Unofficial members important to the band

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Madrid, Jan 27, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaveinMA

DaveinMA Some guy

The first one that came to mind was John Simon with The Band, maybe partly because the thread title has "the band" in it.

2. blivet

blivet Forum Resident

I'd argue that their contribution to the band's creative output is not on the same level as that of Ian Stewart and Bill Wyman.

Granted they haven't had the same opportunities to work on new stuff as the other two, but even there, it's hard to argue the "band" needs a bass player when the band as such barely exists except as a touring entity.

Hep Alien and Canyon Hiker like this.
  3. Houston_Music_Fan

Houston_Music_Fan Forum Resident

All that may be true, I have no idea, but the band did engage in revisionist history after Moraz's sacking, claiming he was never a member of the band. He was listed as such on the albums released throughout the 80s. They even took to airbrushing him out of group photos lol.

Hep Alien and Kent Gray like this.
  4. sddoug

sddoug Music Aficionado

My first thought when I read the title of this thread was not guest musicians but rather people critical to the success of a band. And my answer to that take was Shep Gordon who helped mastermind the success of the original Alice Cooper band.

5. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

I would maintain the Nico was never a proper member of The Velvet Underground. More like a temporary guest singer. I guess she created some useful friction.

Hep Alien, Sean, Scott 4 and 3 others like this.
  6. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

This is a weird one as they recently altered the band logo to include Rob but he doesn't seem to be on any of the current magazine covers.

7. Producer Chip Douglas should probably also be included as an unofficial Monkee. He played bass on Headquarters and P, A, C & J.

8. blastfurniss

blastfurniss Forum Resident

Great examples. Purple's lineup finally achieved stability after Morse replaced Blackmore. Morse's tenure has to be close or greater to Blackmore's at this point.

I'm curious why some bands go the route you mention and why others go the "featured player" route. I'm guessing it's some combination of legalities, finances, and ego. I also wonder how many guys are like Steve Perry that still retain an ownership piece and get paid even if they aren't involved in the band any longer.

Hep Alien likes this.
  9. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

:thumbsup:

[​IMG]

keefer1970 and blastfurniss like this.
  10. Colin Allstations

Colin Allstations Forum Resident

I thought they added him when he officially joined?

11. Standoffish

Standoffish Smarter than a turkey

Eddie and Iron Maiden

Donfrance, rockphotog, Sean and 3 others like this.
  12. Vinyl Socks

Vinyl Socks The Buzz Driver

Daniel Lanois, Brian Eno - U2

13. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

He has, but I'm not sure how "important" he is.

Daryl's a fine bass player, and he's worked well in the band, but AFAIK, he doesn't play a role beyond bass player, and the Stones could easily find a replacement if he quit.

I picked Leavell because he maintains a more important role in the band hierarchy. He doesn't just play keys...

Hep Alien likes this.
  14. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Of course not. Almost no "legacy bands" ever officially change members anymore.

I'd be hard-pressed to remember the last decades-old band that called a new member "official". Maybe the bass player in Metallica?

15. shnaggletooth

shnaggletooth Senior Member

Sloan and Barri for The Grassroots. Well, actually, in the beginning, they were The Grassroots.

16. shnaggletooth

shnaggletooth Senior Member

And Peter Holsapple.

lou likes this.
  17. Hugh McDonald with Bon Jovi, until recently. He’d been their studio bassist since the first album and unofficial bassist since the mid-’90s, but wasn’t made an official member until a couple of years ago. His being older than the others and unrockstar-looking might’ve had something to do with his longtime exclusion...

Hep Alien and aravel like this.
  18. Lindystar

Lindystar Well-Known Member

Dan Healey- The Grateful Dead

Vinyl Socks likes this.
  19. Les Nougat

Les Nougat Forum Resident

He's been in all the recent reunion photos I've seen and they have also added him to the old Supergrass logo they have resurrected for the reunion. The only thing I haven't seen him in is the Q magazine front cover but that may have nothing to do with the band.

Essential member whether he is official or not - imagine Supergrass without the keys.

20. Billy Infinity

Billy Infinity Beloved aunt

King Crimson.

Oatsdad likes this.
  21. zen

zen Senior Member

That was 2003. Deep Purple did the same with keyboardist Don Airey becoming an official member (w/ Jon Lord's blessing).

Hep Alien likes this.
  22. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

Sandy Pearlman, Richard Meltzer, and Patti Smith - Blue Öyster Cult

Pete Puma likes this.
  23. Emilio

Emilio Senior Member

Helen Terry in Culture Club.

Thorpy and Cryptical17 like this.
  24. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Level 42 [ 1980-94]​
    Wally Badarou - Piano, Keys & Percussion

[​IMG]
    Mark King, Boon Gould
    Mike Lindup, Phil Gould
    & Wally Badarou (glasses)

Wally Badarou was a long-time associate with the British band Level 42 often contributing on keyboards, synthesizers and programming. He has co-written and performed on a number of the band's tracks since their recording debut in 1980, later co-producing them.

Though never an official member of Level 42, he could be considered a de facto "fifth member" of the band's classic line-up from 1980 through 1988, as he played keyboards and synths on all their studio albums, and co-wrote and/or co-produced much of their material. However, Badarou did not play with Level 42 Live in concert.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
    Thorpy, Maranatha5585 and Kym like this.
  25. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

Stew even more so.

Hep Alien and Fullbug like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.