Uncut Magazine - 200 Greatest Albums Of All Time

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ParanoidAndroid, Dec 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. razerx

razerx Forum Resident

I have 83 and think there are much better records not on the list

2. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

It is funny how every one of theses lists finds Johnny Cash and Miles Davis the only jazz/country artists worth mentioning. Very predictable and safe. A couple of albums for narrow-minded rock fans to dip their toe in if they feel adventurous. "(Genre) For Dummies".

Not a terrible list. I like most of these albums. I own about half.

Inclusion of Cash American IV is an unusual choice. I really like the album, and rank it pretty high myself, but surely there are better albums in the Johnny Cash catalog to choose before it, such as 'American Recordings' (I). But this is a mild complaint.

I disagree with Radiohead 'In Rainbows' ahead of their other albums. It's a good record, but I think "The Bends", "Ok Computer" and "Kid A" are better examples of Radiohead at their peak.

'Abbey Road' not better than the two Rolling Stones albums a few slots beneath it, IMO. All you need is ears.

Like the high placement for Bowie's "Low". It's in my top 5 of all time easily.

When will liking 'Sgt Pepper' become cool again and it can return to the top 10?

I'd place "Dark Side of the Moon" a bit higher, personally.

I agree about "Layla" getting snubbed.

What? No KISS "Alive!"?

What? No Genesis "Foxtrot"?

What? No Fiona Apple "When The Pawn...."?

What? No "Master of Puppets"?

What? No "Powerslave"?

What? No Frank Sinatra?!?

picassoson, Carlox, Mylene and 4 others like this.
  3. majoyenrac

majoyenrac Forum Resident

I own 127 of them (the full top 12)

I've owned another dozen or so proper albums in the past...

I also own at least a dozen more with almost all the tracks from boxed sets

Ultimately first take is its a good, if unsurprisingly safe list...

I have to look more for what's missing, some I think should be there though:
    Waterboys-Fishermans Blues
    Waterboys - This is the Sea
    PJ Harvey - Stories (didn't recall seeing this)
    Did U2's Joshua Tree really miss this list???
    Sinead O'Connor could have had both Cobra and Do Not Want on here
    While not a surprise Mickey Newbury's Looks Like Rain is a spectacular album that should be here
    Flaming Lips Clouds Taste Metallic (and while it wouldn't make mine I'm shocked Yoshimi wasn't here as Uncut said it was the best album in their then 7-8 yr existence....
    Tom Waits-Rain Dogs
    While not surprises either Sonic Youth--washing machine and Talking Heads Fear of Music are my picks for these bands
    Maybe I missed it but did Nevermind really miss the cut?? I prefer in utero but Nevermind needs to be there

What about PJ Ten, smashing pumpkins???

Anyway the only ones I'd never heard of where Orange Juice and the Associates

Vinyl_Blues, beatlematt and Carlox like this.
  4. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

NO ZAPPA?!?!?! WTF?

5. Boozyuzi

Boozyuzi Forum Resident

I'm listening to Automatic For The People at the moment... its not there ?

U2 may not be flavour of the month/year but The Joshua Tree is very good album

Brother Maynard and majoyenrac like this.
  6. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

Bazinga! (I have 70).

Brother Maynard likes this.
  7. somnar

somnar Senior Member

Of course fun to talk about on a message board, but a ridiculous list.

rodentdog likes this.
  8. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

Maybe the worst list of this type I've seen. And I've seen a lot of them.

saturdayboy, Boff1 and Poxy Bowsy like this.
  9. rediffusion

rediffusion Forum Resident

Surely the Beach Boys - Smile should be in there – it has been officially released!

10. dennis the menace

dennis the menace Forum Veteran

Hall of Fame is a bad joke anyway...

rediffusion likes this.
  11. ParanoidAndroid

ParanoidAndroid Forum Resident Thread Starter

A lot of people criticising the list, probably because it doesn't reflect what they think are the best albums. That's fine but I think calling it 'ridiculous' and 'the worst list of this type' is going a bit too far. What exactly is ridiculous about it?
    My point was perhaps these lists' main purpose is to get younger listeners to branch out and discover great music they probably wouldn't have already listened to. Just like the NME list did for me in the 90s.

mschrist and Vinyl_Blues like this.
  12. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

I've seen worse, and it gets more interesting the further down you go, but still this list has its share of limitations, like they all do. I guess I shouldn't be too surprised that there's not really a lick of prog here, but hey, at least they included Can (thrice!). It's interesting to see how far Pepper's stock has fallen in recent years. I like Forever Changes as much as the next guy, but I remain a bit stunned by how well this album places in some of these lists, and yet there was nothing at all from the Doors, unless I missed it. I have 139 of these in total.

13. AveryKG

AveryKG Sultan of snacks

14. Sammy Waslow

Sammy Waslow Just watching the show

Nice to see David Crosby at 64 and John Cale at 99. Two great albums that may not have made such a list twenty (or even ten) years ago.

15. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Meh. It's unfinished. what about "Surfer Girl"?

Say, you're right...no "The Doors". That's pretty lame.

What about The goddamn Zombies???

16. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Magazines like Mojo and Uncut have been championing these two for a while, so I reckon they're critics' favorites.

17. Monosterio

Well, I know for sure I have at least half of the greatest albums ever, yet I have only slightly more than a third of these. So...

;)

ParanoidAndroid likes this.
  18. Freedom Rider

Freedom Rider Senior Member

:agree: Odessey & Oracle should've been in there somewhere.

trueblue, theMess, npc210 and 2 others like this.
  19. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

I have 50 of them. Thought it would be more. Many of them I've never heard of; many left off that should have been included. But it's always this way with any list!

20. razerx

razerx Forum Resident

If it is the best 200 rock albums then sure it is just somebody's opinion. But to include jazz and just list Miles and Coltrane? And Wu Tang, Beastie Boys for rap? Nuts

ramdom, pig bodine and hi_watt like this.
  21. Freedom Rider

Freedom Rider Senior Member

Yeah, every time I see these token jazz artists/albums included in predominantly rock/pop album lists, I can't help but yawn. Aaah c'mon!

22. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

But in reverse order, right?

theMess and Arnold Grove like this.
  23. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

Same old negative comments when anything like this is posted.

It's a feature within Uncut magazine, designed to provide something interesting for Uncut readers, so it's going to be biased towards the types of albums favoured by their key demographic. It would be ridiculous if the list did NOT work in that way.

So rather than getting all upset and throwing toys out of prams because it doesn't feature as many albums of a certain genre/artist/skin tone/gender as you'd like to see, maybe spend a moment thinking about how the magazine industry works and think about how crazy it would be if a list by a magazine like Uncut didn't look like this, with a few surprises thrown in to generate discussion on forums like this.

Also completely agree with an earlier poster who said that he uses lists like this not to validate his own thoughts, but to use as a pointer for potential gaps to fill in one's own collection and knowledge.

24. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

It's all subjective isn't it...but, yes, no Doors, Grateful Dead, Creedence, Cream, Clapton....you might have thought they might have been contenders...

Carlox and Another Steve like this.
  25. Monosterio

Carlox and trumpet sounds like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.