Unreleased Gary Moore album "How Blue Can You Get" out April 30

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JulesRules, Feb 19, 2021.

1. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug Thread Starter

Unreleased Gary Moore Tracks In New Compilation, How Blue Can You Get
    GARY MOORE: 'How Blue Can You Get' Collection Of Previously Unreleased Material To Be Made Available In April

Only eight tracks, but the first single is almost six minutes long, so it might be a typical LP worth of material.

01. I'm Tore Down
    02. Steppin' Out
    03. In My Dreams
    04. How Blue Can You Get
    05. Looking At Your Picture
    06. Love Can Make A Fool Of You
    07. Done Somebody Wrong
    08. Living With The Blues

1 is the Freddie King song also covered by Eric Clapton
    2 is the Memphis Slim instrumental made famous by John Mayall's Bluesbreakers (feat. Eric Clapton) and Cream
    3 is the pre-release single and one of Moore's self-penned ballads
    4 is the blues classic that most people know from B.B. King
    5 rings no bells, probably a self-penned song?
    6 oddly shares its title with a 1982 single that wasn't released back in the day. That is extremely poppy, so either Gary reworked it a great deal or it's an unrelated song...
    7 is an Elmore James song that Gary already did on "Old New Ballads Blues", so maybe this is an alternate take or a more different version. I feel that "In My Dreams" might also originate from that period, as it sounds like Don Airey on keys.
    8 is the title of a traditional but might also be a song of Gary's

2. Bullis

Bullis Forum Resident

Another guy that I like to listen to. Started to get into him and he was gone.

longdist01, serj and JulesRules like this.
  3. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

Need to explore his back catalogue but not really into Blues! Might give this a listen though.

sathvyre, longdist01 and JulesRules like this.
  4. ABBDutchFan

ABBDutchFan Forum Resident

Press release:

Provogue will be releasing a new album, featuring previously unreleased material, from the iconic blues-rock master Gary Moore. How Blue Can You Get will be released on 30 April. This month marks ten years since the tragic passing of the iconic Northern Irish musician and singer-songwriter. He left behind, not only an incredibly formidable back catalogue of music from his esteemed solo career, Thin Lizzy, Skid Row, Colosseum II and more, but also a legacy matched by few others. Venturing deep into the Moore family archives, some previously unheard and unreleased deep cuts and alternative versions surfaced to accentuate the beguiling mastery of one of blues’ finest modern exponents. Amongst the songs are unheard and unreleased Moore originals – “In My Dreams,” a lusciously glorious slow-moving ballad with every note and bend weeping as Moore pours out his heart along with the stunningly melancholic “Looking At Your Picture”. The album kicks off a rip-roaring take on Freddie King’s “I’m Tore Down,” a Moore live favourite before he slips into a previously unreleased virtuosic version on Memphis Slim’s “Steppin’ Out.” Elmore James’ “Done Somebody Wrong,” is another that showcases his blues chops, as does the enormous 7-minute never been released before scorching take on BB King’s 1964 hit “How Blue Can You Get.” An alternative version of “Love Can Make A Fool Of You,” makes itself at home deep into the blues-rock heart of Moore, in a way that his most loved songs do, whilst the finale soars into the stratosphere with the beautifully aching “Living With The Blues.” Despite often being the youngest member in his slew of teenage bands, Gary called the shots. By the age of 15, he was arguably the best guitarist in Belfast, and through the release of the John Mayall/Eric Clapton Bluesbreakers album in 1966, he discovered the blues. In 1990 he released his biggest success, Still Got The Blues. In its ascendancy, the blues were driven by the Blues Brothers movie, John Lee Hooker’s internationally successful album The Healer and the rise to Stevie Ray Vaughan’s stardom. He continued his love affair with the blues for the rest of a career, highlighted by opportunities to play with Albert King, BB King and Albert Collins. His legacy will live on, and he has and will continue to inspire, from Joe Bonamassa to Paul Gilbert, and Kirk Hammett to Zakk Wylde have all cited him as an influence. Talking to Rolling Stone magazine in 2011, Hammett said, “His influence is strong to the point that the opening lick of the guitar solo of “Master of Puppets” is a variation of a lick that Gary Moore played a lot. I remember the first time hearing his blues album and just getting totally blown away – not only by the playing but by the sound of it too, his tone. And I remember being so inspired that I wrote a couple riffs just based on his sound and his feel. And those riffs ended up in “The Unforgiven” on The Black Album.” “I met Gary Moore in London on 23 October 1970,” says long-time friend Bernie Marsden. “He was playing with Skid Row and my band Skinny Cat were opening that Friday. We were roughly the same age, dressed in a similar way, except for the beret he wore! We got along well – I immediately realised how good he was, but I also noticed that he was easy going, he cared about the support group and made an effort – believe me, that wasn’t always the case.” As we sit in 2021, Marsden looks back at those memories that he holds so dear. “Over the next years I turned pro and ran into Gary at gigs in London and socially at the Marquee. We would dig into our pockets and pool our spending money for those evenings but, because it was Gary, we were always offered a few drinks anyway! We spent quite a lot of time together when we weren’t gigging, and soon found out that we had the same influences, mainly Peter Green, Eric Clapton, and Rory Gallagher. I was also with him the day he acquired Peter’s Gibson Les Paul guitar.” He continues; “We remained close as the years went on, and in 1974 he rang me up to borrow a guitar of mine for a gig he was doing with Colosseum. I still have that guitar today. He was at my wedding in 1980, playing as a part of the pretty impressive house-band, others including Cozy Powell, David Coverdale and Don Airey! We stayed close, and last time we hung out together was on his UK tour with BB King.” Moore’s solo career was just taking flight when TOTO were heading into superstardom in the early 80s. Steve Lukather remembers Moore and reflects on his admiration for him. “Gary Moore was a force. His intensity, as well as his dynamic sweet soft tones, had such deep feel. He was a master, and I got to watch him play and meet him. He was a very nice man as well. His loss is felt by all who loved him, but we are blessed; we can still hear him play on the records, DVD’s, and all that will live forever. He was a one of a kind.” His influence continues to stretch and inspire. Chris Robertson, singer-guitarist for Black Stone Cherry, opens up about the power of his music. “Gary Moore took the blues and turned it on its head for me. His ferocity and his style of playing definitely has been an influence on me. There’s a ferociousness on what he does that can’t be matched.” Don Airey is another long-time friend of his. Reminiscing he says, “Gary was a great singer, lyricist and songwriter, and then there was his guitar playing to contend with, (not to speak of his coruscating Belfast wit).” He continues, “Working on the “Back on the Streets” album in 1978, Gary overdubbed six different solo takes on “The Road Goes On Forever” each of which was phenomenal, each one different from the others. He asked which I thought was the best. Making a choice, I ventured it would sound even better if double tracked. Having played it once and heard it once, Gary went back into the studio and double-tracked a 16 bar solo in a single take. Chris Tsangarides who was producing and engineering turned round and looked at me wide-eyed. Nothing was said. After a minute or so a voice came up from the studio “Was that any good?” “…Er yes” said Chris “Come in!”. Gary was the most astonishing musician any of us ever worked with and is still a musical reference point after ten years gone – always asking myself ‘Now what would he think of this!’ As the album of these unearthed gems begins to see the light of day, it highlights Moore’s depth and complexity and how his music has touched so many people. Finally, reflecting Marsden remembers, “We grew up in the business together, and he eventually became a major solo star. I wasn’t remotely surprised, of course, as his playing was so astonishing, a great showman and performer. But to me, he was first and foremost, my friend, and I still miss him today! Enjoy this rare recording.”

