Under The Dome (tv series)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by agentalbert, Jun 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. His Masters Vice

His Masters Vice W.C. Fields Forever

Well, that's the way it works everywhere else in the world...

In a small confined space, yes you'll eventually suffocate, but in a large enough volume with trees and vegetation then sure, natural processes will be much like they are in the wider world.

I haven't watched the show (it was on last night here). How big is the dome? Are there clouds inside it? I'd more concerned about water than air if the dome isn't big enough to support clouds/rain...

2. GLUDFSSR

GLUDFSSR Senior Member

Ok so i also questioned the oxygen portion of the show, but how is there wind?

3. JimC

JimC Senior Member

I liked those three novels -- just read Pet Semetary with a class this spring. Actually better than I remember. I don't think any of the three are at the level of The Dead Zone, The Shining, etc. but they're OK. I'm with you on Under the Dome, Cell, and Tommyknockers -- many of the ensemble novels with a town gone mad are pedestrian.

I think he remade his legacy and hit his stride with the Dark Tower series and various satellite novels. Also, the recent Joyland is quite good.

4. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Except for the dopey explanation and resolution of the dome, I thought "Under the Dome" was one of King's better novels of recent years. Whatever his faults, he's always good at exploring the potential consequences of an impossible situation believably.

But the TV version was just a typically artless, generically directed and acted CBS production. I don't know why King is satisfied with these bland adaptations.

Keim and JimC like this.
  5. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

How is there wind? They filmed in Vancouver.

Scott222C, audiomixer and JimC like this.
  6. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member Thread Starter

Good enough pilot to keep me interested for now. I'm looking forward to next week.

That might not be a huge spoiler, but I would have preferred not to know that. I know its hard to discuss without giving things away, if you're familiar with the source material.

rburly, tcj and Aggie87 like this.
  7. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Loved The Stand, loved Dead Zone, loved It, loved The Shining, loved Salem's Lot, really loved Dark Tower. When he's at his peak form, King is one of the greatest living writers (especially for horror and fantasy) in the world, IMHO.

I lied: they're going to dig down five feet and just crawl out of the sphere, just like Maggie Simpson with her sandbox. And then the next 10 episodes will be a test pattern. :eek:

I think it was pretty obvious that since all the electrical lines, telephone lines, and water lines are severed, this is not just a glass cup placed over the town. But as I said, the book (and the show) are not about the dome -- it's really about the people in the town, and also about the nature of mob mentality and mass panic, as well as politics and religion.

Movie magic! Wind machines:
    [​IMG]
    Bad for dialogue.

8. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member Thread Starter

I assumed it went down some ways. Just digging under it would be too easy. I assumed they would try at some point, but find that something stops them. Hadn't really thought about it being a full sphere though.

9. gottafeelin

gottafeelin Forum Resident

I know exactly how this is all going to end from watching the first episode and I didn't even read the book. It will be discovered that Barbie is the...(gottafeeling starts shaking violently while muttering "stars are falling in a line, stars are falling in a line")...........

10. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

I kinda liked it compared to all the other crap on network television.

kevintomb and Vidiot like this.
  11. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

I thought the same thing, but it's a TV show.

12. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I agree 100% with this. I just told a friend of mine today, "as bad as Under the Dome is, I think it's 276 times better than either Revolution or Falling Skies, and those shows are relatively huge hits."

Under the Dome is also a very slick, good-looking show. DP Cort Fey does an exceptional job with the photography on the series.

JimC likes this.
  13. I have never read the book but the pilot was light years better than most of the sad-sack trash the networks run in the summer.

14. mrbillswildride

mrbillswildride Internet Asylum Escapee 2010, 2012, 2014

Yeah, my wife yelled out from the living room that this show/series was starting and that 'the dome was coming down.' I hopped of SHTV, walked into the living room and saw the cow get sliced in half and the cowboy touch it and put his bloody print on the dome. Shook my head, turned around and came back here. Life is too short to waste it watching that worthless crap.

I'll pass.

rburly and shokhead like this.
  15. Scott222C

Scott222C Loner, Rebel & Family Man

Maybe he read this great novel from 1963 and got "his" idea ......

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wall_(1963_novel)

16. kevintomb

kevintomb Forum Resident

Hopefully it will be better than Terra Nova.............

But seriously, if they gear it too much towards the people and the town....many will cry, its just a lot of drama and people type interaction, but no real science or exploration or explanation.....

Or...
    If they gear it towards finding the solution and a lot of science, many will fall asleep and say they are ignoring the people, and how they would cope with such an event.....

It can not totally win either way.

But so far I like it, I was interested. I did not feel like changing channels, except that there were about 26 commercials..............way too many !!

17. RickH

RickH Connoisseur of deep album cuts

Watched it last night, liked it and will tune in next week. Seemed like something Rod Serling could have done.

18. kevintomb

kevintomb Forum Resident

Thing is, if this idea came out back then in the late 50's or early 60's we would all be praising it to heaven, we are too cynical now....!

RickH likes this.
  19. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Acting or the script or the director made me not care by the 40 minute mark. I'll just go ahead and judge early, no thanks.

20. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I'm on the fence. It's not that great, and I have never been a King fan. I'll watch another episode or two and decide. I do like a few of these actors enough to do that.

21. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

Even though I've been down this road before with these kind of TV series (see Jericho etc). It was interesting enough that I will continue to give it a shot (at the very least on my DVR).

22. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I thought the acting was generally OK. Script was generally OK.

Then again, I stuck with Revolution through the end of the season, and that assuredly was kind of sucky of both counts. I guess that says I'll stick around for entertainment, even if it's not "new golden age of TV" quality...

23. tcj

tcj Senior Member

Please, come on, if it hasn't happened in an episode yet, DO NOT DISCUSS IT YET. No matter how small you think the detail is, you are spoiling things for those of us who haven't been on this "journey" as some of you keep mentioning that this is. Let us discover it as it happens, and when it does and it's different than the novel, THEN let's talk about it - and ONLY that. Please?

Scotian and Aggie87 like this.
  24. Dance Mxyzptlk

Dance Mxyzptlk Forum Resident

Is Pauly Shore going to be in this one too?

25. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

It's a competently produced network series which means it will never have the teeth of a Breaking Bad or Game of Thrones but it was good enough that I'll keep watching for awhile.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.