Unreleased 6/6/1962 Beatles EMI Session Tape, Geoff Emerick*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by iDigital, Jun 13, 2020.

1. Bern

Bern JC4Me

Thanks...Had trouble seeing the difference between it and the local controls on the deck.

2. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

In the photo we have, the tape box is only partially shown close-up and so there is no sense of exactly how large the box might be beyond the frame. But I can at least say the scale of the tape legend on the back of the box is consistent with a 10.5” EMItape box of the era.

The 14” reel thing would certainly be a plausible explanation for how they could’ve spliced the complete mono and twin track tapes together, but if there’s such thing as a 14” EMI box, I have no idea what it would look like. And I don’t think the box shown in the photo is it.

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  3. jtiner

jtiner Forum Resident

I looked up the minute orders for the hearing that happened today for this case. Why am I not surprised:
    "The Court finds that additional evidence by supplemental declaration or additional documentation is required..." and "The Petition - Determine Ownership /SNIP/ is continued to Friday, November 5, 2021 at 9:30 AM".

4. iDigital

iDigital Forum Resident Thread Starter

Great, so now we continue to wait, oh well !!

longdist01 likes this.
  5. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Looks like I was pretty close when I posted this earlier in the year:

OldShiftyEyes, jtiner and marklamb like this.
  6. Arnold Grove

They likely will continue to do this for a few more years until no one even remembers what they are arguing about, and no one even cares.

7. jtiner

jtiner Forum Resident

I think there's some minor movement in the background from the titles of some of the documents that have been filed. I think if anyone was inclined to buy/download the case documents starting with the petition, it'd be possible to get an idea of where both sides are heading. It also appears there are significant legal fees involved. But in the end, I think you may be right and some of this is stalling on UMG's part, perhaps to get the estate to cave on some kind of deal.

longdist01, lukpac and Arnold Grove like this.
  8. Arnold Grove

Another prediction:
    On November 5, 2021, I guarantee that the judge will allow the proceedings to be pushed back another bunch of months until March 2022.

9. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

It's almost like the Peter Jackson movie. Delay. Delay. Delay. :uhhuh:

kt66brooklyn and longdist01 like this.
  10. iDigital

iDigital Forum Resident Thread Starter

11. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

I think the Peter Jackson movie was only delayed once, for the pandemic.

12. Tom Daniels

Tom Daniels Forum Resident

Unfortunately, Mark Lewisohn is writing the briefs for both sides. He is currently up to 1875 on the judge’s family history.

13. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

:laugh:

14. etye214

etye214 Forum Resident

Hi guys, does anyone have the up to date court documents?

15. Mike Visco

Mike Visco Forum Resident

if you want to split hairs-it was supposed to be delayed to August 2021. So technically delayed twice.

16. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

Somewhere this humble tape sits in a box, in the eye of a hurricane of money and greed.

I just want to hear it.

17. johnny moondog 909

johnny moondog 909 Beatles-Lennon & Classic rock fan

Longtime sweetie ! Someone might pop in here with the document info. What about you ? Did you find the secret 5 song 76 reunion tape ! Happy Feeling !!!

I hope you have a good music attorney on contingency at this point. Since the record company was playing such hardball tactics with your family....

Just as a common sense guy, with no dog in the hunt. I question the whole idea this early tape is worth 5 or 10 million, there is far as I understand just or two alternate unknown takes & 1 song ? But I had kind of hoped the 4 or 5 or 6 heirs, might get a windfall of 50k-100k each, from the record company. Without big lawsuits etc.., maybe it is worth millions, wasn't it just an alternate take of Ask Me Why with Pete Best ? That was the good one ? What was it again ? 4 early songs but we have most of them already ..there was one we don't have....about on par say hypothetically, with the 63 One After 909 that finally came out on Anthology 95 vol 1...

I would've thought you or one of your cousins had the documents. Perhaps a cousin or family member older than you, taking lead position with a family lawyer

Last edited: Oct 2, 2021
  18. jtiner

jtiner Forum Resident

Court documents regarding the affairs of the estate are publicly available online (Superior Court of California), including the documents pertaining to the question of ownership of the tape. There's some type of per-page fee for the documents.
    EDIT: The next hearing related to the tape is scheduled for November 5th.

longdist01 likes this.
  19. Arnold Grove

And if they do anything other than delay the proceedings for another 6 months or so, then it will be a miracle.

20. Karl Denver

Karl Denver You’ll get nothing and like it!

Me too! If Universal gets ownership I’m sure we will never hear all of it(if any of it). My wish is the family retains ownership and the sell it to a European/grey market record company and they put the whole tape out!!

21. Lemon Curry

The 'Best' Beatles Session :)

22. hlennarz

hlennarz Forum Resident

I hope a lot of poor sounding Bootlegs will be made so Apple can source audio from those for their next anniversary set...

marcb, Smash, Paul H and 3 others like this.
  23. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

If the family retains ownership we'll probably never hear any of it. The likely outcome of that scenario is that they put it up for auction and it's bought by a wealthy collector and hoarded.

24. RAJ717

RAJ717 Forum Resident

...and accidentally pitched into the trash by family when he/she dies.

Paul H likes this.
  25. Lemon Curry

I dunno. If it were me and the court said it was mine, I'd monetize that sucker any way I could. Maybe a Netflix documentary, and then some sort of physical media audio release.
    THEN sell the tape to get it out of my hair!

marklamb, PhoffiFozz, Shawn and 3 others like this.