“Universal” DAC? To play any disc?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Vinny123, Jan 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vinny123

Vinny123 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Just wondering about that. But what sort of transport set up would be needed? How could you do multichannel?

2. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

Are you asking about a a DAC, or a disk player? Your post makes it sound like you might be asking about the latter.

And if that is your question, then the answer is that there used to be lots of universal disk players out there. Some of the few universals remaining are the Oppos. And these can play almost any format.

3. Vinny123

Vinny123 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Sorry for the ambiguity. I’m asking about a stand alone DAC.

4. Kal Rubinson

Kal Rubinson Senior Member

There are several multichannel DACs.
    Single box DACs include miniDSP uDAC-8, exaSound e38, Merging Technologies NADAC-8, MSB TheaterMaster.
    Three box DACs include 3xPlayback Designs Merlot DACs (plus USB-XIII interface), 3xMytek Brooklyn DACs (Mac-controlled only at this time)
    other options include many preamp/processors and AVRs

scobb likes this.
  5. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

That one does look nice and is at an attractive price, hum.

USB Audio Streaming : U-DAC8

I wonder how it compares to those higher priced models continually discussed round this forum?

6. harby

harby Forum Resident

You say disc formats, so we have to assume you are using a disc player. HD disc formats are copy-protected; you have limited connection options if you play by the rules.

For example, if you have an Oppo that will only output SACD digitally over HDMI wrapped in copy-protection, you'll need a HDCP-licensed DAC with HDMI input and DSD support. The only other "Disc" formats one needs to worry about are DVD-Audio, which may include surround sound needing up to 5.1 outputs, or up to 192/24 stereo PCM, and also requires HDMI copy protection for digital output. HDCD... not worth mentioning.

Both of these fading formats are much easier to put to use just using the player's built-in analog outs.

If you expand to other formats not disc-based, you might have more requirements. If you have a PC that you want to play double or quad-rate DSD over PCM (DoP), you'll need a DAC that accepts that format, probably over USB, and has a suitable bit-perfect driver.

7. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Most of us end up ripping our discs to file based server drives and go to a DAC from there. It's getting easier by the day to do this. It's the bright future of these music programs. The bright future of the fading formats. I like that.

8. BSC

BSC Forum Resident

I use a Bryston BDA-3.

9. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Quite a Beauty in the $2,500 to $3,000 range!

Does it do multi-channel output?

10. Kal Rubinson

It is pretty good for the money although it does not do DSD.

11. Kal Rubinson

Doubtful.

12. BSC

BSC Forum Resident

Not to the best of my knowledge.

13. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

One could always stack up three of them for a 5.1 output. What's a few bucks when your having a good time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.