently.

Dave S, Sytze and kevywevy like this.
  7. dbeamer407

dbeamer407 Forum Resident

Thanks so much to the forum members that have offered to help with my collection! I am about to send PM's with a list of my missing volumes. That being said, in general I would be glad to pay for shipping anyone's sets that includes even a handful of my missing volumes - I know it can be a lot to sort through them all.

8. bvb1123

bvb1123 Rock and Roll Martian

I, too, have a bunch of old Mojo and Uncut CDs. If you like, I'll check my collection for you too. Sorry for the late reply, just read this thread.

9. Malinky

Malinky Almost a Gentleman.

This is one of the very best, featuring some HEAVY Funk.
    I discovered the amazing Betty Davis through this CD, her track `If I`m in Luck I Might Get Picked Up", makes Tina Turner sound as smooth as Celine Dion.

[​IMG]

10. Wild Frank

Wild Frank Forum Resident

No so much recently but I remember Uncut American CD that pretty much shaped my listening for a decade. It had an illustration of The Band on the front and included (bands in bold became my all time favourites) :

1. Mercury Rev - Opus 40
    2. Drive-by Truckers - Danko/Manuel
    3. Little Feat - Rag Mama Rag
    4. Brinsley Schwarz - Silver Pistol
    5. Wilco - Theologians
    6. Will Johnson - Just to know what you've been dreaming
    7. Grandaddy - Lost on yer merry way

8. Ray LaMontagne - Narrow Mistake
    9. Corey Harris - Frankie Doris
    10. The Gourds - Dying of the pines
    11. Procol Harum - The Devil came from Kansas
    12. Ben Weaver - Old Mule
    13. Marc Carroll - No time at all
    14. Sparklehorse - Painbirds
    15. Sufjan Stevens - For the widows in Paradise, for the fatherless in Ypsilanti
    16. The Band - King Harvest (Has surely come)

11. dbeamer407

dbeamer407 Forum Resident

Across The Great Divide
    Various - Across The Great Divide (Music Inspired By The Band)
    That one was a pretty good listen, Opus 40 is great kick-off track.

Lewisboogie and Wild Frank like this.
  12. Dellarigg

Dellarigg Forum Resident

I've still got an Uncut CD from about 2002: The Devil's Music, compiled by Keith Richards. Excellent primer for the blues, with some soul, rock n' roll, and reggae thrown in.

13. averica

averica infinite rider on the big dogma Thread Starter

actually listening to Mojo best of 2018 now. great cut from the Costello album.decent tracks from Cat Power,Ry Cooder,and Spiritualized.and some interesting artists i was unaware of (Kamasi Washington and Maisha)

Robert Thomas, Sander and kevywevy like this.
  14. I quite enjoy the CD's included with PROG magazine. It's led me to prog groups I'd otherwise never know about, Big Big Train being the latest.

15. Tonmeister

Tonmeister Forum Resident

I have been enjoying this one too... bought the magazine for the Kate Bush feature which wasn’t that great in the end, but some good tracks on the CD.

Robert Thomas likes this.
  16. BroJB

BroJB Large Marge sent me.

Mojo's Soul Riot comp from back in 2001 is one of my absolute favorite soul collections. It's superb:

Various - Soul Riot

MikeP5877 likes this.
  17. Lewisboogie

Lewisboogie “Bob Robert”

:agree: That’s the one. My experience is similar to yours...good grief those first 2 songs.:faint:

Overall, I discovered many bands through these discs — the National, Arcade Fire, and many more. (I was really out of it.) The early part of this century was amazing for these collections.

That was my first, I think.

Dellarigg likes this.
  18. MGSeveral

MGSeveral Augm

You know, we used to wait years for a cover mounted flexi disc back in the day, eventually it got to six months between twenty-minute cassette comps.

Select magazine used to do some really great and useful cassettes, 60 minutes or so, but then they went bust or got closed down or whatever.

19. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

I bought every issue of Select, at the time it was competing with Q and Vox mags, Iirc just before MOJO hit the shelves, so at the time a crowded market for monthlies aimed at the same demographic.

20. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

I would like that so I can get it with my digital copies of Uncut,Q & Mojo.

21. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

Uncut magazine costs AUD$18.50 here, for that money I could go to the CD store and buy two officially-released compilations or a latest-release CD. So the Mag+disk needs to be good for me to buy it.

I will pass on the compilation CDs of new music, as most new music does not engage me.

There have been some good compilations. The Tom Waits compiled was very good, and included an otherwise not released recording from his personal 78 collection. The Roots of Dylan and similar compilations can also be good.

22. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

I recently stopped buying Classic Rock because they went no CD digital only, I will do the same if MOJO goes that way, UNCUT doesn't matter because I have stopped buying it anyway.

Frederick Mars likes this.
  23. Same for me. Uncut seems to get thinner each month? The Mojo CDs tended to be the best. Mojo is now overpriced which means I have stopped automatically buying it every month.

24. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

My MOJO subscription is very close to being cancelled, I barley read it these days so it is a bit of a waste of money.

Frederick Mars likes this.
  25. Yeah - a shame. It used to be my monthly must read.

Deek57 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.