Under the Covers Complete (4CD) Susanna Hoffs, Mathew Sweet frm Edsel

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Markarrow, Aug 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paradoxguy

paradoxguy Well-Known Member

I know a long while has elapsed since significant discussion on this set, but I wanted to point out that on Amazon Market Place last week, I ordered the deluxe 3-color vinyl 6-disc set and the 4-disc CD set from ImportCD for $54.99 and $18.99 respectively, plus $3.99 shipping for each one. Today the prices have decreased to $52.37 for the 3-color vinyl set and $16.98 for the 4-disc CD set from the same vendor, with shipping the same at $3.99.

superstar19 likes this.
  2. DanBNash

DanBNash Forum Resident

I know there has been some debate on the sound quality of the set but I love the vinyl package - and it's a good price!

pghmusiclover likes this.
  3. Geof

Geof Forum Resident

Sorry for the delay in responding to this. Not counting Hoffs and Sweet doing background vocals with other artists etc. the actual tracks released previously in one form or another but frustratingly left off of this Not-Quite-Completely Under the Covers set are:

1. Sorry - the Easybeats song which was included as a bonus track on the Australian and Japanese editions of Under the Covers Vol. 1.

2. On the Way Home - the Neil Young-penned Buffalo Springfield track, pressed up as a one-track promo CD single and packaged with Vol. 1 at Tower Records and some indie stores.

3. Got To Get You Into My Life - The Beatles track available on the soundtrack to the Eddie Murphy film Imagine That.

(By the way, I wrote to the mods at the time this thread started, mentioning Matthew Sweet's name was misspelled as "Mathew" in the OP's thread title and asking if they could correct it. Unfortnately, if you do a search for the correctly-spelled "Matthew Sweet" or "Matthew Sweet Susanna Hoffs," this thread doesn't show up in the results. "Sweet Hoffs" or "Susanna Hoffs" both work though.)

Curveboy, music4life and BlueTrane like this.
  4. music4life

music4life Senior Member

Thank you!
    I'm only missing "Sorry". I was beginning to think there was more than what you listed. All these extra tracks for imports, store exclusives, etc. drive me crazy!

5. ShawnX

ShawnX Forum Resident

I grabbed the CD set for this to replace my volume 1 and 2 individuals.

Nice package. Needs more photosof the band. ;)

Maybe I should grad the vinyl.

6. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Just picked up the vinyl set of this - gorgeous!*

I'll admit the sound - even to my battered ears - is pretty thin, but on first listening that gives it sort of an AM Radio charm, even on very FM Radio-type songs (More Than This). I'm sure I'll be more critical on future listenings...

Two questions:
    1. Two of the three mentioned songs omitted from this set are on YouTube. Any idea where the Buffalo Springfield track can be heard?
    2. Why the hell are there no Simon & Garfunkel songs included here? Seems like a no-brainier choice for the 60s set (?).
    I'm only a marginal admirer of either artist, but for some reason this concept clicks with me...

*not gorgeous like Susanna, but...

JP Christian likes this.
  7. superstar19

superstar19 Authentic By Nature

from a previous post:

1. Sorry - the Easybeats song which was included as a bonus track on the Australian and Japanese editions of Under the Covers Vol. 1.

2. On the Way Home - the Neil Young-penned Buffalo Springfield track, pressed up as a one-track promo CD single and packaged with Vol. 1 at Tower Records and some indie stores.

3. Got To Get You Into My Life - The Beatles track available on the soundtrack to the Eddie Murphy film Imagine That.

PhantomStranger likes this.
  8. mrjinks

Thanks, but I was sort of hoping someone might know of a spot where the 2nd track above could be found now - like on youtube, or someone's blog or something. Frustrating to get to hear the other "outtakes" easily, but not that one!

In addition to S&G, I'm kind of surprised Ms. Hoffs didn't do "Downtown" - seems like a perfect fit for her/this set...

superstar19 likes this.
  9. zakyfarms

zakyfarms White cane lying in a gutter in the lane.

Do you have soulseek? I found it there in about 5 seconds.

10. mrjinks

I don't, but I'll look into it - many thanks!
    :wave:

zakyfarms likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.