Understanding Speaker Specs

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by BizBork, Mar 30, 2023.

1. BizBork

BizBork Forum Resident Thread Starter

Over the past few months I've done a little bit of system upgrading, and I'm getting to a point where my audio hobby has led me down a few paths of seeking specific types of audio themed knowledge. For instance, cartridge loading--to be completely honest, I didn't even realize this was a thing. For the longest time, I had my TT and 440MLA Cartridge. The music sounded good and I was content. When I finally upgraded to a 540ML cartridge, someone on this forum (I think it's in the dedicated 540ML thread) told me about cartridge loading and I was sort hooked from there, and it carved a role on how I thought about my Hifi moving forward.

All this to say, I'm at a point now where I could use some knowledge about what to look for when upgrading a pair of speakers. For reference, here is my current setup:

Turntable: Technics SL1200GR
    Primary Cartridge: AT-OC9XML
    Secondary Cartridge: AT-VM540ML
    Current Integrated Amp: Cambridge AXR85
    Primary Amp (In the shop): Marantz 2238B
    Phono Pre: Pro Ject DS2
    Speakers: Polk Signature S15 Bookshelf speakers

I've been pretty content with the sound of the S15 speakers, but I am super curious what they would sound like compared to something like a pair of $750 Klipsch RP 600M II bookshelf speakers.

My main question to the group is, what is the biggest factor when looking for a pair of speakers and how they would mesh/synch with my system? What spec should I look at as a main deciding point? I've used the comparison tool on Crutchfield's site to look at the differences between the $250 S15 and the $750 600M II, and I'm even totally sure what I am looking for.

2. LostArk

LostArk Forum Resident

Disregard specs, you gotta listen!

3. ngower

ngower Forum Resident

Find a hi-fi shop and tell them your wants/interests and they'll give you some options to listen to. Some shops will let you bring in your own gear to audition so you get a better idea of what you're getting into as well.

__Patrick__ likes this.
  4. __Patrick__

__Patrick__ Forum Resident

1. Figure out the sound signature you like. Is it warm & lush OR neutral Or super detailed where you gotta hear everything OR bass heavy, etc.
    2. Do some research after determing #1 and narrow your choices down to 5? or so brands you can hear.
    3. Go listen in person. If you plan on keeping your amp, bring it along so you can hear it driving speakers in question.

Good luck & have fun! It really should be fun researching.

5. __Patrick__

__Patrick__ Forum Resident

Absolutely bring your amp if you are keeping it. Don't feel stupid about bringing your amp in - that is smart!
    I've even brought small bookshelf speakers to a dealer in order to pair up an amp.
    Glad I did, the amp I thought I'd purchase did not mesh well with my speakers and I bought a different amp from that dealer.

3 Dealers near me have loaned me amps & dacs to take home and test. One worker at a shop even loaned me subs, which
    apparently he was not supposed to do (another guy said we're not supposed to loan speakers). Makes sense, speakers can
    get really heavy and they are very easy to tell sound signature differences between.

6. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

with your amplifiers speaker sensitivity and impedance curve specs will greatly influence the sound you hear.
    higher the better

7. BrentB

BrentB Urban Angler

About the only one I pay much mind to is efficiency. Using lower wattage vintage tube amps kinda dictates I do. The rest is based on drivers and the size/amount of drivers. The higher the efficiency the more volume will be produced by a given amount of wattage.

8. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian

I never believed that measurements will tell me how any equipment speakers or components really end up sounding to me. Final analysis always falls to listening. My ears don’t hear “numbers”. It’s the sound of music I judge.

9. jcn3

jcn3 Forum Resident

@BizBork -- with the amps you listed, efficiency and impedance curves are both valuable. neither of those amps are powerhouses, so i would anticipate that lower efficiency speakers (unless you have a pretty small room) will not be very satisfying. in addition, i would avoid speakers where the impedance curves drop below 4 ohms -- you'll likely hear compromised bass with speakers that do.

ultimately, listening is what matters, but those two specs can be reasonable guidelines.

Rick58 likes this.
  10. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Just because a speaker costs more, doesn't mean it will sound better. You may hate the sound. I've heard some of those newer Klipsch speakers and they were like icepick ear murder to me. Some people love them. Go listen or do home audition. If home audition, do not buy anything without a no questions asked return policy if you can't get traditional home audition with deposit at a local dealer.

As mentioned a big thing with speakers is how much power they need. You should have an idea of your listening volume - if not, get a dB meter or do a janky measurement with a phone app. You can run some calculations and figure out (broadly) if a given set of speakers will work for you.

Where things get tricky is you are using an old amp that was designed in a time when speakers were fairly efficient. Nowadays many bookshelf speakers are not very efficient, and notwithstanding factory specs for nominal impedance, many models have impedance measurements that dip to 4 ohm or below. I can't say how your amp handles that type of speaker. Maybe it will be fine. I would email the manufacturer of your secondary amp to get answers about that one.

11. Rich-n-Roll

Rich-n-Roll Forum Resident

I would not go with a Bookshelf from Klipsch if your going to buy some thing from them I would stick with something from their Heritage line if you have the room for them, If you like the Polks why not just upgrade to the next level in there line of bookshelves say the Signature ES20.

You also have to consider what it is your not getting from your current speakers it could be something as simple as a the room and where you have your speakers placed, maybe they don't fit the room or maybe it's time for a bigger monitor style or a tower

As far as speaker specs I see them as more for something for the manufacturers and a reference point for the consumer your will be your best guide after it's you who has to live with whatever you decide

Cheers man hope you find what you like

12. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

You've got some nice turntable gear and what looks like a close to $3k investment there. I would probably be looking in that same price range for speakers. IMO, speakers should be the biggest investment one can afford after listening of course.

13. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

The Klipsch will NUKE those puny Polks. Sorry about the Hulk joke; the Polks are really nice and good speakers, but since you're wondering, the Klipsch are just SO superior. While you're at it, consider a pair of Klipsch floorstanders for little more money, and thank me later.