Universal SACD/DVD-A players.....

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by davef, Mar 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. audio

audio New Member

What about the new Philips DVD963SA? I've been considering purchasing one of those because they say that even the redbook cd playback is comparable with any of the audiophile players up to $1000. This machine seems like a great universal machine, with the exception of HDCD and DVD-A. Apparently, thought, because of the upsampling, standard cd playback is superior to HDCD playback on a machine that accepts that format. Any comments??

2. davef

davef Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks for all the advice, everyone!

I just picked up the Yamaha, open box (but apparently never played) for $799 with option within 30 days to take it back if I want to. Looks like I can get a Denon HDCD player for around $300 if the rack will permit...

The bass on my Fragile DVD-A is boomin' as I write! :cool:

3. Everest Dave

Everest Dave New Member

The Marantz DV8300 just got trashed pretty good in the latest edition of the absolute sound.

Dave:eek:

4. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Yeah, they said the Marantz had lousy SACD performance - not even an improvement with their redbook reference.

5. Mick Jones

Mick Jones Senior Member

No great surprise, surely? This Marantz is based on a very mediocre Pioneer player, as are very many of the recent universal machines.

6. peter

peter Senior Member

Yes. I auditioned the Marantz DV8300 last week and with a $7,000.00 KEF speaker set up to boot. I played the Neil Young/Harvest DVD-A and the Pink Floyd DSOTM. I auditioned them both in 5.1 and 2-channel stereo. I was not impressed.

My $600.00 Sound Dynamics speakers from 1995 (purchased because of a rave review in TAS) sound better, though not multi-channel of course.

Sad.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.