Unfunny Comedies?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by driverdrummer, Jul 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I think the added bits to Blues Brothers were uneven. I liked the little moments, like showing that the Bluesmobile was parked in a strange alley filled with electrical discharges (which Aykroyd later explained is one possible cause for the car's "magic" powers), but other things, like the 6-7 minute Cab Calloway performance, were way, way too long.

hi_watt likes this.
  2. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Weekend At Bernie's , rubbish ! walked out

xdawg likes this.
  3. kouzie

kouzie Forum Resident

Where's Poppa is one of my favorite comedies of all-time!

midniteinsanjuan likes this.
  4. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

You mean you haven't seen the ones I mentioned?

5. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Didn't forget it - just don't like it that much! It's okay, but it's not a Sandler fave...

6. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

No. Life's too short.

7. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I recommend you see at least those two. They are better than the other Sandler movies. They are actually good.

8. Laineycrusoe

Laineycrusoe Forum Resident

Probably the worst comedy I've ever seen in my entire life is The Cat in the Hat, based off of the Dr. Seuss book. I'm not sure how many adaptations there are of the story, but there are two particular adaptations that people remember: one is an animated TV special from 1971 which is generally praised by audiences, and the other is the awful live action movie, which I'm going to talk about here.

I was about nine or ten when this movie was released. I remember seeing adverts for it, and even at that stage I thought it looked incredibly repulsive (and it was marketed as a kid's movie, so the fact that I, part of the target audience, didn't like the look of it was an early warning sign of what horrors were to come). I didn't want to see it, but my parents dragged me to see it anyway at the cinema, probably under the impression that because it was a kid's movie, I'd get some enjoyment out of it. We sat down, the film came on, and…it was even worse than I imagined. Not once did anyone in that room laugh or even giggle, and it was fairly obvious that everyone, the kids and their parents, felt uncomfortable sitting there watching this abomination unfold on the big screen. Not only was it unfunny, but it also blatantly insulted the audience's intelligence as well as the original source material - I hate movies that have no respect for the intelligence of the audience, but especially kid's movies that do it (The Garbage Pail Kids Movie and Foodfight! are other notable examples where the filmmakers clearly thought kids could be entertained by anything - I've said this before, but kids aren't idiots; they can tell when something that's made for them was done by people who respect their intelligence and when something is clearly pandering to the lowest common denominator). The movie was so horrible that my parents came to their senses and we walked out before it ended, thank goodness, but I also feel sorry for the other kids and parents in that room who had to sit through to the end of that wretched movie. I assume they were hoping in vain and desperation that something good would eventually happen at some point, but no; I've heard from people who've had the misfortune of seeing the whole film, and it turns out nothing redeemable happens, but I'm not at all surprised to learn that - it's what I expected. Even thinking about it makes my skin crawl.

If you want an idea of how unspeakably hideous this movie was, just check out the Nostalgia Critic's review - he sums it up perfectly so I'm not going to repeat everything he said about it.

9. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

OK, I'll give them a shot if I see them in my local listings.

:righton:

10. MadMelMon

MadMelMon Forum Resident

Thing about this thread is that truly bad comedies are completely forgotten, even more so than just plain bad movies.

For example, have you heard about this one?

[​IMG]

If you ever wanted to see Roger Moore participate in a hit-in-the-face-by-random-semen joke, this is your film.

I get a huge amount of sh** for this, but I'm 100% serious: Fargo and The Big Lebowski.

I love the Coen brothers' dramas (No Country for Old Men, Miller's Crossing,) but their comedies either get so deadpan they fall down completely, or end up so convinced of their comedic brilliance they they become insufferable.Yes, that rug really tied the room together, we get it.

Kevin Smith...I like him, I like his monologues, I liked the Clerks TV show. But pretty much all his films (excepting Clerks and Jay and Silent Bob) seem oblivious to comedic timing.

Which Pink Panther movie was cobbled together from unused footage after Sellers' death? The one with Ted Wass. That one...ouch.

11. LEONPROFF

LEONPROFF Forum Resident

You had me at Tom Green anything!

Fullbug likes this.
  12. aforchione

aforchione Forum Resident

With most of the movies mentioned, it's a pretty good bet that all involved were stoned when they came up with the idea and wrote the script, and they assume most of the viewers will be similarly buzzed when watching...changes everything.

13. socorro

socorro Forum Resident

This thread reminded me of a bunch of films I had mercifully forgotten.

Thanks Obama.

14. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

WTF?

Saint Johnny, Drifter and GregK like this.
  15. svoegtlin

svoegtlin Forum Resident

I'm a dedicated follower of Woody Allen. I've seen them all, the good ones (Annie Hall) the bad ones (Small Time Crooks) and the in betweens (Manhattan Murder Mystery).. That being said, I think Sleeper is absolutely unfunny. I know, I know, some would say it's one of his "golden comedies" but I just.. just can't watch it. No matter how many times I try, no matter what substances I use to try to enhance it.. it's just plain awful.

16. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

When I saw Sleeper I was literally rolling around the floor laughing.

Saint Johnny likes this.
  17. socorro

socorro Forum Resident

18. TED.

DLD and Mark Nelson like this.
  19. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

:confused: Have you really never seen this before? It's been a thing for years now. Always said with something totally unrelated to him. "Damn...it's raining AGAIN. THANKS, OBAMA!"

goodiesguy and Dudley Morris like this.
  20. synchronizer

synchronizer Forum Resident

I originally thought that Elf was funny, but I don't think so anymore. Will Ferrell is not very good and/or the movies he takes aren't good.

Also, Jimmy Fallon dilutes the comedic effect of anything; he can't seem to stay in character for long enough.

Fullbug likes this.
  21. MadMelMon

MadMelMon Forum Resident

Thought of another one: Hardbodies. 80's teenage sex comedies are rarely masterpieces, but this one feels like a bunch of dirty old men came up with the crudest jokes they could imagine. There's a character called Jerkovsky.

Oh, and...

[​IMG]

22. socorro

socorro Forum Resident

23. BadJack

BadJack doorman who always high-fives children of divorce

I'll never see this movie but this review made me laugh.

svoegtlin likes this.
  24. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Ah okay, I get it now. Completely missed the context.

25. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

Anything with Tina Fey and Amy Poehler. It confuses me how American's find these two funny.

jonathan, paulewalnutz, JFS3 and 5 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.