Unexpected photos of your favorite musicians together?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by antonkk, Jul 14, 2013.

1. twistandshout

twistandshout Forum Resident

Mickey Dolenz and Tom Petty:

[​IMG]

2. twistandshout

twistandshout Forum Resident

Perry Como, Frank Sinatra:

[​IMG]

3. cungar

cungar Forum Resident

[​IMG]

I believe this is from the Fort Collins show where Elton played with the Stones and pissed off Keith. Elton recalled the show:

"Cocaine gave me too much confidence for my own good. If I hadn’t been coked out of my head when the Rolling Stones turned up in Colorado and asked me to come onstage with them, I might have just performed 'Honky Tonk Women,' waved to the crowd and made my exit. Instead, I decided it was going so well, I’d stay on and jam along to the rest of their set, without first taking the precaution of asking the Stones if they wanted an auxiliary keyboard player. For a while, I thought Keith Richards kept staring at me because he was awestruck by the brilliance of my improvised contributions to their oeuvre. After a few songs, it finally penetrated my brain that the expression on his face wasn’t really suggestive of profound musical appreciation. I quickly scuttled off, noting as I went that Keith was still staring at me in a manner that suggested we’d be discussing this later, and decided it might be best if I didn’t hang around for the after-show party."

You can see the Stones pretty much give him the cold shoulder as they walk on stage. He was the biggest solo rock star in the world at this time.

4. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Be yourself or don't bother. Anti-fascism.

well I didn't expect this

Debbie Harry and Ronnie Spector!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Be yourself or don't bother. Anti-fascism.

Another unexpected one (like the ones above, this may have been posted before, I don't know)

Bruce Springsteen and Ronnie Spector.
    Now, Bruce and the E Street Band did play on Ronnie's 7" in '77 (which was supposed to be an album, but Steve Van Zandt didn't have the time, with the Hearts Of Stone album and then Darkness studio work),
    and she did sing onstage with him and the E Street Band live in '76 and '77,
    but this photo is clearly earlier than that.
    (he shaved his beard in '76)

[​IMG]

Matthew Tate likes this.
  6. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

[​IMG]
    The Grateful Dead and Bo Diddley

7. Seabass

Seabass Old Git

[​IMG]

Adam Ant and Jimmy Page. Tatler 2014

8. cungar

cungar Forum Resident

From a Benefit concert for McCabe's Guitar shop in Santa Monica in 1984

Elvis Costello, Richard Thompson, John Hiatt T-Bone Burnett, Jennifer Warren.

[​IMG]\\\

+ Jackson Browne and Warren Zevon

[​IMG]

9. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Paul McCartney & Phil Keaggy
    (1990)​

As they say.... that's Rock History!

Boomer City interview (circa 2014):

"I did get a chance to play at Linda McCartney sister's wedding (Robin Eastman) back in 1990. As a result of that, I had a chance to just sit down and play guitars with Paul McCartney for about 20 minutes.”

I excitedly interrupted him on that one. Why? Well, my closest and dearest friend knew one of Phil’s brothers. That brother knew that Roderick was a fan of Phil’s and gave him a photo of Phil and McCartney playing together at that wedding. I’d seen the photo back in the early 90’s before the internet was dominant and before that picture and many others were scattered all over the ether. It’s an amazing photo that you can see here.

When I asked Keaggy if he’s had any other interaction with Sir Paul, his characteristic humility showed itself, again, in his reply.

“Oh, no, no. I'm just a drop in the bucket, just one little fella that, in a moment in time, had a chance to shake his hand and pass on to him a guitar that a friend of mine had made. It was a left-handed guitar – a left-handed acoustic guitar - and asked me if I would see if I could put it in Paul's hands. I said, ‘I'll try’. As a result of presenting him with this gift, he asked me, ‘Where's yours?’ And I said, 'Oh, it's over there.' 'Get it out.' And then we just sat down and picked on a few of his tunes, not my tunes.

“He didn't know my songs, of course. Although, I did sing three songs in the wedding and one instrumental. He was very encouraging, you know, like a big brother, like a producer would say (sliding into a British accent), 'You did a fine job. You have a nice voice. Remind me a bit of James Taylor.'

“I mean, he was a great influence on me from a melodic standpoint, a tonal standpoint, vocally. One of the great, great writers and artists of all time, of course, and it was an honor to meet him. I was it was kind of surreal, actually.

Then, circling back to finish his answer to my question:

“No, we've not. It's not the kind of thing where he would ring me up and say, ‘Hey, Phil, how are you doing?’ But it was nice. It was a nice meeting. It was a nice occasion. And of course, Linda's sister, Laura, (the one who) got married. She's a believer and a really nice person. Both she and her husband have been friends all these years. We've gone to Italy where they live; visited them when I was doing concerts over there some years ago - many years ago."

Last edited: Apr 23, 2021
    mmars982 likes this.
  10. AlienRendel

AlienRendel Senior Member

[​IMG]

Keith, James, John
    Odds that any of them remembered this night?

11. cungar

cungar Forum Resident

Peter Gabriel with Pete and Rog

[​IMG]

12. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

[​IMG]
    Jaco Pastorius and Jimmy Page April 30, 1985 at the Lone Star Café, New York.

13. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

[​IMG]
    John Cipollina and Link Wray

Jonny W, Crungy, gd0 and 3 others like this.
  14. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

Damn. That's unexpected and totally cool.

Jonny W and John Fell like this.
  15. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Debi Mazer on the far left but who is standing between Madonna and Weir?

16. uzn007

Looks familiar but I can't ID him.

17. uzn007

[​IMG]

I ran across this on Reddit.

Keith Richards, Daryl Hall, John Oates, Ron Wood.
    Tina Turner, Mick Jagger, Madonna, Bobby Dylan.

intv7, Cast Iron Shore, goer and 4 others like this.
  18. George the Cat

George the Cat Forum Resident

Eleven out of ten on the cheeseometer scale.

Crungy, Matthew Tate and uzn007 like this.
  19. AlexDelarge

AlexDelarge Forum Resident

Really good photo of all of them, especially Jagger and Dylan. So young...I'm guessing picture is from '85?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  20. uzn007

Sounds about right. I didn't see any specifics on the Reddit post unless they were buried deep in the comments, but it certainly looks like 1985.

21. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

They look like a nice group of young men gathered together to play their particular brand of electrified music.

22. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

john and link were good friends. they played together several times.

uzn007 likes this.
  23. davmar77

I was there!

John Fell likes this.
  24. davmar77

this took place after the firm played Madison square garden earlier that night.

John Fell, uzn007 and Matthew Tate like this.
  25. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Perhaps around Live Aid since they all played at the Philly show?

Matthew Tate likes this.