Uncut Magazine - 200 Greatest Albums Of All Time

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ParanoidAndroid, Dec 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Roger Thornhill

Roger Thornhill Senior Member

Back in 1975 Zigzag did an Album of the century which had...

16. If Only I Could Remember My Name - David Crosby

Also, and this is interesting given ZZ's leanings towards West Coast music...

36. Tago Mago - Can

http://www.rocklistmusic.co.uk/zigzag.htm

Sammy Waslow likes this.
  2. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Perhaps a forum pole could be conducted to get a more relevant (to members) list. Getting 200 options in is a problem though.

3. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

Do you know the thread title for that list?

4. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident

No way. The top ten would only be Beatles albums. :tsk:

Durm and Monosterio like this.
  5. Beamish13

Beamish13 Forum Resident

Orange Juice was an inspired choice. It's always the wrong Kate Bush album, and she's never in the top 20!

6. zen

zen Senior Member

A list that essentially avoids a good chunk of music history (and it's many treasures) screams: no credibility.

Paulo Alm and Jackson like this.
  7. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani/Dobrawa Czocher ~ Inner Symphonies

search for "sh forums favorite albums" for all the threads ...

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...countdown-as-voted-by-you-the-results.168602/

Rank - Artist - Album Title (#1's)
    1 - The Beatles - Revolver (9)
    2 - The Beatles - The Beatles [White Album] (8)
    3 - The Beatles - Abbey Road (14)
    4 - The Beatles - Rubber Soul (4)
    5 - The Who - Who's Next
    6 - Pink Floyd - The Dark Side Of The Moon (6)
    7 - The Beatles - Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (3)
    8 - The Beach Boys - Pet Sounds (6)
    9 - The Rolling Stones - Sticky Fingers
    10 - Bob Dylan - Blood On The Tracks (1)

Last edited: Dec 30, 2015
  8. KeninDC

KeninDC Hazy Cosmic Jive

A critically "safe" list (see, e.g., Big Star), but one could do worse than to listen to all 200. I counted 97 that I have on physical media. Another 7 or 8 in download form. And I streamed "Marquee Moon" the other day. Does that count?

As for the jazz inclusions, those are decent picks for the "essential" jazz albums that every rock & roller should own.

9. George P

George P Notable Member

We could make a "one album per artist" rule.

Vinyl_Blues and JohnnyQuest like this.
  10. George P

George P Notable Member

I think 5 0r 10 favorite albums each would me more manageable. Again, with only one album per artist allowed.

11. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident

That's fair. If we were to only choose one Beatles album, which would it be? Tough one!
    There's so many artists and bands that released multiple masterpieces. (Bob Dylan,Prince,David Bowie, Rolling Stones,etc.)

Vinyl_Blues likes this.
  12. George P

George P Notable Member

Even better, knowing that others will do that for me, I'd not choose a Beatles album.

Agreed, but compiling 100 entries from 100s of people would be too much work.

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  13. KariK

KariK Forum Resident

I have 84.

14. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

I think I have 53 of those, so it's a decent list...

Although my number one is probably still The Stooges - Fun House.

And The Damned's Machine Gun Etiquette is a Top-10 for me as well...

15. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

Crap, I didn't do much better with that list than with the Uncut one! :laugh: I give up.

16. PteroDon

PteroDon Forum Resident

Ive got 84 from the list , impressed they included Super Furries & The Congos . Pet Sounds at No1 ? Why the heck not , tis indeed a fine LP.

17. zen

zen Senior Member

Probably a wise move when playing the "list game."
    Example:
    Hendrix's Axis: Bold As Love is good, but has no place on this list when Yes' Close to the Edge, Moody Blues Days of Future Passed, or Deep Purple Machine Heard are MIA.

18. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

I've noticed that too, it's kind of the new Kid A for these kinds of lists...

19. Zach Johnson

Zach Johnson Forum Resident

Shocking list...Some really surprising choices! :rolleyes:

20. It's Felix

It's Felix It's not really me

Van Morrison, Love and the Band are far far far too high. And too many 60s and 70s Dad rockers in there.

21. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani/Dobrawa Czocher ~ Inner Symphonies

Well, if you like to rate albums, the only list that matters is your own. As some others have said, these lists help people find music they would otherwise miss when first starting on their musical journey, but over time they are self-perpetuating because they mostly repeat the same top records over and over again throughout the years, and many of those young people then go on to repeat the same basic lists as their own as they grow older. So many amazing records that are just as great, and just as "important" as these, will forever go unnoticed by future generations. Much more interesting to me (and I think much more valuable to the music world at large) would be a whole series listing the best records that have never been on one of these lists.

Pancat likes this.
  22. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

I read through the list and though, "Wow! Surely the forum won't have a problem with this list as it looks like every artist that is talked about here all day long." Of course I was dead wrong. I have just about every single album on the list btw.

23. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

I have 90 of these and while most of the albums on this list are worthwhile ,there are way too many glaring omissions. It's a "safe" list that ticks all the right choices. It's about the"reputation "of the albums more than the actual quality of the music. In other words, it's lazy.
    As usual, the vastly over-rated, dated and corny Pet Sounds gets the top spot. Right.
    But there aren't enough Elvis Costello albums on the list for starters. What? He's no longer hip enough?
    And how about some once-popular quality albums that have stood the test of time? Albums like Goodbye Yellow Brick Road or Aqualung or Every Picture Tells a Story. In fact, there are no Elton John or Rod Stewart albums on the list. But there's no King Crimson either.

I can't go on. My eyes hurt.

But I would love to hear # 185, David Bowie's lost classic, The Man Who Saved the World.....

24. George P

George P Notable Member

Yes! I was just thinking that! Like a 10 most overlooked albums thread that could be compiled.

25. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

Yes, I agree. In fact they should break it down into many mini-lists--"The 10 Best Albums that Sold Over 10 Million", "The Top Ten Albums that Sold S#1+", " Top Ten Albums That Were Panned When First Released", "Top Ten Albums That Spawned No Singles"....the possibilities are endless and reading the lists would be interesting....

Zeki likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.