Unofficial members important to the band

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Madrid, Jan 27, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fletch

Fletch Senior Member

Clive Deamer-Radiohead

Madrid and ghoulsurgery like this.
  2. Isamet

Isamet Forum Resident

Im not criticizing your choice but Jones fits in exactly with the topic

3. Canyon Hiker

Canyon Hiker Forum Resident

I would wonder if Jason White (guitar) and Jason Freese (Keyboards) are considered band members of GREEN DAY? Jason White has been thier second guitarist since 1999 I believe.

Hep Alien likes this.
  4. JohnQVD

JohnQVD bought too many records this week

Richie Ramone. The Ramones were pretty moribund for a couple of albums before he joined. Things got a lot better musically when he joined up. They had four songwriters for the first time since Tommy left. He didn’t write a ton, but he had more songs on four albums than Marky ever had. They also gave him the lead track on Animal Boy. He ended up leaving because the sideman money wasn’t enough. He was cranky that his name was on the t-shirts, but he didn’t get a cut of merch because he wasn’t an official member. Things went downhill pretty fast after he left, too. Brain Drain was pretty good, but it gets pretty thin after that.

5. Cryptical17

Cryptical17 Forum Resident

Thom Doucette

Allman Brothers Band harp player. He was asked to join the band but never did formally. According to Thom, he didn’t want to get involved in a full time gig.

Hep Alien likes this.
  6. Cryptical17

Cryptical17 Forum Resident

Jim Seiter- The Byrds

Jim was the later day Byrds (1969-72) tour manager who usually played percussion instruments onstage. Also on their ill-fated 1971 LP “Byrdmaniax.”

Madrid likes this.
  7. Madrid

Madrid Forum Resident Thread Starter

Can't imagine they have much of a following on here but don't Scottish pop-soul hitmakers Wet Wet Wet have an unofficial guitarist who plays live and appears on their albums but is never in any publicity?

8. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I forget - was Terry involved with CC beyond 1983, really?

Can't recall if she was still there for "Waking Up..." and the late 1984 shows.

Agree she played an important role when she was there!

9. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Someone else mentioned him so I didn't chew that fat twice! :D

Say It Right likes this.
  10. pig bodine

pig bodine God’s Consolation Prize

Sly Stone's dealer

Sean and Fullbug like this.
  11. bgart13

bgart13 Forum Resident

Ed Stasium and Monte Melnick were important behind-the-scenes members of The Ramones from early on. Ed added a number of guitar parts over the years too. Heck, Walter Lure played on a few of their albums as well and was in a sense an important part of the band for some of the 80's. Could probably say Daniel Rey too.

12. FLF

FLF The insurgency began and you missed it.

Shout out to Morgan Nicholls who carries a lot of weight for Muse (shows..not in the studio).

Madrid likes this.
  13. blivet

blivet Forum Resident

I think you're right. You can even see it in how she was credited separately. It was "The Velvet Underground and Nico".

The Velvets are funny. A lead singer who wasn't actually a member of the band. A different lineup on almost every album. An album credited to the band featuring no original members and that virtually no one considers a part of its discography.

I suppose there are other groups that were less stable, but I can't think of any offhand, and certainly there can't be many who were as influential.

14. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Marty Craggs was an unofficial member of Lindisfarne (sax, accordion, vocals) for a few years before becoming a official member. Steve Daggett joined the band onstage and helped out in the studio around the time of the Dance The Night Away record. He's now an official member of the current line-up, and Steve Cunningham took over bass duties along with engineering, allowing Rod Clements to concentrate on slide guitar, between 1989 and 1994.

15. blivet

blivet Forum Resident

I read someplace that when Eddie Jobson joined Roxy Music, he came on as an employee of the band rather than a full member. Supposedly the band owed a considerable amount of money at the time, and to become a full member, he would have had to assume a portion of that debt. Kind of an interesting twist on the "hired hand" trope.

16. Ghost of Ziggy

Ghost of Ziggy Forum Resident

The guy who plays behind the curtain for The Edge, I forget his name.

17. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Well, she wasn't the lead singer. Lou was. Andy Warhol persuaded them adopt Nico to 'sex up' the group for the publicity machine. It was never their idea. It was telling that Reed wrote Sunday Morning for her to sing and then, to everyone's surprise, sang it himself.

With regards the albums and the line-up, one core member changed half-way through their four album history. The 'last' album was not a VU album at all as it had neither Cale nor Reed on it.

Hep Alien likes this.
  18. extravaganza

extravaganza Senior Member

I was going to mention Brown as an unofficial member of Klaatu for the first three albums, although who was officially in the band was (infamously) a bit nebulous during that period. He certainly played a huge role in putting that stuff together.

19. Freezerburn

Freezerburn Spendin' Monopoly Money

Terry Brown - Rush
    The unofficial 4th member and producer

Without him as Rush's producer, our heroes jump headfirst into Nerdrock. Disaster ensues, and the next 3 records hit the cutout bins in rapid succession.
    Too bad some of us paid full price at date of release. :magoo:

Instant Dharma and Sean like this.
  20. The Gomper

The Gomper By Your Side?

Seems that Tom considered him a member of the band

BluesOvertookMe and Hep Alien like this.
  21. zen

zen Senior Member

David Wheat, the Kingston Trio bassist.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

oldsurferdude and Dudley Morris like this.
  22. Maranatha5585

Maranatha5585 BELLA + RIP In Memoriam

Jakko Jakszyk of King Crimson worked with Level 42 also.

longdist01 likes this.
  23. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

Robert Hunter (Grateful Dead lyricist):

[​IMG]

24. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Terry Lawless

This thread reminds me of some acts who give their sound guys nearly even status. Kraftwerk, Mission of Burma and Portishead. I think one of the 4 kraftwerk guys onstage is doing lighting.

Ghost of Ziggy likes this.
  25. Vinyl Socks

Vinyl Socks The Buzz Driver

Maybe Bear, too...but then the list grows...they had some great engineers!

Lindystar likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.