Universal selling CD-R as original pressed CDs?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by parsec, Apr 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I hear the arguments that these pressings match the red book standard and likely contain the same audio content as older factory discs but as an example I will use my Honda CR-V's player and tell you that for some reason it recently gave up playing CD-R discs; it was always a little flaky with them before. Factory pressed discs however present no problem for this player. Why? Because they are not the same. Most importantly CD-R media has a much shorter shelf life never mind that the artwork for these pressings is often sub-par. Also don't forget used market re-sale value - that's a while other sub-discussion (think you'd last long selling CDs on the forum here without mentioning them being burned?). For the record companies to be honest they must at least be very upfront about how the disc is made, that you are getting a CD-R. For them to be totally fair these should cost half as much. That's about what I would be willing to pay and only if a used factory disc was not an option.

-s1m0n-

2. Takehaniyasubiko

Takehaniyasubiko Forum Resident

CD-R is garbage quality. Never buy them. You might as well burn your own. These companies are getting way too greedy.

ClassicalCD, SOONERFAN and tmtomh like this.
  3. SOONERFAN

SOONERFAN Forum Resident

I am looking to purchase several of the Frank Zappa "Joe's ....age" series titles and the Zappa "One Shot Deal" release all distributed by Universal. Should I be worried about receiving CD-R discs? Has anyone purchased these and were they all factory pressed discs?

4. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

A lot of car CD players have problems with CD-Rs. But if yours used to play them and now can't, I'd be concerned that the laser assembly in the player is going bad and will eventually be unable to play pressed CDs as well. I went through two factory Honda players in my wife's Accord - the first one was replaced while the car was still under warranty, but I gave up after the replacement eventually refused to play CDs as well after a few years of service. I wasn't willing to absorb the (considerable) out-of-pocket expense to get yet another replacement, and since she only listened to CDs in the car occasionally, it wasn't a huge loss.

The kiss of death used to be indicated by the code "P-EO" being displayed when a disc was inserted. Not sure if this is still the case with CD players in newer Hondas.

SimonSaysCake likes this.
  5. SOONERFAN

SOONERFAN Forum Resident

Wanting to purchase the McCoy Tyner recordings he did for the Milestone label on CD. I am afraid I will get "official label CDR" if I purchase new via retail. Anyone know? There do not seem to be many used copies available.

6. It turns out you are correct, the Honda is complaining about some factory pressed discs too now :( That said, it still plays most but rarely like any CDr I try so recordable CD media is definitely a culprit here as well. Fooey.

On a bright note, a CDr I bought (knowingly) off ebay 15 years ago still plays and rips fine! Sort of amazing actually. Pretty sure it's Mitsui brand.

-s1m0n-

7. MonkeyLizard

MonkeyLizard Forum Resident

A CD-R should be advertised as such, end of story.

Dave likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.