Source: Blues Magazine - Gary Moore - How Blue Can You Get | Blues Magazine

JulesRules likes this.
  5. JakeKlas

JakeKlas Impatiently waiting for an 8-track revival

The first single, “In My Dreams” sounds a lot like a cross between “Still Got The Blues” and “Parisienne Walkways”.

RichNY, Bob J and JulesRules like this.
  6. JulesRules

@ABBDutchFan
    Thanks!
    Odd that Don gets the song title *and* lyric wrong - I assume he's referring to "Song for Donna" which has the line "But the road won't go on forever"... :)
    I was also not really aware that "I'm Tore Down" was a staple of his setlists. He played it regularly in 1999 but never released a studio version. So I guess that would be an outtake from the time period of "Back to the Blues". And now I remember that "Livin' with the Blues" has already been circulating as a bootleg, labeled as an outtake from the Back to the Blues sessions.
    So the time span covered here is 1999-2006?
    It does! Add in a spoonful of "With Love (Remember)" and "Picture of the Moon". I guess this is why the song wasn't released back in the day. But I'll take what I can get.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2021
    JakeKlas likes this.
  7. I do very much like Still Got My Dreams . . . will be getting this.

Lonevej, JulesRules and Rufus rag like this.
  8. JulesRules

What bugs me a bit is the fact that the deluxe box has the exact same setup as the Live from London one. Not that there's anything wrong with that but... Live from London was cut to fit all songs on one CD. If they knew they had more stuff in the pipeline, wouldn't it have made more sense to simply leave one song off instead of editing solos, so that missing live song could be added to this new compilation/album?

9. JulesRules

New single dropped!

Much longer than the live version from Montreux, too.

longdist01 likes this.
  10. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

I'll pass on this despite Gary being my fave geetar player since I do not like his blues stuff much at all, but on the bright side I read somewhere that the powers that be are readying his last album for release which is supposed to be a (celtic) ROCK album.

HfxBob, Leigh Burne and hiterss like this.
  11. JulesRules

Coming out tomorrow! The ROCKS mag has an edit of "I'm Tore Down" on the accompanying CD, might be a bit of an exclusive?

