Unfortunate product name

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by William Bryant, Jan 26, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Subagent

Subagent down the rabbit hole, they argue over esoterica

I think you're supposed to end with, "dammit!" At least that's how my grandad it.;)

SirMarc, kevywevy, jtw and 4 others like this.
  2. William Bryant

William Bryant Forum Resident Thread Starter

And how was this not the company’s intention from its inception?

3. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

One could argue you're not being exactly open-minded in dismissing an entire company based solely on the letters appearing on the front but if you're that easily up in arms over something so trivial, OK.

SirMarc and ssmith3046 like this.
  4. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

I was once run over by a Toyota. Oh what a feeling.

macster likes this.
  5. Dream On

Dream On Forum Resident

The name irritates me for the reason you describe, but also because I find it gimmicky and manipulative. Just give yourself a good name and earn your success by making great products. Do that and make your name mean something, rather than make your name a talking point because of how "funny" it is. And it's not really all that funny; like Balthazar says, it gets old really fast, and if you think about it it's not very creative.

It wouldn't stop me from buying a product of theirs if I really wanted something they make. I find their products look cheap however. But I gather, from what people say, the build quality is actually pretty good.

Anyways, it's an easy avoid for me. Lots of great products out there to choose from.

formu_la likes this.
  6. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Built well, solid. Industrial design. I did not buy my first DAC from them because I thought the name was funny or clever. I bought it after reading reviews and researching comments from owners on this and other forums. I didn't buy my second DAC from because I thought the name was clever, I bought it because I so impressed with the first DAC. You get a lot for what you pay. But, there are plenty of other companies out there as you point out.

33na3rd, SirMarc and Strat-Mangler like this.
  7. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

OK, Kellogg's Sugar Pops
    [​IMG]

had to change its name because of the unfortunate reputation of sugar
    [​IMG]

And - this is very difficult to find in stores now. I had a craving for this about a month ago and it took a few weeks until I found it in one grocery store. Several other stores that carry cereals did not have it. It used to be one of the most popular ones.

CBackley and Gumboo like this.
  8. JanJ

JanJ Forum Resident

Back to the original question: Audio Note cable range called 'Isis' dates to just about the time before the islamic group Isis became known internationally. Why they didn't change the name afterwards, dunno? Maybe AN had ordered/manufactured so many hundred meters of cables already stamped with the name that they decided to stick with it?
    Btw. There is also CD-player by Rega named Isis: Rega Isis review | What Hi-Fi?

I once bought an Audio Note Isis power cable from a fellow AN user and agreed to pay via bank transfer. Without thinking twice I added the message to the transaction (needed in our country) "Isis power cable"... and after a while the seller was asking if I did make the payment as he did not see the money on his bank account. It turned out my bank had rejected the transfer due to that 'Isis' in the transaction message.

9. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

I would have guessed that such a reference was meant to be name of an ancient Egyptian mythological figure, not the organization which you seem to believe. Should all references to ancient Egyptian mythology now be forbidden which coincidentally share the lettering of modern acronyms which are not PC? :doh:

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
  10. Balthazar

Balthazar Forum Resident

The Isis power cable has amazing synergy when used with the al-Qaeda interconnects and Hezbollah speaker cables. :laugh:

Seriously, whenever I think of Isis I still think of the Egyptian deity and the Bob Dylan song.

11. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

I remember the good old days when a product name generated pride of ownership...

[​IMG]

12. MilMascaras

MilMascaras Musicologist

Two companies who names I dislike because they are 'stupid cheeky':
    Soylent - health food stuff company
    Pink Taco - A Mexican casual dining chain...

just, head shake and avoid, cuz they think they are so effen clever... whatever...

action pact likes this.
  13. Beatleboy1968

Beatleboy1968 Forum Resident

One of the most popular ice creams in Australia is the Golden Gaytime.
    Company tag is "it's hard to have a Gaytime on your own".
    Take this brother...May it serve you well;)

14. Peter_R

Peter_R Maple Syrple Gort Staff

Folks, let's not get into personal attacks or bickering.
    Let's stay focused on the topic at hand.

Please & thank you.

Beatleboy1968 likes this.
  15. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

In the words of George Carlin on bad words:
    "There is absolutely nothing wrong – There is absolutely nothing wrong with any of those words in and of themselves. They’re only words. It’s the context that counts.

It’s the user. It’s the intention behind the words that makes them good or bad. The words are completely neutral. The words are innocent. I get tired of people talking about bad words and bad language."

Also: "“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.”

SirMarc, toddfan, ssmith3046 and 2 others like this.
  16. William Bryant

I never would have started this thread if I had just seen a product called Isis. I’ve known about the Egyptian deity for more than 50 years.

What I saw though was a product called ISIS.

Seems like an icky association to me but I guess that’s just me. To be clear, even if it means repeating myself, I don’t feel threatened by the brand-name or offended; I just don’t like it because I associate that acronym with something unpleasant.

17. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

The first thing I think of when I see the word Isis is the Egyptian reference or the Bob Dylan song or magazine.

TarnishedEars likes this.
  18. William Bryant

Me too but what I saw was ISIS.

19. dividebytube

dividebytube Forum Resident

I own a Schiit Mani, and yes, before that I felt the same way. But hey - made in America plus Mike Moffat designed? Sign me up!

Luckily there is no Schiit script on the front plate, just a stylized S. Followed the the model name.

[​IMG]

Strat-Mangler and ssmith3046 like this.
  20. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

I used to rep a company called Lucifer Lighting. They made very good stuff, but I did have customers that would not use it because of the name. And of course if you just guessed at the name, their website may not be where you wanted to go. The owners would make sure to tell you that "Lucifer" means "bearer of light" but I don't see why you would want to alienate potential customers because you think the name is clever. You could say the same for Schiit, but they carry the humor through across the line and site and they are playing on a word that is probably the silliest bad word in the language. (cue the Carlin routine!)

RhodesSupremacy and ssmith3046 like this.
  21. William Bryant

I think I’ll develop a frequency response analysis product and call it ANAL.

22. Kyle Mooney

Kyle Mooney Kwisatz Haderach

LoveSac...honestly who wants to sit on a couch named love sack?

ssmith3046 likes this.
  23. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

Love sack, baby, love sack.

KeninDC and Kyle Mooney like this.
  24. Jimi Floyd

Jimi Floyd Forum Resident

33na3rd, SirMarc, BayouTiger and 5 others like this.
  25. Dream On

Dream On Forum Resident

That would actually be the median, not the average. Just thought I'd point that out. :laugh: ;)

Wigru and MGW like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.