Unreleased 6/6/1962 Beatles EMI Session Tape, Geoff Emerick*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by iDigital, Jun 13, 2020.

1. Chuckee

Chuckee Forum Resident

I did notice the wikipedia article said it was Ringo's first session, which June 6 was not. So Sept. 4 makes sense.

2. Bill Cormier

Bill Cormier Forum Resident

How did this turn into a "Film" as some are now posting here? The article only mentioned "Recording".

3. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Funny, looking at this again, Emerick was born 5 December, 1945. That is, he had turned 16 at the end of 1961.

LFSDoc likes this.
  4. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

Just wait. By Monday it'll be a 3D hologram.

5. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

I think there was another article - this time from the other oracle of truth - The Sun, which referred to a film. I put it down to poor / lazy journalism.

6. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

The article, rightly or wrongly, refers to a "video".

guppy270 and Bern like this.
  7. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Of the Beatles doing a hitherto unknown medley titled The Inner Carnival of Light.

SBC and Wildest cat from montana like this.
  8. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

The confusion is the OP didn't mention anything about a video:

Nevertheless, the original story is in the Sun:

A COURT battle is set over a demo recording of The Beatles — thought to be worth around £5million.

The video shows the band performing for the first time at Abbey Road Studios.

It was discovered in the estate of the group’s ex-sound engineer Geoff Emerick, who died aged 72 in 2018.

The tape belonged to EMI — which was acquired by Universal Music Group in 2012.

Mr Emerick, who worked for EMI, said he was told to destroy the recording because it was not of good enough quality.

But he secretly kept it in its original box in a safe at his Los Angeles home.

A legal showdown between his family and Universal over who should have the tape is expected to begin in California on Tuesday.

A source said of the video from June 6, 1962: “It’s an amazing find.

"It’s been estimated at £5million but could be worth much more.”

It was filmed before Ringo Starr joined as drummer. Songs include Love Me Do.

Mr Emerick’s family argue they are entitled to keep it because of finder’s law.

Universal say the law does not apply because he had been told to destroy the recording.

The source added: “Despite wanting it destroyed, Universal all these years later want it back. They know how huge this find is."

Major court battle worth £5 million set over a secret demo of The Beatles

Clearly something was lost in translation. Actually, several things. Which then got worse when the Daily Mail picked up the story:

The Beatles' old Abbey Road jam session worth $5 million is 'at the heart of legal battle' | Daily Mail Online

9. Chuckee

Chuckee Forum Resident

Is it possible the Sept 4 session was the one they played the slow Please Please Me. The Andy White version would be at the session a week later. Beatles Bible mentions it being recorded on the Sept. 4. session, if not recorded at least rehearsed.

10. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Yes they were awful at jamming. Great at other things.

11. cs2003

cs2003 Forum Resident

Ernst Jorgensen (who looks after Elvis Presley's archive) has a policy of "no questions asked" when somebody wants to return a record company tape, even if they are trying to sell the tape to him.

The difference between Elvis and The Beatles archive releases is frequency, Elvis has had multiple releases every year for the past 20 years with a total of almost 200, so Ernst is desperate for unreleased material they don't have in thier archive.

The Beatles can play hard ball and go the court route even if it takes years because a project to release this tape might not happen for 10 years.

12. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Crossed my mind too. An LP dub in mp3 format.

13. Elliottmarx

Elliottmarx Always in the mood for Burt Bacharach

Brilliant, I had a solid, sustained laugh reading this. You won the internet for today.

Crimson Witch likes this.
  14. Juan Hitwonder

Juan Hitwonder Forum Resident

Does the 1963 jam tape include the early demo version of "Carnival of Light"?

willwin likes this.
  15. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

While there may be no questions asked, I'm sure there are price limitations.

16. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Good thing this isn't (supposedly) a tape of a jam session.

ajsmith and DTK like this.
  17. Chuckee

Chuckee Forum Resident

Could just be a rehearsal, Sept. 4 had a rehearsal, other dates likely did too.

18. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

A rehearsal wouldn't have been taped.

Bern likes this.
  19. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

Baroque would be more like 1663.

Paulwalrus likes this.
  20. Chuckee

Chuckee Forum Resident

Most likely, I doubt a jam at that point would be either.

21. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

There wouldn't have even been a jam. "Jam" is never mentioned in the original story.

22. hominy

hominy Digital Drifter

I bet the skiffle version really jams.

mrdon likes this.
  23. cs2003

cs2003 Forum Resident

For Elvis that is the case, which is why some material is not bought by the record company.

24. cs2003

cs2003 Forum Resident

Not this tape but The Beatles also had a jam session at Abbey Road in 1964 ? with Carl Perkins.
    I think Perkins took the only tape with him after the session.

joshm2286 likes this.
  25. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

He (apparently) visited the Matchbox session, but there's no evidence he ever played with them.

Was There A Carl Perkins Recording Session With The Beatles in 1964?