Unrelated cd’s with the same barcode?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Mbe, Aug 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mbe

Mbe Forum Resident Thread Starter

I ordered a pre-owned cd from a major online retailer and today received a totally unrelated release of a different artist = So what?
    Nothing unusual about that, a simple mistake happens every day.

The cd ordered was Deadly Care by Tangerine Dream, what I have actually received is an unapproved cd release of
    The Indiana Jones Trilogy performed by The City of Prague Philharmonic Orchestra conducted by Nic Raine (wtf).

All the retailer is aware of at this stage is that a customer has been in contact (online message) having received an incorrect item,
    they are unsure which item of two outstanding this relates to (confusion enters).

Meanwhile I have stumbled upon what could be the cause of the mix up and this is where it gets a little odd;

Tangerine Dream Deadly Care - U.S Silva Screen Records CD Barcode 738572101329
    Tangerine Dream - Deadly Care (Original Soundtrack Recording)

The Indiana Jones Trilogy – Silva Screen Records CD Barcode 73857210139
    The City Of Prague Philharmonic Conducted By Nic Raine - The Indiana Jones Trilogy

Both of the above have variants with unique specific barcodes.
    Think a phone call will be required to resolve this situation

Has anyone experienced this before?

Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
  2. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

Discogs is only as accurate as the person who enters the info on their site. They do have errors on their database since it is a community based database that anyone can participate and upload info. The correct barcode for the Indiana Jones Trilogy is below:

The Tangerine Dream barcode is correct for that Deadly Care CD:

Hope this helps you.

Mbe likes this.
  3. Mbe

For a moment or two, but alas...

My scan (below) of the actual Indiana Jones cd barcode I received today which corresponds with the discog info, the info in both cases is correct for these editions.
    [​IMG]

...it was only a moment or two :)

4. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

Wow, that's sick! Same barcode for two different CDs on the same label:

[​IMG]

Mbe likes this.
  5. Mbe

Extreme caution advised when purchasing Tangerine Dream Deadly care from any outlet that relies solely on a barcode system.

The image (below) is from an ebay UK listing (world of books)

EAN: 0738572101329
    Title: Tangerine Dream – Deadly Care TV Score /// Tangerine Dream – The Indiana Jones Trilogy (bet no one has this cd)

Item Description;
    Please note, the image is for illustrative purposes only, actual CDs cover artwork and / or esdition may vary (you don't say) :)
    [​IMG]

Quality Guaranteed :)

6. Mbe

I suppose these two are more closely related;

Blondie – Parallel Lines CCD 1192 – 5013136119220
    Blondie – Best of Blondie CCD 1371 - 5013136119220

[​IMG]

Only possible/available for a short period as the ‘Best of’ was later corrected, initially with a sticker (what could possibly go wrong).

Missed out (2) from the original post as both Indy and TD are/were 738572101329
    The images do show this to be correct :)

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
    Dave and tmtomh like this.
  7. Romerovm

Romerovm Forum Resident

Wouldn't it be easier to go by catalog numbers instead of barcodes? The Blondie example shows that if someone follows the cat #, there wouldn't be any issues getting the desired CD.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.