12. JulesRules

Wow, I just heard "Love Can Make a Fool of You" on the radio. It's definitely the same song as that 1982 oddity but with quite a lot of lyrical changes, and a totally different arrangement.

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  13. JulesRules

Detective work:

So "Looking At Your Picture" is from the "Different Beat" period (Roger King credited with programming and no other musicians).

Vic Martin plays keys on all other tracks, and Pete Rees is on bass. So the only differences are drummers.

"I'm Tore Down", "In My Dreams" and "Done Somebody Wrong" feature Darrin Mooney and "Steppin' Out", "Love Can Make a Fool of You", "How Blue Can You Get" and "Living with the Blues" feature Graham Walker.

According to the official autobiography, Graham Walker only played for a short time with Vic Martin and Pete Rees, namely in 2000. Walker replaced Mooney, who was there from October to December 1999 and again from early 2001 to September 2001 (including the recording of "Back to the Blues"), and then became part of Scars.

So this is very much an alternate album to "Back to the Blues": The three songs with Mooney were either recorded during the 2001 sessions for the album ("I'm Tore Down" had already been tried out live, after all) or during/before their 1999 tour, whereas the other four were done during a 2000 session, which was not used later, perhaps because Gary's attention then got diverted towards the Scars project. Only "Done Somebody Wrong" would pop up again a few years later on "Old New Ballads Blues". And it also marks the last collaboration of Gary's with Graham Walker, who had been an integral part of Gary's Midnight Blues Band in the 1990.

What's a bit confusing is that Gary said in 2004 he left "How Blue Can You Get" and "You Know My Love" off the "Power of the Blues" album. If the credits are correct, this means there must be another unreleased version of "How Blue Can You Get", featuring a different line-up!

1 I'm Tore Down 6:10 (1999 or 2001)
    2 Steppin' Out 3:18 (2000)
    3 In My Dreams 5:42 (1999 or 2001)
    4 How Blue Can You Get 7:15 (2000)
    5 Looking At Your Picture 4:29 (1998/1999)
    6 Love Can Make A Fool Of You 6:23 (2000)
    7 Done Somebody Wrong 3:44 (1999 or 2001)
    8 Living With The Blues 7:13 (2000)

14. Sander

Sander Senior Member

Looks like an interesting release if you like Gary Moore’s blues playing (I do). How is the mastering on the CD?

JulesRules likes this.
  15. Station2Station

Station2Station Forum Resident

I hope this album delivers.
    Enjoyed his triple cd box, Blues and beyond, from a couple of years ago.
    Glad I got hold of that.
    Some new release cds are hard to find in stores.
    How blue can you get...will be delivered today!

JulesRules likes this.
  16. JulesRules

I'm surprised nobody has commented on hearing the full album yet! I've been pushing the purchase away because I'm a bit in the doldrums and I don't want to order from one of the big retailers. However, I did hear the odd song through Spotify's "mixtapes" for me and I think it will be a good listen...

17. JakeKlas

JakeKlas Impatiently waiting for an 8-track revival

I streamed it and enjoyed it, but didn’t think it was something I needed to own. I’ve got a lot of his blues material and didn’t think this added anything unique.

For me, it’s the perfect streaming album where it’s there if I want to hear it again, but not something I’d come back to enough to want to own it.

shokhead likes this.
  18. JulesRules

I've resisted the urge to stream it so far because Gary is one of my favourite artists and I want to have this on physical disc. Also, it will look good next to Live from London :agree:

JakeKlas likes this.
  19. Station2Station

Station2Station Forum Resident

Listening to this album, as I type.
    Strong album, hard blues.
    Gary plays his music with high energy.

Anthrax and JulesRules like this.
  20. Leigh Burne

Leigh Burne Forum Resident

I hope that's true!

Station2Station and Zackster like this.
  21. Comet01

Comet01 Forum Resident

I've just spent two hours trying to figure out which sessions these tracks are from. I should have checked here first!

Most of these tracks (except Looking At Your Picture from A Different Beat sessions) appear to be from the Back To The Blues era, however, they didn't seem to be outtakes from that album. I eventually concluded that there must have been from an abandoned album (or two!) in that era.

The thing that had me most confused was Peter Rees on bass. I couldn't find any mention of him playing with Gary in that era. I'm thankful that you were able to provide info from the autobiography.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2022
    JulesRules likes this.
  22. JulesRules

For weird reasons, I never picked up the CD (still plan to do it) but I did stream it in full a couple of times. I think it is a good release - and this version of "Done Somebody Wrong" is superior to the one that was released first (on Old New Ballads Blues).

23. JulesRules

That should have read "biography" :oops:

Anyway, I finally got the CD in its little box set and I think it's a nice addition to Gary's catalog. Here's hoping for more releases down the line.

24. JulesRules

I've just revisited this album yesterday and I think for something not planned as an album, it works surprisingly well. "Livin' With the Blues" in particular is a fine closer and up there with Gary's best slow blues.

Comet01 and Anthrax like this.