Unfunny Comedies?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by driverdrummer, Jul 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Saintbert

Saintbert Forum Resident

Have you ever watched a film and only realised afterwards that it was categorised as a "comedy". I watched The Weather Man (2005), and wasn't expecting to see Nicolas Cage in a "comedy/drama". I was expecting something like the Michael Douglas picture, Falling Down. And was still expecting it when the film ended. Only afterwards, can I think back to scenes that were maybe supposed to be funny, but just seemed tragic to me.

Lightworker and unclefred like this.
  2. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

Agree with the above! Dead Men Dont Wear Plaid is a pretty good early one too, he was very consistent up till LA Story, might be the last one he wrote as well, since then he's been cashing a check doing remakes and sequels and occasional serious fims

unclefred and HenryH like this.
  3. Steve was excellent in Novacain, but that’s a neo- noir thriller, not comedy.

4. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Been awhile since I saw that one, but I remember laughing at a fair bit.

5. Complier

Complier Senior Member

"The Bad News Bears Go To Japan"

6. fr in sc

fr in sc Forum Resident

I never understood why so many people thought Cheers was funny. For some reason, that show just never did anything to tickle my funny bone. And now I will retreat to this chair to duck the verbal brickbats that will no doubt ensue, like they did when I expressed that opinion 30 years ago.....:hide:

7. fr in sc

fr in sc Forum Resident

LOVED Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid although most of my friends didn't back then because:
    1. They didn't watch old movies and didn't really know who Bogart, Laughton, Gardner, et al were, and
    2. It was in black and white; that instantly turned them off.
    I always wished they had done a sequel of it featuring that nude scene by Rachel Ward. Rrrrrrowwww!!

8. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

I thought Bowfinger, though lighweight, was funny.

knob twirler likes this.
  9. unclefred

They would have ruined Fargo.

Lightworker and fr in sc like this.
  10. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

"Bowfinger" is awesome - arguably the best movie Steve Martin ever made!

blutiga, razerx and unclefred like this.
  11. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

"Dance, mailman, dance!"

12. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

Somebody picked up"Welcome To The Doll House" from the comedy shelf at the video store one Christmas weekend.
    I'd probably have found that funny if I enjoyed snuff movies and small animal torture videos. Truly a mean-spirited film.

13. socorro

socorro Forum Resident

Paul Blart Mall Cop (the sequel)

I got dragged to this because my kid was on a play date and her friend chose it. To this day she and I marvel at how hard it sucked farts out of bus seats. She was around 11 -- the target audience -- and none of the jokes landed.

14. Dave112

Dave112 Forum Resident

One stinker that I remember was the film version of The Beverly Hillbillies. Terrible movie! They should have just spliced together clips from the original TV series. At least there would have been some funny moments in it.

fr in sc likes this.
  15. eric777

eric777 Astral Projectionist

I didn't think it was funny either. Then again I don't think most sitcoms are funny.

Crimson Witch and fr in sc like this.
  16. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

I didn't realize "American Hustle" was a comedy until after I watched it and read reviews. Guess it went over my head.

17. Propinquity

Propinquity Forum Resident

Watermelon Man

18. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

My wife must have worked with someone who enjoyed pulling her leg. She came home with two recommendations for comedies-- "Fried Green Tomatoes" and --wait for it --The White Dog.
    I wonder if someone could have sold her on Pulp Fiction being a comedy.

19. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

I look at Pulp Fiction as being a bit of a black comedy, yeah- but then I have a pretty warped sense of humour, so...:shrug:Laughing my ass off at Travolta trying to revive an OD'd Uma Thurman and "Oh, man, I just shot Marvin in the face!"...my wife just looked at me like I'd sprouted a second head and said, "You think this is funny?":laugh:

blind_melon1 and ianuaditis like this.
  20. I can't believe they tried to make Kevin James a movie star. He's annoying.

beat_truck, ianuaditis and The Panda like this.
  21. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I showed the wife Keitel's verbal abuse of Travolta and Jackson. She did crack a smile or two. Well, basically that whole sequence is 'The Cat in The Hat' for adults.

22. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

"PF" is one of the very few movies I've seen that prompted some audience members to leave. After a while, an African-American couple left, presumably because they'd had enough of all the "N-words" in the film...

ohnothimagen likes this.
  23. unclefred

So, maybe off topic. Sorry. But I hit youtube last night while having cocktails and ran into the old Dean Martin Roasts from Las Vegas MGM Grand. I remember watching those shows with my folks when I was a little kid. Man, those people were so funny, witty, cruel and wonderful. We're talking people like Don Rickles, Nipsey Russel, Lucille Ball, Jonathan Winters, Freddie Prinze, Gabe Kaplan, Jimmy Stewart, Milton Berle, George Burns, Sammy Davis Jr., Redd Fox.

Is it a mystery how we went from that to the moronic potty jokes and relentless middle school f bombs that are fobbed off as humor today?

But then, maybe those guys were the cream and there was also plenty of low IQ bad humor then as well?

Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
    Michael likes this.
  24. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

2018 SNL...sickening.

25. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

so agree on this! bravo...

unclefred likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.